Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 12-26-2014, 03:47 PM   #1
scootshoot
Bat Boy

Ernie Harwell, Baseball for Windows (Text to speech)

Anyone play Ernie Harwell Baseball for Windows back in the day? Play by play text to speech was amazing. Hopefully OOTP can improve upon the present text to speech option one day. Baseball for windows did not have career mode, it was just replaying seasons but the sounds were great.

Here is an example...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlsjEaqjjwo
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:54 PM   #2
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I did
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:37 PM   #3
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Treasure it...

Mac users don't get this option. Also, as a Tigers fan, I'd kill for an Ernie Harwell voice for my play-by-play. --Insert ramblings of middle aged guy remembering his childhood and the hot August nights with Ernie making it seem like you were there--
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.—Thomas Sowell
"Alinsky works for me now."
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:58 PM   #4
USF
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootshoot View Post
Anyone play Ernie Harwell Baseball for Windows back in the day? Play by play text to speech was amazing. Hopefully OOTP can improve upon the present text to speech option one day. Baseball for windows did not have career mode, it was just replaying seasons but the sounds were great.

Here is an example...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlsjEaqjjwo
I did for many years, great game! APBA/Baseball for Windows as it was known. I assume it is still being produced... I grew up playing Strat so after a few years on BBW i switched back to Strat since I understood and really enjoyed the dice/board game. Now I play both Strat and OOTP.

The play by play by Ernie was a great feature - I believe it was called the "Broadcast Blast".. I still have the box somewhere with the 3.5" disk.
Jason
USF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:25 AM   #5
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

Still got it and still play it..just because of the real audio play by play.
They've updated it now so that it works on windows 7 32 & 64 bit machines..and they are supposed to be at some point, coming out with newer audio so they say.
Bigrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:15 PM   #6
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrod View Post
Still got it and still play it..just because of the real audio play by play.
They've updated it now so that it works on windows 7 32 & 64 bit machines..and they are supposed to be at some point, coming out with newer audio so they say.
Not only played it, but beta tested it. I think OOTP should put more energy into this aspect of the game. Radio is how many fans enjoy the game. IMHO, it would set the game apart from the graphics based games.

BigRod, I was not aware of the update. When did that happen?

JP
Old 01-12-2015, 09:28 PM   #7
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER11JP View Post
Not only played it, but beta tested it. I think OOTP should put more energy into this aspect of the game. Radio is how many fans enjoy the game. IMHO, it would set the game apart from the graphics based games.

BigRod, I was not aware of the update. When did that happen?

JP
Pretty sure they did it early 2014 BBW 5.75 it's $20+$3 s&h
Last update (16) was 12/30/2014
6.0 is/was supposed to be when they update the audio pbp.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:24 PM   #8
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Can't imagine this for a game made essentially by one developer. He'd need a team to get this right and even then...yeah. I think if it were ever on a larger stage though, absolutely.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:42 PM   #9
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud4579 View Post
Can't imagine this for a game made essentially by one developer. He'd need a team to get this right and even then...yeah. I think if it were ever on a larger stage though, absolutely.
All we need is for Andreas to associate the pbp tokens to the "play" command. If he does that then we could build a modded pbp, audio clips and over time have audio play by play. The audio would all depend on modders though. Can't expect the devs to do it.
Trust me, I hound em every year about associating the tokens...

Last edited by Bigrod; 01-14-2015 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:03 PM   #10
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

If I recall correctly, the audio used something called .vox files. This is 15 year old technology, at least. I can't imagine that there has not been advancements that could make this a possibility.

JP
Old 01-17-2015, 08:06 AM   #11
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

played it all the time...loved ernie

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3
rjl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:23 PM   #12
DMN
Major Leagues

Me too, in fact I still play in 3 BBW leagues all have been going for over 20 years.

FBA - Durham Bulls
LOTG - Pittsburgh Pirates 1901 & 02 league Champs!
DMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:52 PM   #13
jerryb1961
Minors (Single A)

I still play it. The new version is 5.75. It's essentially the same as the old version from the 90s but with a handful of bugfixes, and of course modernized to run on 32/64 bit operating systems. There is no better simulation out there in terms of suspension of disbelief. Statistically it does what it attempts to do pretty well, but is nowhere near as in-depth as OOTP.

On the con side: It's *hideously* complex, with a fairly big learning curve. But, close your eyes and imagine you're listening to Ernie call the shots. Just superb.

If OOTP could equal the varied play calls and in game commentary via displayed text, it'd be a short step from there to implement voice output. I know, I know... the problem is budgetary....
jerryb1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:26 PM   #14
Beatles Eternally
Minors (Double A)

I just got the game running with an XP virtual machine and man the memories!! There was a way to copy the audio files to the games C:\BBW directory such that the broadcast didn't stutter because the audio was coming from the C drive rather than accessing the CD. I can't remember where I read it and I've even tried the Internet Archive.

Anyhow if you are like me and have the Ernie Harwell version, here is the XP Virtual Machine link. The VM works very nicely except for that stuttering issue. https://www.oldpcgaming.net/how-to-r...on-win-7-8-10/

I prefer the older versions of BBW because with the Bill James Encyclopedia, you could import any season from 1871 to 1997 to create your own seasons. I wish APBA hadn't removed that. But, I have the original copies of both games so, I guess it's no big deal.

Last edited by Beatles Eternally; 07-21-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Beatles Eternally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:28 AM   #15
tdjenks
Bat Boy

I agree.
OOTP 19 is best by far. The Animations are good with some timing to improve on. But to have a Ernie Harwell, or a Vin Scully voicing over the play as we watch would be great. I would turn off the text to hear and see it play out. It's just getting the license to do it. Both hall of fame announcers have there voice already recorded on files so most of the work is already done.
OOTP staff keep up the great work!
tdjenks is offline   Reply With Quote