Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 08-07-2019, 03:11 PM   #21
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacePope View Post
I 99% agree. Just like any police, they should be open to tips. But just because one or two overly concerned neighborhood watch types complain doesn't mean the devs need to follow up. Most of us couldn't care less if our neighbors music is a little loud or if they're starting Bobby Bonds when they have Barry on reserves.
Tips are fine, but it is the devs themselves who must do the enforcement. Bullying players to conform to community standards is counterproductive, especially in situations like this where there is no community standard.

"I'll know it when I see it" is a terrible way to legislate any issue objectively and consistently.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:13 PM   #22
Thornbreaker
Minors (Double A)

A small change that could drop you down might be simply "experimenting" with different strategy settings.

My PL team (Teatotallers) has been in the PL for at least 12 weeks now, with maybe 3 playoff appearances and none beyond division series to show for it. My hitting is solid, but pitching typically gets mauled.
The team is set up as contact/gap/def, and I don't have the PP for higher tier pitching as it's predominately a F2P team.

I could easily drop down if I wanted to by just changing my park/strat settings to be entirely against a small ball team. Might take a week or two due to randomness, but it would likely happen.

So If you're selling and filling in with silver/gold cards as you drop leagues, you could eventually get below gold if you wanted, without picking up the ire of other managers.

Thornbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:26 PM   #23
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
Tips are fine, but it is the devs themselves who must do the enforcement. Bullying players to conform to community standards is counterproductive, especially in situations like this where there is no community standard.

"I'll know it when I see it" is a terrible way to legislate any issue objectively and consistently.

The world is way too black and white in your view. The real world and the gaming world are very often varying shades of gray.

It doesn't seem all that complicated to me. I know it when I see it is the only way they can run it.

Do YOU want to see 200 pages of rules? I don't. Bottom line, don't be a dick and wreck your league.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:52 PM   #24
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
The world is way too black and white in your view. The real world and the gaming world are very often varying shades of gray.

It doesn't seem all that complicated to me. I know it when I see it is the only way they can run it.

Do YOU want to see 200 pages of rules? I don't. Bottom line, don't be a dick and wreck your league.
This is why the airlines must say "Tampering with, disabling or destroying the lavatory smoke detectors is prohibited by law." rather than "just don't touch it". There will always be someone saying "well, I disabled it, but I didn't destroy it" if they don't include all three words.
<Pion> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:28 PM   #25
comedian2019
Minors (Triple A)

Teams

Here is what I did. Create a new team. I think you are allowed three. I have three in 19 and three in 20. I on disability so I can't afford to spend a penny on cards.

I have won 6 World Series in 19 and 1 in 20. Last season I have 5 of the 6 make the playoffs. 2 made it to the WS but both loss.

What I notice about my 19 teams, they are very much alike. Paxton, Corbin, Verlander, Dierker..

I also have had great luck with 70 rated players.Suzuki, Wilson. Just recently let Maury Wills from the season that he stole 104 bases. He is hitting .333 and stealing like a mad man. Not bad for a 62 rated player.

The things that get me baffled.. I saved up a bunch of PP for Bauer. He is 0-6 with a whip of over two. How can that possibly happen? If I sell him I cannot find a player with a higher rating for that cash.
comedian2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:04 AM   #26
Goliathus
Major Leagues

Bauer's rating dropped to Silver range now so you can't even sell him for much. As for why he sucks, it's because he is the type of pitcher that don't do well in the game -- high stuff, low anything else.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:02 PM   #27
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:

I'm glad it doesn't seem all that complicated to you. You know who did find it complicated? The OP, Ty Cobb.

Primary Team

Old 08-08-2019, 01:09 PM   #28
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm glad it doesn't seem all that complicated to you. You know who did find it complicated? The OP, Ty Cobb.

and that represents what portion of the overall players? .001? 5%? 95%?

Old 08-08-2019, 01:30 PM   #29
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
and that represents what portion of the overall players? .001? 5%? 95%?
Ty Cobb, through their interactions with others on the forums, has proven time and time again that they are an informed and intelligent player.

If you want to argue that this is wrong and that they are not sufficiently qualified to act as a proxy for an average player, then that is fine.

Primary Team

Old 08-08-2019, 02:04 PM   #30
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ty Cobb, through their interactions with others on the forums, has proven time and time again that they are an informed and intelligent player.

If you want to argue that this is wrong and that they are not sufficiently qualified to act as a proxy for an average player, then that is fine.
I'm arguing I find the rules common sense, I have no idea how many agree with me.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:33 PM   #31
slic1149
Major Leagues

FWIW, I am competitive and engaged while playing at Diamond level. It strikes me as improbable for a player to stay competitive at the Perfect level without at least a small financial investment. Fair enough. I will continue to improve my team, through packs and the auction house, while trying to remain a consistent winner at Diamond. Most important I am enjoying the experience.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:39 PM   #32
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

You know what I want?

Quote:

I want to be treated with common decency by someone who's a relative rookie here. I made a simple request for clarification of how far I could go without breaking the TOS. Matt provided that.

Learn something from others...that's always good advice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppBt1Igsg-U
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.—Thomas Sowell
"Alinsky works for me now."
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:02 PM   #33
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Cobb View Post
I want to be treated with common decency by someone who's a relative rookie here. I made a simple request for clarification of how far I could go without breaking the TOS. Matt provided that.

Learn something from others...that's always good advice.
Hey Ty, I have no issue with your post and that wan't a shot at you. I also had no issue with Matt's post. I think Dogberry99 has been banging the drum for every single thing you can and can't do to documented and that isn't realistic or necessary. Your asking for advice seems to make sense to me.

I've reported a couple of teams, not because I thought they fielded a sub optimal team, but because it was outrageously blatant and tilting the results of the rest of the league.

Old 08-08-2019, 04:23 PM   #34
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Perhaps I overreacted. Been a long couple of weeks, and I'm tired from it. Accept an apology. I try to tread more lightly with TOS violations because of how much fun I have with the game. I'd rather lose my a** to wallet warriors routinely than get banned.

You know what's funny though? Since I started selling the few hogs I had on the farm, my winning pct. is going up! Larry Bowa is hitting .300...in perfect! The bronze Bowa (is there another?). The losers I've slowly slipped in are outperforming the diamonds they replaced.
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.—Thomas Sowell
"Alinsky works for me now."
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:14 AM   #35
Goliathus
Major Leagues

Well, ride them and see if they can take you to the promised land! There's always next week to rebuild.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:20 AM   #36
justpatrick
Major Leagues

Quote:
Perhaps I overreacted. Been a long couple of weeks, and I'm tired from it. Accept an apology. I try to tread more lightly with TOS violations because of how much fun I have with the game. I'd rather lose my a** to wallet warriors routinely than get banned.

You know what's funny though? Since I started selling the few hogs I had on the farm, my winning pct. is going up! Larry Bowa is hitting .300...in perfect! The bronze Bowa (is there another?). The losers I've slowly slipped in are outperforming the diamonds they replaced.
That Bowa is an amazing card, he hits everywhere! And his 94 defense isn´t too shabby either. I really don´t get the aura some of this cards have, or whatever special sauce the devs put on them.

justpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:52 AM   #37
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
I've got a team in Perfect. They truly are uncompetitive there, and I just want to start over. What's the easiest way, staying within the TOS, to clean house and go back down?

Bottom line: I lack the resources to effectively compete with someone who can afford to purchase 40+ perfect cards. I'm not bitter or angry, I just don't want to waste my time trying when there's clearly no point.

Looking for an effective solution that stays in the rules.
I would put in your favorite players if you have any, no matter their ratings so you enjoy the season and it's not all 50-rated players or anything where teams can accuse you of tanking easily...they should probably be relegated if it is just your favorite players no matter their rating, & if they aren't then surely you might learn something & you can adjust your roster accordingly and simulate until you are in diamond or gold or wherever you belong at your comfortable level and then field either the most competitive team for that level or continue fielding your favorite players so that win or lose, it's always your picks. (So if not your favorite players, then something like a team you want to play out the time with.)

Of course, this would just kind of be an example for me, or other people who have favorite players. If not, then just field a team you like for when you do get relegated (or discover a method to compete in perfects), and continue from there.

Last edited by One Great Matrix; 08-10-2019 at 03:54 AM.
One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:03 AM   #38
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster007 View Post
In my opinion the tos say "deliberately trying to lose" that would mean deactivating cards to place lesser cards in your lineup to lose and be demoted only to flip your team back once relegated. That isn't what you are trying to do.
Deliberately trying to lose is the only violation so I would say you can field a team of your preferences, & as long as you honestly would like to see the team be successful then even if you quasi-expect them to be relegated on another level, then you are at least attempting to be competitive.

1. It is hard for some players to compete with all perfects teams, I've made the playoffs 6 times in perfects but am 4-21 to this point, so you really can't blame a team for changing their style if they aren't going to win championships either way. That's just some truth about the reality of the situation. It is caused as much by teams who are surely going to win at least 110 games as it is ....well, actually that is the cause of you not being able to compete either way at that point.

and 2. When you do not field a competitive enough team, it is only relative to your peers at that point, and you will not win the league and enjoy success on that level and you will probably gain significantly less "free" PP from achievements so who can blame you UNLESS you are deliberately hoping for your team to lose in every way. You even give teams that are struggling an opportunity for a decent match-up when they play your team. There is more than one way to look at it.

I am trying to think of other things to consider regarding this matter... The main thing that comes to mind is until there are teams that are not so well put together that they are guaranteed to win 100+ games, tanking on the perfect leagues level is not really a thing unless it is deliberately strategically going for losses.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:09 AM   #39
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Appreciate everyone's input. I had an all diamond rotation and was getting hammered. I'm going to turn it into a theme team over time. Thinking about saving my points I gather up and going for a Tigertown historic team.

Heck, in a couple of months that might be competitive at any level...
Yes it's almost like it's called Perfect & you need perfect cards to compete...My first season in Perfect I went 54-108!!!! with a 89, 95, 95, 96 & 93 in the rotation. Turned out it was a heck of a league all-in-all. David Cone, who went 20-3 (2.22 ERA) in real life with the card I was using that season in real life went 3-16!!!! So I suggest we get rid of the peak cards at least. I think a player's best season is enough. Personally. Plus that way the cards have a uniformity about them in that sense. Although I'm not against Futures...or even 19 Version peak where it was least reflective of how a player performed roughly for a period in his career. ...Or maybe PEAK cards for a much bigger pool of players than just the best players ever (but generally I like the formula for 19 peak better than 20 peak)

Last edited by One Great Matrix; 08-10-2019 at 04:23 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:10 AM   #40
Fenixdown
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster007 View Post
I think your safe, it would only be tanking if you were doing a Padres theme team

Gwynn, Winfield, Caminiti, Hoffman, Kevin Brown, Plantier has one of the better OHW cards there is, Machado, Tatis...

When 8 of your 25 are those guys, I wouldn't say it's that bad of a team. And the rest would be easy enough to figure out to make it competitive.

Of all the teams to pick a theme team from (depending of course on your theme), the one I'd say might be the worst off is, quite sadly, the Rangers. Because they rated pretty much ALL of their best hitters WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY low this time around. Gonzalez is garbage, Franco isn't even gold this time, and don't even get me started on Rusty Greer (who should not have ever been called a "One Hit Wonder"...when he had FIVE SEASONS THAT COMPARED TO EACH OTHER).
Fenixdown is offline   Reply With Quote