Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 10-15-2014, 10:07 PM   #1
aslanking
Minors (Double A)

Developing starting pitchers

Every year in the draft, I always target starting pitchers. Invariably, two of three years down the line, the five star potential first round starting pitcher I've drafted has been converted to a middle receiver of closer. I've never developed a starting pitcher from the draft. Am I doing something wrong. If I try to force the role as starting pitcher, it always converts the pitcher to a half star or one star.

Any ideas? What do I do to develop my draftees. I have ample mr and closer candidates so it is painful to have to go outside the system to obtain pitching.
aslanking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:36 PM   #2
mpejkrm
All Star Reserve

I'm not sure what your problem is. I use a standard 2014 MLB setup and I too often draft pitchers in the first round. I am VERY cautious with promotions on pitchers, especially HS guys, and usually don't let them hit full-season ball until they are 20. I also limit their pitches significantly.

I'm not sure what you mean by "they just convert to MRs" but I guess you might be getting hit by TCR? I've developed loads of pitchers I drafted in the first round by being cautious and bringing them along slowly.
mpejkrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:42 PM   #3
aslanking
Minors (Double A)

I let the computer manage the minors. Too much work to oversee minors. And the computer always coverts these guys to relief pitchers. Is there any way to prevent that?
Old 10-15-2014, 10:45 PM   #4
Number4
Major Leagues

Has he three usable pitches (or a knuckleball) and decent stamina? If not, the game will consider him a reliever, even if he was drafted as a starter (or reliever, or first baseman for that matter).
Number4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:07 PM   #5
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Every year in the draft, I always target starting pitchers.
Not enough info.
1) Scouting on?
2) Accuracy?
3) Age of pitchers?
4) How many pitches and what quality?
5) Are they losing potential, either OVR/Stars or Ratings POT?
6) I think there is a force start option for pitchers.
7) What was their recomended role when you drafted them? Just because they are labeled a SP does not mean they should be one at the ML level.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:44 AM   #6
Ile
Minors (Double A)

I think it's just SPs having a third, but horrible pitch, so when they climb through the system, at some point, the manager/s realise the kid is never gonna make it as a starter due to the horrible third pitch and uses him as a reliever instead.

At least that seems to be the case for me. A lot of the SPs in my drafts have 3 pitches, but only 2 of them usable. If I really want a starter, I go for lower stars, but one that has enough stamina and at least 3 decent pitches.

Last edited by Ile; 10-16-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Ile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:54 AM   #7
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

FWIW, OOTP intentionally generates a lot of starting pitchers for the draft pool, with the thought that a certain percentage of them will fail as starters in the minors and become relievers. It's intended to mirror real life in that respect.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #8
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslanking View Post
I let the computer manage the minors. Too much work to oversee minors. And the computer always coverts these guys to relief pitchers. Is there any way to prevent that?
Then it's telling you something. My minor league AI sometimes uses future MR as starters and I have to force start other pitchers. Occasionally it starts someone and it works. Look at who the AI has starting; perhaps it knows something.

Another point, keep your minor leagues churning. If you hang on to "never will be" types too long they will block better prospects.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 10-16-2014 at 12:04 PM.
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:54 PM   #9
aslanking
Minors (Double A)

Rich - this is a great answer. I never thought about this. I tend to play as a very loyal manager - i'll keep guys as long as possible in my system just to give them a chance. Is it true that the system takes into account "blocking" of talent? Or is that speculation?

So if my AAA team has five starters and 3 of them blow....my minor leagues won't promote a promising AA or A pitcher? Could that be why my pitchers are always converted to MRs....to make room for them at the next level?

In fact - i don't think i've EVER developed a STUD player....maybe there is something to the churning....
Old 10-17-2014, 01:38 AM   #10
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslanking View Post
Rich - this is a great answer. I never thought about this. I tend to play as a very loyal manager - i'll keep guys as long as possible in my system just to give them a chance. Is it true that the system takes into account "blocking" of talent? Or is that speculation?

So if my AAA team has five starters and 3 of them blow....my minor leagues won't promote a promising AA or A pitcher? Could that be why my pitchers are always converted to MRs....to make room for them at the next level?

In fact - i don't think i've EVER developed a STUD player....maybe there is something to the churning....
OOTP will turn a prospect into a dud if the player gets no challenges. Dying on the vine is a real problem that you must actively work against. I'm guilty of too much loyalty as well.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 10-17-2014, 01:47 AM   #11
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Also just because they don't pan out as SP does not mean they are worthless. Take for example two SP I drafted, did not work out. But one became a closer I kept in my ML for 10 seasons and he got me 420+ saves, another guys I kep as a set man he had a good era and had over 200 holds in his career with me

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:24 AM   #12
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
OOTP will turn a prospect into a dud if the player gets no challenges. Dying on the vine is a real problem that you must actively work against. I'm guilty of too much loyalty as well.
How do you know when it's time to challenge him? There seems to be a huge blurry line between challenging a player and throwing him into the fire.

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:26 AM   #13
Ile
Minors (Double A)

I had the same problem of being too loyal to my youngsters, so I've now allowed my minor league managers to release players. This also means they sign some free agent minor leaguers, which I'd rather they not, but I have no choice. I had like 150 players in 1 team in rookie league, just because I didn't have the heart to release anyone, so I need someone to do it for me!
Ile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:59 AM   #14
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
How do you know when it's time to challenge him? There seems to be a huge blurry line between challenging a player and throwing him into the fire.
You don't always. That's part of the fun

RichW

Old 10-17-2014, 06:39 AM   #15
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ile View Post
I had the same problem of being too loyal to my youngsters, so I've now allowed my minor league managers to release players. This also means they sign some free agent minor leaguers, which I'd rather they not, but I have no choice. I had like 150 players in 1 team in rookie league, just because I didn't have the heart to release anyone, so I need someone to do it for me!
I also struggle with this. I always think if they can only have one more season. What I have started doing, which has helped, is releasing players at the higher levels when they get the red arrow then moving people up. I have also set age limits on my rookie league. If they are still at rookie level at 21, they get cut. Sometimes I'll create an additional rookie league team. But I can't give control to my minors coaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
You don't always. That's part of the fun
Perhaps it's all just random and we are merely trying to make patterns out of nothing, lol.

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:20 AM   #16
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
Perhaps it's all just random and we are merely trying to make patterns out of nothing, lol.
That is true in real life.

RichW

Old 10-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #17
Hajew86
Minors (Single A)

This is one of the newer elements to the AI engine that makes for a greater challenge. I've continuously drafted as many pitchers as I possibly can because I now know that there is a great possibility that I might get only 1 SP out of them. However like Rich said, you should always "purge" your minor league system to make sure that the talented players are not in the way. A least once a year..
Hajew86 is offline   Reply With Quote