Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 12-23-2014, 04:39 PM   #1
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Eliminate player morale hits if you make a mistake when demoting.

Every now and then I mess up and drop the wrong guy(or in my case today, a whole team!) to promote or demote. When I put them back on their original team, they are very angry for transactions. I think this is silly. It's not like a GM is going to promote a player and then say psyche! I really don't want all my players to be angry because i messed up with my mouse.

A way to fix this is to make the morale hit the next day rather than instant. This would allow for some reshuffling, lineup tests, or mistakes to happen in one day without actually making the player angry. As long as he's on the same team when you play a game or sim the game, he should not know that anything happened.

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
RchW
Hall Of Famer

I've never seen a morale hit like that really matter. Maybe I don't look hard enough.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

You can always set it back to normal in the editor.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #4
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
You can always set it back to normal in the editor.
True but I shouldn't have to. I also don't like enabling commish rights because I tend to do other things

And if I spend a half hour in an online league after downloading an update, I really don't want to re-download it if I mess up.

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

Old 12-23-2014, 05:04 PM   #5
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
True but I shouldn't have to. I also don't like enabling commish rights because I tend to do other things

And if I spend a half hour in an online league after downloading an update, I really don't want to re-download it if I mess up.
True - but you shouldn't accidently demote/promote players either. If you spend a half hour downloading an update (it really takes u 1/2 hr?) then you probably might want to be more careful in that regard.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:15 PM   #6
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
True - but you shouldn't accidently demote/promote players either. If you spend a half hour downloading an update (it really takes u 1/2 hr?) then you probably might want to be more careful in that regard.
lol accidents are not intentional. That's the point. It's such a silly mistake to make that it shouldn't be penalized. Making transaction morale hit the next day is really the best solution.

I meant a half hour tinkering with my roster. it was before opening day.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:22 PM   #7
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
lol accidents are not intentional. That's the point. It's such a silly mistake to make that it shouldn't be penalized. Making transaction morale hit the next day is really the best solution.

I meant a half hour tinkering with my roster. it was before opening day.
Well, I disagree. If you tell a player today he's going down, he doesn't wait until tomorrow to be upset about it.

Making mistakes with a mouse is not a reason to make a feature unrealistic.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:39 PM   #8
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, I disagree. If you tell a player today he's going down, he doesn't wait until tomorrow to be upset about it.

Because it's more realistic to tell your entire rookie league that they are being promoted to Single A?

And, you would be telling the player the day he gets demoted/promoted. As soon as you click sim day or enter a game, you are basically confirming the action and at that point the morale should hit.

If you think about in real life terms, a gm decides to move up a player, he's not going to call the player first. He will call the team and tell them. Say I'm the GM and I call the Single A coach and say, "Hey man, I'm going to promote my whole rookie team to your squad. Have fun…On second thought, never mind. Bad idea". The players would never know, therefor their morale would never be impacted.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:52 PM   #9
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Because it's more realistic to tell your entire rookie league that they are being promoted to Single A?

And, you would be telling the player the day he gets demoted/promoted. As soon as you click sim day or enter a game, you are basically confirming the action and at that point the morale should hit.

If you think about in real life terms, a gm decides to move up a player, he's not going to call the player first. He will call the team and tell them. Say I'm the GM and I call the Single A coach and say, "Hey man, I'm going to promote my whole rookie team to your squad. Have fun…On second thought, never mind. Bad idea". The players would never know, therefor their morale would never be impacted.
Huh? Who promotes their whole rookie league on the same day?

If you're going to promote/demote a player, you call him in and tell him. Nothing complicated about that. He has to know, otherwise he won't know to go catch a plane or bus. There's no magic that happens irl where the guy wakes up the next day and says "Oh, I'm not in Kansas anymore". He's told, he packs his kit, and he reports to his new team. When he's told, he may or may not be happy about it.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:01 PM   #10
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Real-life GM's don't use a mouse to make roster moves so the feature is already unrealistic.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #11
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Huh? Who promotes their whole rookie league on the same day?
I made my point very clear. I think we are arguing, just to argue. I really don't understand the push back on this.

Quote:
If you're going to promote/demote a player, you call him in and tell him. Nothing complicated about that. He has to know, otherwise he won't know to go catch a plane or bus. There's no magic that happens irl where the guy wakes up the next day and says "Oh, I'm not in Kansas anymore". He's told, he packs his kit, and he reports to his new team. When he's told, he may or may not be happy about it.

I guess it boils down to what we think it really means when we drag a guy from one team to another. In your opinion, it's an immediate phone call to the player saying he has moved up or down. I don't think it has to be so sudden. Just as I pointed out in my example phone call, a move can be made and corrected without the player even knowing.

Last edited by jpeters1734; 12-23-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:25 PM   #12
RchW
Hall Of Famer

The only question here is whether it matters vs morale. IMO it doesn't so it is a non issue.

To me issues like this are like discussing the graininess of a photograph. I understand people may not agree.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 12-23-2014, 10:13 PM   #13
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Perhaps a confirmation prompt is the solution?....which could be toggled
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:16 PM   #14
blasek0
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
I smell a troll!
blasek0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:29 PM   #15
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasek0 View Post
I smell a troll!

RichW

Old 12-23-2014, 10:48 PM   #16
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I smell a troll!
how so?
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:19 AM   #17
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
The only question here is whether it matters vs morale. IMO it doesn't so it is a non issue.

To me issues like this are like discussing the graininess of a photograph. I understand people may not agree.
If I didn't believe morale mattered then I would turn it off. If you don't think it matters then what is the point of your argument? It wouldn't affect you either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Perhaps, but that would get tedious real fast. It makes much more sense to make morale hits happen on the next action, rather than immediately.

Quote:
I smell a troll!
It wouldn't go so far as to say there's trolling, but I am really surprised by Rich and PSU's pushback on this. There really hasn't been any good reasons presented on why it should remain the same. The only responses are that it doesn't matter anyway and I shouldn't have made a mistake.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:19 AM   #18
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Real-life GM's don't use a mouse to make roster moves so the feature is already unrealistic.

Right, and nothing else in OOTP is realistic either if that's the case.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:35 AM   #19
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Right, and nothing else in OOTP is realistic either if that's the case.

My point is that giving a mulligan on demotion anger does nothing to ruin the realism of the game or destroy the immersion. How about if the game doesn't check for the implementation of anger until the demoted player has spent a game day at the new level, as suggested in the OP? I don't see how this harms the game at all.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:53 AM   #20
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

What's wrong with applying a little self discipline and teaching oneself not to make simple mistakes, instead of relying on technology to correct the mistakes after they're made?