Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support

Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support Do you have a copy of OOTP Baseball 2006? Are you in need of help and assistance in running the game or do you have errors that you need help in resolving? This is your place!

Old 06-20-2005, 04:34 PM   #1
A.J. Holz
All Star Reserve

6.12 -> 6.5 conversion problem on BABIP

I found two problems with converting a 6.12 league to 6.5 that has to do with pitchers' BABIP statistics. I looked to see if the problems had been reported previously but couldn't find anything definitive, so here it is.

1.) BABIP for all pitchers for the seasons previous to the current one are all .000.
2.) Because of this, career BABIP stats for these pitchers are skewed. For instance, I have one pitcher who's been active in the league for two seasons - 2010 and 2011. His 2010 BABIP is listed as .000. His 2011 BABIP is listed as .292. His career BABIP is listed as .577.
JOBL - Grand Forks Varmints (former owner)
FIBB - Chicago Fire
TMBU - Tulsa Tomcats (former owner)
ACL - Oakland A's (former owner)
ACB - Rockville Superbas
A.J. Holz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:05 PM   #2
A.J. Holz
All Star Reserve

For reference, still present in 6.5a.
FIBB - Chicago Fire
ACB - Rockville Superbas
Old 06-22-2005, 03:49 PM   #3
jbmagic
Hall Of Famer

It only starts being tracked after the patch is applied. I don't think it can get previous seasons

according to patch 6.5a readme
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 04:53 PM   #4
A.J. Holz
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
It only starts being tracked after the patch is applied. I don't think it can get previous seasons

according to patch 6.5a readme
The readme says:

- BABIP for pitchers will now be tracked for retired players as well (only for seasons played with OOTP 6.5a)

This doesn't have anything to do with retired players, I'm talking about active players.

Why wouldn't we be able to track for previous 6.0 seasons, I'm wondering? I mean, 6.5 is an expansion to 6.0, so you'd think that the seasons simmed in 6.0 would at least have data available to do the calculations.

Also, regardless of whether the 6.0 seasons have BABIP calculated or not, the career BABIP calculation is incorrect because of this bug.
FIBB - Chicago Fire
ACB - Rockville Superbas

Last edited by A.J. Holz; 06-22-2005 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:15 PM   #5
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

Because individual BABIP wasn't tracked until 6.5. Any player created by 6.5 will have correct stats, players created beforehand will not.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:33 PM   #6
spleen1015
Hall Of Famer

A.J. is asking for some sort of fix to the problem. Should it only count the season that have ben run in 6.5?

If you can't get the info for the season prior to 6.5, the career stat is going to be screwed up for all imported leagues, regardless.

So, I don't see a solution to the problem.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 05:38 PM   #7
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015
A.J. is asking for some sort of fix to the problem. Should it only count the season that have ben run in 6.5?

If you can't get the info for the season prior to 6.5, the career stat is going to be screwed up for all imported leagues, regardless.

So, I don't see a solution to the problem.
I know, but it's not a bug. How can the game calculate something that wasn't tracked before?
Old 06-22-2005, 05:46 PM   #8
mad0die
All Star Reserve

BABIP is a formula generated stat. It should use a player's career stats to calculate a career BABIP. It does not have anything to do with individiual season stats at all unless there are new individual season stats being stored in 6.5 that were not in 6.12 that are required for OOTP's BABIP calculation.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:50 PM   #9
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad0die
BABIP is a formula generated stat. It should use a player's career stats to calculate a career BABIP. It does not have anything to do with individiual season stats at all unless there are new individual season stats being stored in 6.5 that were not in 6.12 that are required for OOTP's BABIP calculation.
I think it would take a redo of the code in order for it to track previous seasons. And I don't think it's possible. But, as always, wait for someone more intelligent to answer.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:47 PM   #10
A.J. Holz
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D
I know, but it's not a bug. How can the game calculate something that wasn't tracked before?
H-HR/AB-HR-K = BABIP

The game tracked hits, homers, at-bats, and strikeouts in version 6.0, so it should be able to go back and tell me the BABIP on pitchers' stat lines generated in 6.0.

Now, I realize that it may not be that simple. I'm guessing that in order to implement it, the game, upon opening a 6.0 league file, would have to convert it and fill in each BABIP line for pitchers' previous seasons in the database. But that's something that would not only be nice to have, it would also make sure the career BABIP numbers didn't get whacked out of line, either.

I'm not trying to nitpick here, I swear. But I, like most stat-heads on these boards, am pretty anal-retentive about baseball stats. Opening a 6.0 league file in an *expansion* pack to 6.0 and finding that for one of the new stats, historical data is corrupted, is kind of a pisser.
FIBB - Chicago Fire
ACB - Rockville Superbas