Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:53 AM   #1
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Infield in strategy problem

This issue has carried over from the previous version. Unless something has changed in the past few seasons, it has always been pretty standard to only play the infield in if up by one run, tied or behind. Maybe with a pitcher batting you can make the argument but otherwise MLB managers are happy to trade an out for a run in this situation.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:47 PM   #2
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Bumping this in the hopes that it finally gets addressed this year.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:51 PM   #3
Crickett13
Minors (Single A)

great part is that it always works. You could have 0 outs and bases loaded and the next 2 hitters up if they hit a ground ball they will always ground out. I have yet to see one go through for a hit.

Last edited by Crickett13; 03-27-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Crickett13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:36 PM   #4
Reed
All Star Starter

Agree it needs adjusting. Have not seen it this year yet. I have seen a base hit a couple times. (Maybe not on ground balls though).
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:40 PM   #5
DCG12
All Star Starter

Location: Traveling through another dimension-not one of only sight and sound,but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundries are those of imagination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett13 View Post
great part is that it always works. You could have 0 outs and bases loaded and the next 2 hitters up if they hit a ground ball they will always ground out. I have yet to see one go through for a hit.
Early in the beta process I would have agreed with you. It was so bad I was tracking how often it happened so i could give Markus hard data but with the last 3 patches it seems to have changed. I have had several balls either go for hits or sac flies in the past week or so.
DCG12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:25 PM   #6
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett13 View Post

Going back all the way back to 17 I have seen grounders get through in these spots. Wish I had your luck though, because this usually happens against me lol.

But yeah the AI defensive strategy is still a little wonky and I do wonder how often moves like this cost me games when I’m simming them out instead of playing them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:44 PM   #7
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

This is still a problem. Just watched the AI play infield in during the bottom of the 6th with the score 9-7 and a guy on third with no outs. Not sure about anyone else but other than maybe for a pitcher hitting, I never see MLB managers use this strategy in this spot. Not sure why the AI has so much trouble recognizing that infield in is almost never used by a team that is up by more than one run.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:30 PM   #8
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Still seeing problems with the AI utilizing this strategy.
Attached Images
Old 05-07-2019, 08:12 AM   #9
dbl4868
Minors (Single A)

Anyone know why there’s not an option to play the infield halfway in?
dbl4868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:59 AM   #10
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Still happening...
Attached Images
Old 10-24-2019, 10:44 PM   #11
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

This is still a problem. Why is this so hard for the AI to use correctly?
Attached Images
Old 10-26-2019, 09:24 AM   #12
Anyone
Major Leagues

I will say that up 2 runs or more it's usually best to take a relatively sure out rather than play the infield in and greatly increase the chance of a hit (which is how it is especially in this year's ootp) that could lead to falling behind that inning.

But some managers in real life will do it up 2-3 runs, so it should sometimes happen that a manager whose infield in tendency is above average to decide to pull it in up 2 or 3 runs (a manager who'd pull his infield in up 4 or more runs doesn't deserve the job, but 2 or 3 is reasonable enough).
Anyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:19 PM   #13
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyone View Post
I will say that up 2 runs or more it's usually best to take a relatively sure out rather than play the infield in and greatly increase the chance of a hit (which is how it is especially in this year's ootp) that could lead to falling behind that inning.

But some managers in real life will do it up 2-3 runs, so it should sometimes happen that a manager whose infield in tendency is above average to decide to pull it in up 2 or 3 runs (a manager who'd pull his infield in up 4 or more runs doesn't deserve the job, but 2 or 3 is reasonable enough).
I've never seen the infield in used when up by more than one run for anyone other than a pitcher batting. I've been watching baseball for over 40 years. I'm sure it has happened. It is extremely rare. What I've been posting in this thread happens all the time in OOTP.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:48 AM   #14
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Still a problem.
Attached Images
Old 11-12-2019, 07:19 AM   #15
zappa1
All Star Starter

After new update, my problem with it is that I get the groundball I'm looking for but the SS or 2B holds the ball and doesn't throw it. Alright, I know this happens...…..sometimes. But I've seen it 4 or 5 times in as many games played. Not seen one play where they even throw the ball home OR to first. They stand there and hold it. Infield hit, run scores. And stealing bases is a joke, now. I can't even get my runners to go. But the team I'm playing against can run at will.
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:57 AM   #16
Reed
All Star Starter

For me, it seems like 70% of the time when the infield plays in, the ball goes through for a hit.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:32 PM   #17
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

I would say that I have seemed to see a lot of infield hits when bases are loaded and infield is played in. Not sure though if it is significantly off in terms of how often it happens in MLB though.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:24 AM   #18
fintach
Major Leagues

For me it doesn't have to go through to be a hit. I can bring my infield in, and when they hit a hard ground ball right at the shortstop, he fields it cleanly -- for an infield single. No play at the plate. No play at third. Doesn't matter how fast or slow the runners are.

Seriously frustrating.

History:
Portland Purple Knights of the USBL: 1x NL Champs
1970-74 Berkeley Free Radicals of the BBL: 4x Division Title, 3x LCS, 2x Left Coast Cup Champions
2011 Portland River Dragons of the SPL: 1x Division Title
2011 Las Vegas Coyotes (MLB): half season before DH bored me to death.
fintach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:10 AM   #19
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fintach View Post
For me it doesn't have to go through to be a hit. I can bring my infield in, and when they hit a hard ground ball right at the shortstop, he fields it cleanly -- for an infield single. No play at the plate. No play at third. Doesn't matter how fast or slow the runners are.

Seriously frustrating.
If you are judging whether it was fielded cleanly or not from the animation then you are working with faulty data. "Canon" is the PbP text. The animations can be characterized as an "artistic representation of what happened on the field, not to be taken literally". Given that caveat, even in the PbP you will often see text such as "soandso fields a hard groundball but hangs on to it as he had no play" with the bases loaded and the infield in. And it seems to happen at a much higher rate than what one would see in MLB.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:16 AM   #20
fintach
Major Leagues

Nope. I've learned not to attach any importance to the animation. I judge strictly by the PbP.

History:
Portland Purple Knights of the USBL: 1x NL Champs
1970-74 Berkeley Free Radicals of the BBL: 4x Division Title, 3x LCS, 2x Left Coast Cup Champions
2011 Portland River Dragons of the SPL: 1x Division Title
2011 Las Vegas Coyotes (MLB): half season before DH bored me to death.
fintach is offline   Reply With Quote