Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 10-30-2014, 05:35 PM   #21
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpriske View Post
Clutch | FanGraphs Sabermetrics Library

I would specifically point out this paragraph:

Clutch does a good job of describing the past, but it does very little towards predicting the future. Simply because one player was clutch at one point does not mean they will continue to perform well in high-leverage situations (and vice versa). Very few players have the ability to be consistently clutch over the course of their careers, and choking in one season does not beget the same in the future.

If it isn't predictive, it can't have a rating. (And based on the way the poster clarified, isn't that already in the game? The little hot and cold symbols?)

The thing that always amazes me about the talk about 'clutch' players is that nobody seems to realize that it is actually quite an insult to the player. It says that they can play BETTER when it is an important situation, which is also saying they don't play as hard when the timing isn't key. It is equivalent to saying players 'play to the score', which is quite a damning indictment, imo.
Because a 3 paragraph article said so? That article also points to other articles saying that clutch does exist. Fangraphs is talking about clutch like a stat. Not everything can be broken into a mathematical formula.

Clutch exists. I will say that over the course of a season clutch will not have a huge impact. It is there, but nothing that should overvalued. I see clutch being a personality trait rather than a rating. It should be optional along with the other personality traits.

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:40 PM   #22
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Right but storylines should be off by default.
Why should it be off by default? Because one group doesn't like it? What about the other group that does like it? Why should anything be off or on by default?

I don't understand the need to try and justify what default setting should be. It doesn't matter. Shape the game you want when you set up your game.

I would imagine that the majority of players play with storylines. That is why it would be default.

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #23
LunchBox
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjburrage View Post
Rather than it be like Madden, I'd rather there be an option like the Expand League one in the League settings, where it would process the renaming/relocating and 'building' the new stadium automatically - then post the relevant news entry in the League Evolution/History page.

On a similar note would like in the automatic evolution options to have a tick box to automatically 'evolve' stadiums (specifically in fictional leagues) so that teams will expand/rebuild/build new stadiums automatically based on the average attendance from the financial settings.
That's pretty much what I meant, I don't care about the visuals, I just don't want to get to say 2050 and see the red sox still playing in fenway or the cubs still playing in wrigley, at least without some modifcations anyway
LunchBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:22 AM   #24
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
Why should it be off by default? Because one group doesn't like it? What about the other group that does like it? Why should anything be off or on by default?

I don't understand the need to try and justify what default setting should be. It doesn't matter. Shape the game you want when you set up your game.

I would imagine that the majority of players play with storylines. That is why it would be default.
By definition certain features must be on in order to work so it's obvious why there are default settings.

In the case of storylines, updating the game sometimes turns them on and moving from one version to another always turns them on. I don't see why I should have to keep turning it off time after time. If I could turn it off just once I wouldn't complain.

I don't appreciate the attitude. I have as much right to ask for what I want as you do. I don't belong to any group or majority like you seem to be invoking. Last time I checked these aren't your boards.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:16 AM   #25
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunchBox View Post
And today proves, yet again, as morbid as it is, players can and do die during their careers, RIP Oscar Taveras, so it needs to be part of the storylines

It's not morbid. It is simply part of life. When someone we know passes we honor their life. We take time to reflect upon our life with them and we cherish the memories. Also, we reflect upon our own mortality and we learn to not take our loved ones for granted.

Death teaches us humility, respect, and honor. It is not something to hide from in fear. We must have courage and hold our heads with dignity.

Art is a reflection of life and death is a stage of life. A video game is a form of art and entertainment. I see no reason why death's inclusion should be withheld. Maybe by adding it to the game OOTP would actually be providing a service to the community.

Last edited by Honorable_Pawn; 10-31-2014 at 07:17 AM.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:30 AM   #26
ra7c7er
All Star Starter

I'm all for death being included but can it be a little rarer than owner deaths. If the mortality rate for a baseball team owner was as high as it is OOTP I think the world might have a hard time finding enough owners.
ra7c7er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:36 AM   #27
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

I think the average death age should be around 77 sometimes higher sometimes lower (or whatever the real world rate is). If you play a league long enough you will have a death every day. I think a mention of it should only occur if the player was Hall of Fame.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:36 AM   #28
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

or if short listed.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:52 PM   #29
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
I think the average death age should be around 77 sometimes higher sometimes lower (or whatever the real world rate is). If you play a league long enough you will have a death every day. I think a mention of it should only occur if the player was Hall of Fame.
or played a significant amount of games with your club.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:30 AM   #30
professor ape
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
It is actually the opposite, it's just a player's personality where a big situation is treated like any other...consistency as it were. Most players over think like most people in pressure situations.

As for proof? It's numbers on a page not proof. A guy who hits the ball square but it gets caught is much different than a guy that chases a bad curve in the dirt. Since baseball was invented, guys have been known as clutch or pinch

Anyway, just a difference in opinion

I do like the Clutch rating to determine PH and setup/closer roles, not to enhance ratings. Is that a compromise from Saber minded people here?

If Dode Criss has a 95 out of 100 clutch rating, he'll be the #1 PH for the Browns and many old time closer types who didn't have high K totals would actually be used as such...
While I think it is completely unnecessary, I'm fine with a clutch rating that is a summary of past performance without impacting future results. However, you would need a way to rate how much or how little stock a manager puts into the clutch rating. If your .225/.325/.300 bench player happens to have a 95 clutch rating by dumb luck then some managers would put more stock into that than others.
professor ape is offline   Reply With Quote