Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:57 PM   #1
malor
Major Leagues

Scroll Bars - Any way to make them wider?

Is there an option to make the scroll bars wider?
Right now they are thin and difficult to click on. The color contrast also makes it difficult to find the actual part of the bar to click to scroll.
Thanks.
Tim
malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 04:20 PM   #2
texasmame
All Star Starter

They ARE awfully thin.

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
texasmame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 04:25 PM   #3
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by malor View Post
Is there an option to make the scroll bars wider?
Right now they are thin and difficult to click on. The color contrast also makes it difficult to find the actual part of the bar to click to scroll.
Thanks.
Tim
Really noticeable when viewing a boxscore.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:53 PM   #4
malor
Major Leagues

Markus,

When things quiet down squashing bugs, is there a chance the scroll bars can be made wider? Standard windows width would be great.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 03-23-2016, 09:29 PM   #5
BeanballComin
Minors (Double A)

As an alternate, try using the scroll wheel on your mouse.
It's easier, more robust, and efficient.
BeanballComin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:41 AM   #6
malor
Major Leagues

While the scroll wheels do help, they don't provide the fine control needed to navigate. On large screen like the Free agent screen they are perfect, but on most others the wheel does not work. You also still need to know which area you are in for the wheel to work so clicking the scroll bar still is required. Since everyone's mouse skills are different, what works for you, may not work for everyone else.

I'm simply asking for the default windows scroll bar that has been the standard for 20+ years and is used in every other software application that I use to be made an option so I can turn it on.

I have never understood the need for software developers to change a IT standard just because it is possible to do so. I work in IT and have developed web sites and applications. The first thing we were always told by users and UI experts is if it is not broke, don't fix it.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 03-24-2016, 07:12 AM   #7
GoBucsGo
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (4)
I thought I was the only one this bothered. Would be way more accessible if they were wider
GoBucsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:20 AM   #8
geoffmatt17
Major Leagues

Agreed. I have to deliberately aim my pointer, and that shouldn't be the case.
geoffmatt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:41 AM   #9
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by malor View Post
While the scroll wheels do help, they don't provide the fine control needed to navigate. On large screen like the Free agent screen they are perfect, but on most others the wheel does not work.
What do you mean the scrollwheel does not work? For me it works on every screen, throughtout the game, just as expected. Both Mac & PC.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:42 AM   #10
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffmatt17 View Post
Agreed. I have to deliberately aim my pointer, and that shouldn't be the case.
I didn't even know anyone still uses scrollbars... why not use scrolling via your mouse-wheel or the touchpad?
Old 03-24-2016, 07:49 AM   #11
GoBucsGo
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
I didn't even know anyone still uses scrollbars... why not use scrolling via your mouse-wheel or the touchpad?
In my case, I don't own a mouse, and my touchpad is probably the most awful thing on this planet. It barely works half the time. Thankfully I have a touch screen, but alas, the scrollbar is too thin for my fingers lol.
GoBucsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:38 AM   #12
geoffmatt17
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Typically this works fine, but I'm going to disagree with what was said above. The mouse wheel works great when you don't have to scroll much - ie lineup screens or roster overview screen. But, on a large page like Free Agents or Draft Pool, if I'm in the middle of 2,000 players and I'd like to get to the top, I need the scroll bar on the side. The mouse wheel will take about 30 seconds and a carpal tunnel surgery to get there, while the scroll bar takes me there instantly.
geoffmatt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:41 AM   #13
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffmatt17 View Post
Typically this works fine, but I'm going to disagree with what was said above. The mouse wheel works great when you don't have to scroll much - ie lineup screens or roster overview screen. But, on a large page like Free Agents or Draft Pool, if I'm in the middle of 2,000 players and I'd like to get to the top, I need the scroll bar on the side. The mouse wheel will take about 30 seconds and a carpal tunnel surgery to get there, while the scroll bar takes me there instantly.
Okay, that makes sense I guess. We'll look to increase the width for a future patch then
Old 03-24-2016, 09:38 AM   #14
malor
Major Leagues

Markus,

I'm going to second what geoffmatt17 stated.

I don't have a touch screen and probably never will (or at least until I have no more choice about what is available for purchase in the future). While the mouse wheel works fine for small scrolling areas like on the lineup screen, for me, it does not have the fine tuning I sometimes need on the free agent screen with large lists.

My own personal use style is to avoid using the keyboard as much as possible so the mouse is my primary interface for any game that allows me to do so. If I don't need to go between keyboard/mouse I actually spend more time playing the game vs. navigating the controls.

Us older folks do not have the fine motor-controls of a younger person, but we do have the money to spend on OOTP and other games if the interface is designed well. This also covers my issue with color combinations I have brought up in other threads. I want to sit and play for hours, but if the color combinations prevent me from doing so because of eye strain. I lose interest when forced to take breaks. With 11 seasons played from MLB 2015 pre-start (approx. 350 hours last time I looked) on OOTP16 from March 2015 (first time I purchased the game) through Feb. 2016 when I stopped between seasons to wait for OOTP17 release, I may not have been a vocal voice on the forum last year (I probably did read every thread), but I am an avid player and look forward to playing this game for many years.

The fact that I can provide feedback and actually have a developer respond and even makes changes based on my suggestions or even fix bugs faster than I can follow up on the original thread the next day for status is amazing. Please keep up the excellent work.

Thanks for looking at the scroll bar size. I'd look forward to seeing an adjustment in the future.

Tim
Old 03-24-2016, 09:43 AM   #15
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Markus posted that scroll bars widened in Saturday's patch.
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:04 AM   #16
MadKley
Bat Boy

i changed the skin to the dark skin, because i i need the scroll bars due to the fact that I use my Laptop and i don't want to use my mouse all the time. The change to the dark skin helps, even if i like the new skin more, but sometmes you havee to be practical.
MadKley is offline   Reply With Quote