Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:43 AM   #1
DaBears
Major Leagues

Prospect Strategy

I have looked in the manual and searched this site, but don't see this anywhere. Does anyone know how to use "Draft Value, International FA Value, Development Value, Scouting Value" (top right of the screenshot) for your GM/Asst GM?
Attached Images

Last edited by DaBears; 03-13-2017 at 10:44 AM.
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:54 PM   #2
DaBears
Major Leagues

Anyone???
Old 03-16-2017, 05:31 PM   #3
slugger922cubs
Major Leagues

My guess is it corresponds to favoring players of International or draft prospects.

Last edited by slugger922cubs; 03-16-2017 at 05:34 PM.
slugger922cubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:37 AM   #4
DaBears
Major Leagues

Agree on the first two lines, but don't quite understand how those relate to the last two. Draft vs international almost seems like it could be labeled amateur vs international. Elsewhere, it seems as if scout value has to do with ratings vs actual results. Development would seem to be a belief that a player will get much better than he currently is. So you could take the last two lines and say it is the same as ability vs tools. I guess where I'm confused is this being one box where you use sliders. How do the four options fit together? Hmmm....
Old 03-17-2017, 04:48 PM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

from recent experience i've changed my thoughts in international scouting and what it affects.

Those sliders are how the GM chooses budgets for those various things. any related decisions will be influenced in some way by those sliders - either budget or behaviour relative to other managers choices.

Scouting budgets:

ML scouting - obvious
MiL scouting - obvious

Amatuer scouting - Draft, clearly, but i am nearly 100% certain it's the accuracy of international amatuer FA, too. (see below)... i am not sure about ratings of discoveries.. i simply don't care about them anymore they aren't worth it if this budget applies to int'l ama fa.

international scotuing - This one deals with Discoveries, not the int'l ama free agents.

i've recently used 1% for international scouting. I dump extra money into various things depending on what i am spending on that year... so the other 3 budgets are elevated even more than a max scouting budget can provide, typically.

when i sort those Int'l ama FA, their ratings got more accurate and did not lose accuracy... so i said... "hmmmmm?"

clearly, i got improved accuracy because i increased spending in a different scouting area while reducing that scouting budget to what amounts to ~0... the obvious answer is amatuer spending, not ml/mil obviously.

The discoveries are mostly crap in comparison.. .you do get lucky sometimes and a 1% budget is likely going to make that even more non-existent. the international amatuer FA may not have a high chance at development but you will find multiple qualtiy players each year (by potential).... way way more often than discoveries...

so, spending money in international scouting is one of the worst ROI's in the game... no argument about it... empirically true regardless of feelings. find GM's with that slider very low for better results, all other things remaining the same.

Last edited by NoOne; 03-17-2017 at 04:51 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:32 PM   #6
Klaus 74
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
The discoveries are mostly crap in comparison.. .you do get lucky sometimes and a 1% budget is likely going to make that even more non-existent. the international amatuer FA may not have a high chance at development but you will find multiple qualtiy players each year (by potential).... way way more often than discoveries
Yes, and I'm not quite certain about this but I think a way to get around spending needless money on International scouting is to adjust the slider to 0 or 1% in this area and when the IFA period begins request immediately a Scouting Report of any players of interest.
Klaus 74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:26 AM   #7
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus 74 View Post
Yes, and I'm not quite certain about this but I think a way to get around spending needless money on International scouting is to adjust the slider to 0 or 1% in this area and when the IFA period begins request immediately a Scouting Report of any players of interest.
i've been doing 1%, but spending tons on amatuer scouting... the july international ama FA are very accurate... so that must not be tied to international scouting...

almost 100% certain international scouting only applies to international leageus, and scouting discoveries.

you gain virtually nothing from international scouting if you don't have those leagues activated -- if it even applies to those leagues, that is... definitely worth a look even in that situation... if you maintain excellent or expected scouting accuracy, then it's not tied to it.

Last edited by NoOne; 03-19-2017 at 01:28 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:14 PM   #8
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

i'm not even sure it applies to discoveries, now!

i've been getting good discoveries over the first 5 years of doing this 0-1% international scouting budget.

i've gotten a 50's and a 70's / 80 in 5 years... i'd get that much or more often less while spending tons on int'l scouting from past experience.

small sample... still a bit unsure... but not likely wrong at this point. the frequency is so small for a good prospect... i could have been lucky 2 times... but not very probable that i would be that lucky.

i've always figured 1/10years or so from experience.. sometimes fewer sometimes more. (a good discovery something akin to ~70+/80).

my scouting accuracy has gone through the roof as i have the other three rnaging from 6.4-10.1M LoL! i may have to self-impose some scouting budget limits... but that's how i rein in my payroll spending... hmm maybe a hard cap for all...

Last edited by NoOne; 03-20-2017 at 03:17 PM.