Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 11-01-2015, 11:59 AM   #1
Aerosol
Minors (Single A)

License deactivating itself

Hi, the last couple days when I load the game I am prompted to enter a license, i.e. the game loads as though it were still in demo, despite the fact that I purchased the game 3 weeks ago and it worked fine until recently. When this initially happened, I re-entered my license and it worked, but now it will not longer accept my license. Thank you in advance for your help.
Aerosol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:38 PM   #2
Bowtie
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerosol View Post
Hi, the last couple days when I load the game I am prompted to enter a license, i.e. the game loads as though it were still in demo, despite the fact that I purchased the game 3 weeks ago and it worked fine until recently. When this initially happened, I re-entered my license and it worked, but now it will not longer accept my license. Thank you in advance for your help.
Hi,

At this point I'm unsure what may be causing your issue but I do have a few questions. Has there been any power interruptions lately? Have you had to force OOTP to close/exit? Have you tried submitting a support ticket about your issue?

If you need to submit a support ticket, please go here:
Submit a ticket - Powered by Kayako Help Desk Software

Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 02:37 PM   #3
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

did you run any "cleaner" type program - espeically one for your registry?

something you haven't run in the past, maybe. if you've installed any new applications lately, review what it does to your system. games and such won't be an issue but AV, registry cleaners etc do some odd things on occasion.

i've had to re-register games after running a registry cleaner before.

any restore points used, etc..?

definitely get tech support involved... don't rely on average monkeys like me on the forums.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:21 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

bowtie called me a monkey by thanking me

he's mean...

edit: i didn't want to add another useless reply, so i'll add to this useless one.. the registry is where that stuff (license, validation etc) is normally kept for programs. it should be difficult to lose this information, normally. something has to actively search and remove it or it wasn't allowed to be written in the first place.

make the game run in administrator mode... maybe it isn't allowing the registry edit due to some windows securtiy.

Last edited by NoOne; 11-01-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:31 PM   #5
Bowtie
All Star Starter

First off, please don't rely upon what I post to resolve your issue. Please submit a support ticket.

I just checked my registry (I have Windows XP) and yes, there is a folder named "esellerate" and it contains all of my OOTP license keys. So it is possible that a registry cleaner may be the culprit but again, please seek the help of tech support about this issue.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:15 AM   #6
Aerosol
Minors (Single A)

Thanks for the replies guys. I am running the Linux version of the game on Linux Mint 17.2 As I said, everything was working fine until a couple days ago. This is probably a longshot, but does anyone have any experience with running the Linux version and if so, where the registry might be?

EDIT to add: I have indeed submitted a ticket

Last edited by Aerosol; 11-02-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:59 PM   #7
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys. I am running the Linux version of the game on Linux Mint 17.2 As I said, everything was working fine until a couple days ago. This is probably a longshot, but does anyone have any experience with running the Linux version and if so, where the registry might be?

EDIT to add: I have indeed submitted a ticket
that may be only a windows terminology... i've never used unix/linux

google "linux registry equivalent"

looks like alot of arguments about semantics and other offtopic stuff in the first result, lol.... good luck.

my guess is that it creates a validation file of some sort or it could be in the txt config files for the game, if they are used. the first google result from "superuser" mentions them.

think real hard about anything you have altered on your system since this started ocurring or shortly before. just in case.. the oddest stuff can surprise you. maybe that's just a MS windows problem.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:16 PM   #8
Aerosol
Minors (Single A)

Well, no luck yet from the tech support ticket. I am at a loss as to what could have caused the issue, nothing changed on my system so it is not that. I am still unable to locate where the license resides in a Linux install.. it looks like the OOTP Knowledge Base had several articles on Linux licensing and troubleshooting but now they all lead to broken links. I'll make one last bump to see if anyone can help me out.

Seems like this has been a known issue for several years: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...nse-issue.html

Last edited by Aerosol; 11-03-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:23 PM   #9
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, no luck yet from the tech support ticket. I am at a loss as to what could have caused the issue, nothing changed on my system so it is not that. I am still unable to locate where the license resides in a Linux install.. it looks like the OOTP Knowledge Base had several articles on Linux licensing and troubleshooting but now they all lead to broken links. I'll make one last bump to see if anyone can help me out.

Seems like this has been a known issue for several years: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...nse-issue.html
it's been an issue since the first Linux version of OOTP came out. Almost any change to the system - even a software update - could cause the license to deactivate.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:41 PM   #10
Aerosol
Minors (Single A)

So effectively the game is unplayable on Linux, i.e. if re-entering the license only works 2 times.. then in a short amount of time you are out of valid licenses and simply paid 40 bucks for a demo. This seems like an unacceptable state of affairs...
Old 11-03-2015, 02:45 PM   #11
Assos
All Star Starter

Quote:
So effectively the game is unplayable on Linux, i.e. if re-entering the license only works 2 times.. then in a short amount of time you are out of valid licenses and simply paid 40 bucks for a demo. This seems like an unacceptable state of affairs...
The customer support can clear your license so you never run out. But you would have to do that each time. Can you run VR Windows in your LINUX system?
Assos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:06 PM   #12
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

What I got in the habit of doing back when I ran Linux was to just unlicense the game before I made any system changes, and then relicense when I was done.

Hardly optimal, but there you go.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:34 AM   #13
Aerosol
Minors (Single A)

Who would I talk to about having my license cleared so it doesn't run out? PISD? I have not heard back yet from tech support.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:29 AM   #14
Bowtie
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
bowtie called me a monkey by thanking me

he's mean... .

Don't get me started as to how mean I am

Old 11-04-2015, 11:59 AM   #15
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Who would I talk to about having my license cleared so it doesn't run out? PISD? I have not heard back yet from tech support.
from whom did you buy the game? that would be the entity to contact about your license problem.

the one link said the config text files are in the "etc" directory. next time you get it licensed and working find the file and make a backup or soemthing - if that is how linux works.

hey, good to know windows isn't the only wonky OS out there... kidding, but at least you know the cause of the problem. you can work something out now, hopefully.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:29 PM   #16
Aerosol
Minors (Single A)

Unfortunately I haven't quite isolated the cause of the problem - I just used up my second license to test if the program would load correctly with no changes being done to my system and OOTP loads as a demo the next time I start the program after licensing - i.e. with no changes whatsoever having been made to my system in the intervening 2 minutes.

I still have not yet heard back from tech support - i bought the game from the OOTP webstore. It seems to me that if this is a known issue on Linux and no fix is possible then this version of the game should not be sold, or at the very least the licenses should have infinite uses upon purchase. Been playing OOTP on and off since version 2, very disappointed by this.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:48 PM   #17
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

Send a PM to Andreas Raht he can reset your license. Just click the link below to open a PM to him. Explain your problem in detail or refer him to this post. Include your support ticket number.
Should you not hear from him, let me know via PM and I'll have him reset it for you.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...p?do=newpm&u=1

Good luck
Bigrod is offline   Reply With Quote