Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:12 PM   #1
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Ads on the backstop. I have HAD IT: One major reason why I just can't watch MLB on TV

..and there are other reasons, but this one has gone so far up my tailpipe, I just can't get past it. Look, I'm sure a lot of you aren't bothered by this, and I may sound like the old man in my avatar, but I think it's tacky, icky, and just plain ole' money grubbing. Plus, it's just another way to ring money out of you and me.

Let's look at how bad this has become. Example 1 is from 1986 and Example 2 is from 2018. I choose the Red Sox because they have become the most egregious of all:

In example 1, I can focus on the batter, the pitcher, and the catcher.

In example 2, I can't focus on ANYTHING except: Dunkin Donuts, National Car Rental, Fed Ex, AAA, Carmax, and some STUPID inaccurate pitch zone that's barely ever right.

I DONT WANT TO SEE THAT. I WANT TO SEE THE GAME!

<BLEEP> you baseball. You lost me forever as a viewer because of all this disgusting over marketing. It's only going to get worse. The jerseys are next. I may be wrong, and someone tell me if I am, but that ad money is lining pockets. I'd bet it's not going at ALL to salaries. This is another reason why I'm DONE.

Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by drksd4848; 04-20-2018 at 02:13 PM.
drksd4848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:16 PM   #2
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I agree with your sentiment and understand your position. But I am still not done.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:48 PM   #3
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Remember when baseball had ad's against pepper behind the plate?
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:26 PM   #4
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Remember when baseball had ad's against pepper behind the plate?
LOL yes I am old enough to remember “no pepper”. Not to be confused with our illustrious forum member.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:32 PM   #5
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

drksd4848 has a tremendous point. And I wonder about the jerseys being next myself. I dont have live baseball because the wife and I have those boxes kinda like Ruku. I follow live baseball with the MLB Gameday sim.
Kinda makes you wonder what sports will look like in another ten years.

I just took a 2nd look at the Red Sox and that is pretty obnoxious. Dunkin Donuts has the ad split on both boards where you have to actually look at both and then decide which special you want on the right.

Last edited by ForeverRoyalKC; 04-20-2018 at 04:34 PM.
ForeverRoyalKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:55 PM   #6
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Maybe it is because I am younger than 80
But it does not bother me. But I grew up on European football where ads are everywhere. After enough time they simply blend into everything else you are looking at.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:11 PM   #7
Jason
Hall Of Famer

I can understand your frustration if they bother you. Once you truly SEE them, it's all you can see. I've never been bothered by them because I just tune them out mentally but I've had other situations where things like this just drove me bat crap crazy.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:25 PM   #8
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
LOL yes I am old enough to remember “no pepper”. Not to be confused with our illustrious forum member.
I'm pretty sure either Crosley or Forbes Field had it prominently displayed on the backstop, which you could see when the camera angle behind the pitcher was finally introduced to the broadcasts circ. 1959.

They should bring it back. Only this time make it:

No pepper games. Unless it's DR PEPPER!

I should write backstop advertising copy.
drksd4848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:13 PM   #9
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

I think its tacky. But it doesn't bother me in the least. I barely notice them. Everything is sponsored by something to the point none of it stands out anymore. It's always "This inning is brought to you by........", "the (blank, inc) play of the game was......", "now for x company's keys to the game".........It's like living next to the tracks. After awhile, you don't hear the trains flying by when you sleep at night.

If you guys don't like it, make it a point to counter it. Go on the BoSox twitter page & post pic of you eating @ Krispy Kreme. Cause a backlash. Start a FB page for "Fans against Fenway Billboards" and encourage members to post photos of them patroning the ads competitors.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:04 PM   #10
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

The title of this thread is very clickbait-esque. All it needs is a sinker like "REASON SIX WILL SHOCK YOU!!!!"

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:38 PM   #11
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drksd4848 View Post
..and there are other reasons, but this one has gone so far up my tailpipe, I just can't get past it. Look, I'm sure a lot of you aren't bothered by this, and I may sound like the old man in my avatar, but I think it's tacky, icky, and just plain ole' money grubbing. Plus, it's just another way to ring money out of you and me.

Let's look at how bad this has become. Example 1 is from 1986 and Example 2 is from 2018. I choose the Red Sox because they have become the most egregious of all:

In example 2, I can't focus on ANYTHING except: Dunkin Donuts, National Car Rental, Fed Ex, AAA, Carmax, and some STUPID inaccurate pitch zone that's barely ever right.

<BLEEP> you baseball. You lost me forever as a viewer because of all this disgusting over marketing. It's only going to get worse. The jerseys are next. I may be wrong, and someone tell me if I am, but that ad money is lining pockets. I'd bet it's not going at ALL to salaries. This is another reason why I'm DONE.

Are you ok with the ads in Ebbets?

It's the same concept.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:39 PM   #12
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

to be fair, the ads in Ebbets feel more aesthetically pleasing to me.

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:53 AM   #13
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

drksd4848, I've been debating for a day whether to say something and what to say, because I know I could, and maybe should, share your outrage.

But the thing is, this is now. This is how. How I must view the game of baseball in the 21st Century, that is.

I, too, dread the prominent logos on team uniforms, the logo-themed bases, the commercials which will be superimposed on the field as you are watching play. I am sure that those are all coming, and more.

But until they ruin the game altogether in some fashion, which is not out of the realm of possibility by any means, I will continue to watch. And to ignore the ads.

I often swear to God, if these marketers and companies had to depend upon people like me for sales, they would dry up and blow away. Unfortunately, the way things are arranged now, so would professional baseball.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:48 AM   #14
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drksd4848 View Post

I have a hard time with it too. Especially when it has no redeeming aspect to it. When I was a toll collector I used to listen to all the games on the radio. I quickly found out that baseball is one of, if not the only sport that loses nothing when broadcasted over the radio. It's just as exciting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
Maybe it is because I am younger than 80
But it does not bother me. But I grew up on European football where ads are everywhere. After enough time they simply blend into everything else you are looking at.
Here's the thing. The upside to this in soccer is that there are no commercials in between play. But sports here won't do that. They'll add to their already existing format.

The NFL is the worst when it comes to commercials. They turn what would be an hour to an hour and a half game to an over three hour commercial marathon. This is why I only watch games important to me and simply tune out the rest.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:05 AM   #15
low
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post

The NFL is the worst when it comes to commercials. They turn what would be an hour to an hour and a half game to an over three hour commercial marathon. This is why I only watch games important to me and simply tune out the rest.
DVR is a blessing.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:40 AM   #16
Jason
Hall Of Famer

Regards to the Ebbets post, those weren't on the backstop behind the catcher, were they? Outfield wall and home plate are different.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:39 PM   #17
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Regards to the Ebbets post, those weren't on the backstop behind the catcher, were they? Outfield wall and home plate are different.
Since there was probably no live TV coverage of games, and with *that* camera angle in particular, there was really no point of putting (m?)any ads on the backstop; since there were very few seats in the outfield, you'd be putting up an ad there for the defending team to marvel at in its spare time...

Meanwhile, since we are in 2018 already, and we're all able to use a browser apparently, I have to ask the OP how he copes with constant ads in top bars, side bars, video ads blaring at him without asking for it from most every web page, stupid, often unskippable ads before every screaming Youtube video... and that static ad behind home plate is what errates you? Really? Be glad they still respect the pitcher trying to concentrate on the target and they're not flashing bright red and yellow all the time. By the way, the team goes to the bullpen, and this pitching change is brought to you by Boudreaux's Butt Paste.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.

Last edited by Westheim; 04-21-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 02:13 PM   #18
RchW
Hall Of Famer

I hope none of the no-ad guys wear team jerseys hats etc. or clothing/shoes etc. with logos.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 02:22 PM   #19
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

I sure know that I went out as recently as yesterday with a t-shirt with the BMW logo stitched onto the left chest. I really, really like that t-shirt. But I'm not on the anti-corporate billboard side of the line.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 02:53 PM   #20
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

There's only one way to watch Baseball - on the radio.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote