Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Discussions Discuss Out of the Park Developments' games, web site, downloads, research and anything else related to OOTP Developments.

Old 01-30-2021, 03:39 PM   #1
webrian
Minors (Triple A)

Apple M1 chip?

Hi. I am an avid OOTP gamer since April of 2012.

I am considering the purchase of a new M1-based Apple laptop.

Before I make the leap, one question: Does OOTP baseball work with M1-powered computers?

I am asking because, from what I understand, the M1 chip has more in common with Apple's mobile gadgets than its regular computer line. And I know OOTP is not (yet) compatible for iPad or iPhone.

So ... can anyone inform me? Thanks in advance!
webrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:11 AM   #2
Reed
All Star Starter

I would like to see an answer to this since I am considering a MacBook air. It sounds like all the new mac books are going to the new m1 chip.
Reed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:25 AM   #3
Alex Murray
All Star Reserve

Hey gents,

At the moment we have not seen or heard about any issues with the M1 chips from Apple. That being said we have not gotten around to verifying there are 0 issues with the new devices. So we can't say for certain they work guaranteed however since we have had a few users who use the M1 chips tell is it works just fine we are going with the approach that it should work just fine.

Now that being said Microsoft released their new Surface Pro Xs and they use an unsupported GPU and that is having issues. So it can go both ways depending on the support the manufacturer puts in place.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:14 AM   #4
Reed
All Star Starter

Thanks for the feedback.
I have a 5 year old windows laptop that I would like to give to 1of my grandkids going to college next fall and I am looking at the new MacBook air for myself since it seems like a decent price/features (for an Apple product) but I might try to hold out for the new 14 inch MacBook pro later this year.
Anyway, thanks again for the feedback.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:46 AM   #5
willboat75
Minors (Double A)

M1 chip

I just upgraded to the new MacBook Pro with the M1 chip. It has been so much faster than my old MacBook Air. Part of the reason I upgraded my computer was to start a big fictional world for OOTP22. I’d consider the simulating speed with the M1 chip to be blazing fast with a normal MLB league.
willboat75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:15 PM   #6
Reed
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willboat75 View Post
I just upgraded to the new MacBook Pro with the M1 chip. It has been so much faster than my old MacBook Air. Part of the reason I upgraded my computer was to start a big fictional world for OOTP22. I’d consider the simulating speed with the M1 chip to be blazing fast with a normal MLB league.
Thanks for the feedback. Does your MacBook air have 8 or 16 GB ram?
I will probably get this but might wait for the 14 in pro if not to expensive.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:31 AM   #7
willboat75
Minors (Double A)

I got the cheapest Pro, so it's only 8 GB of RAM. OOTP is the only game I play heavily on the computer as all of my friends play Xbox, so that's enough for me. I've heard that 8 GB is the recommendation for the newer OOTP development games
willboat75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:20 PM   #8
ajpolo
Minors (Single A)

I just downloaded Chrome to my Intel chip MacBook Air and they have a version for each chip. Not trying to read too deeply, but likely for a performance issue with the software on the M1.
ajpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:57 AM   #9
rasnell
Hall Of Famer

My new M1 Macbook Air with 8 gb is handling Ootp 21 just fine.
Charlie Root won more games for the Cubs than any pitcher (201), yet was remembered for one pitch to Babe Ruth. Find out more about the 1929 World Series in my book, "Root for the Cubs: Charlie Root and the 1929 Chicago Cubs." See the web site at www.rootforthecubs.com. The book is at http://www.amazon.com/Root-Cubs-Char...t+for+the+cubs.

Beta tester, OOTP 2007-2023 and iOOTP 2011-2014.
rasnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:55 AM   #10
Hank1974
Minors (Double A)

I I have a Macbook Air using Big Sur 11.7.10.
It has a 1.4 GHz dual-core, Intel Core i5 processor and 4GB of RAM (DDR3).
When running OOTP '23 it is barely usable. Memory usage by OOTP routinely eclipses 4GB.
This was an issue with '21 and '22 as well.
What can be done?

BTW, I tried opening a support ticket but the links appear to be broken:
http://support.ootpdevelopments.com/...rticle/View/53

Quote:
Sorry, the page you have requested was not found
Please check the URL for proper spelling and capitalization.
If you're having trouble locating a destination on Zoho Desk, try visiting the Zoho Desk home page.
Hank1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 06:07 PM   #11
Pelican
Hall Of Famer

So, not to be "that guy", but OOTP runs fine on my new MacBook Air with the M2 chip and 16 GB of RAM. I think you've hit on the answer, that an older Intel processor and only 4GB of RAM are not sufficient to run the recent versions of OOTP.

I should note that I have been able to run 21, 22, 23, and 24 on my work Dell laptop with an i5 processor and 16GM of RAM.

It's probably worth submitting a support ticket; but I don't expect that the developers are going to have a work-around.

The good news is, you're in the market for a new computer. And Apple has a generous trade-in program, to take a bit of the sting off the purchase.
Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 08:29 AM   #12
Hank1974
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
So, not to be "that guy", but OOTP runs fine on my new MacBook Air with the M2 chip and 16 GB of RAM. I think you've hit on the answer, that an older Intel processor and only 4GB of RAM are not sufficient to run the recent versions of OOTP.

I should note that I have been able to run 21, 22, 23, and 24 on my work Dell laptop with an i5 processor and 16GM of RAM.

It's probably worth submitting a support ticket; but I don't expect that the developers are going to have a work-around.

The good news is, you're in the market for a new computer. And Apple has a generous trade-in program, to take a bit of the sting off the purchase.
I figured as much. And thanks for the reply.
After a reboot OOTP is now 'only' using 3GB of RAM, lol
I just don't understand why it has to use that much memory when I'm not even doing anything in game.
I may also look at running the game via Steam.

Again, thanks for the reply.
Old 01-29-2024, 11:21 PM   #13
Pelican
Hall Of Famer

No worries. You would think there would be a way to shut down some of the stuff running in the background to cut down on processor and active memory usage. I am thinking of facegen, saved highlights for each game, the win probability graph. I have shut down such things on my older laptop, just to have things run smoothly. But I'm no expert in which functions are the memory hogs.

And I realize that not everyone is in a position to run out and buy a new computer just to play OOTP games. I was fortunate to need a laptop for travel, anticipating when my days of part-time work will be done, and my aged work PC returned to my employer. I typically go with last year's model, with a decent Apple price, rather than the pricey cutting edge machines. And yes, the game plays beautifully on the new machine.
Old 02-03-2024, 12:19 PM   #14
Hank1974
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
No worries. You would think there would be a way to shut down some of the stuff running in the background to cut down on processor and active memory usage. I am thinking of facegen, saved highlights for each game, the win probability graph. I have shut down such things on my older laptop, just to have things run smoothly. But I'm no expert in which functions are the memory hogs.

And I realize that not everyone is in a position to run out and buy a new computer just to play OOTP games. I was fortunate to need a laptop for travel, anticipating when my days of part-time work will be done, and my aged work PC returned to my employer. I typically go with last year's model, with a decent Apple price, rather than the pricey cutting edge machines. And yes, the game plays beautifully on the new machine.
I have an old work computer that isn't great but has 8GB of RAM. May have to switch to that.
BTW, do you know if it's possible to use the Steam version in an online league?
Old 02-06-2024, 10:14 PM   #15
Pelican
Hall Of Famer

Unfortunately, I don't use Steam, and don't play online. So I'm of no help on that.
Old 02-15-2024, 02:06 PM   #16
quillenl
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank1974 View Post
I have an old work computer that isn't great but has 8GB of RAM. May have to switch to that.
BTW, do you know if it's possible to use the Steam version in an online league?
Absolutely. I alternate between Steam and non-steam versions annually depending on my mood and have never had an issue with Online leagues.
Old 02-22-2024, 10:03 AM   #17
frankparker
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasnell View Post
My new M1 Macbook Air with 8 gb is handling Ootp 21 just fine.
Did you notice any changes in how it works in general?
After some time of playing, I noticed that it does not work that fast, and now I need to charge it more often. But now I don't play that often because I also noticed that it's overheating from time to time. I don't know why, because of playing, but I found one informative article on Setapp which explains possible reasons for it, and how to check the temperature or cool it down. I've not read everything in a detailed way, but I'm going to do it and will try to fix everything. I hope it will help.

Last edited by frankparker; 02-28-2024 at 02:59 AM.
frankparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 06:25 PM   #18
Canary85
Minors (Rookie Ball)

i have a m1 16gb macbook pro, run ootp on steam which works fine w online leagues fwiw

it definitely kills the battery more than anything else lol but runs *way* faster than my older ones
Canary85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 12:44 PM   #19
Battman
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Brand new to OOTP. I have an M1 chip IMac with 16GB and 1TB storage, and so far it is working just fine. Had 2 hiccups but I think one was my fault, accidentally hitting a wrong button, causing the game to shut down. The other was a freeze where all the click buttons on screen disappeared. But, it seems to be running just fine. Only had a month, but played quite a bit so far.
Battman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 12:36 AM   #20
oothomas
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battman View Post
Brand new to OOTP. I have an M1 chip IMac with 16GB and 1TB storage, and so far it is working just fine. Had 2 hiccups but I think one was my fault, accidentally hitting a wrong button, causing the game to shut down. The other was a freeze where all the click buttons on screen disappeared. But, it seems to be running just fine. Only had a month, but played quite a bit so far.
Thanks for sharing your experience, @Battman! It's really helpful to hear from someone running OOTP on an M1 Mac directly. The hiccups you mentioned sound minor, especially since one might have been user error (we've all been there!). This definitely makes me feel more confident about making the switch to an M1 Mac mini.
oothomas is offline   Reply With Quote