Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues

Old 01-02-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
Hoover36
Minors (Double A)

2009 Current Roster League with unique rules

If your interested in the TB squad, drop me a quick email at hoover36 at yahoo dot com.

TB is open in this 2009 roster league. We have some unique rules that you would need to understand prior to accepting the team. Here is the most important one that people tend to balk at.

Contract Extensions

Each team will only be allowed to negotiate an extension with 3 players who will be designated the “Franchise Players” for their team during the length of their contract. Please submit all extensions through message board with team name in subject line.

Franchise Players may not be traded until the final year of their deal! Their contracts come with a no trade clause up to that point.

A franchise player may be released, but the team will be held liable for the remainder of the contract (and subject to the cash penalty if applicable).

If a player is not tagged as one of the three franchise players, you cannot sign them to an extension. They will go to free agency where everyone will compete for their services on the open market. This will ensure a constant inflow of FA talent on the market and will make FA important in building a competitive team.

Players who are signed to contracts during the offseason of lengths longer than one year will not automatically become franchised players. Each team must specifically designate the franchise tag to a player. Non-franchised players will play out their contracts and then return to the FA pool, unless a Franchise Slot opens up and the team designates this new player to become its franchise player.

The Franchise Tag will not preclude you from signing non-franchise players to multi-year contracts in the offseason free agency period.

No extensions will be processed during the offseason.

Players must be designated at the position they played the most games at. Starting Pitchers must be designated as starters. Relievers designated as relievers. Closers as closers.

This is a new concept, so I am going to give a detailed example:

The 2009 New York Mets 25 man roster consists of the following players, ages and contracts:

SP Santana, 29, $16M/6yrs
SP Martinez, 37, $10M/1yrs
SP Perez, 27, $6M/3yrs
SP Maine, 27, Final Yr of Arbitration
SP Pelfry, 24, 3rd Yr of Auto-Resign
MR Shoeneweis, 35, $700K/1yr
MR Feliciano, 32, $1M/4yrs
MR Heilman, 30, $2M/3yrs
MR Ayala, 30, $3M/4yrs
MR Smith, 24, 1st Yr of Auto-Resign
CL Wagner, 37, $8M/2yrs
C Schneider, $3M/2yrs
1B Delgado, 36, $12M/1yrs
2B Castillo, 33, $3M/3yrs
3B Wright, 26, Final Yr of Arbitration
SS Reyes, 25, Final Yr of Arbitration
LF Tatis, 33, $3M/3yrs
CF Beltran, 31, $14M/5yrs
RF Church, 30, $4M/2yrs
B1 Castro, 32, $800K/2yrs
B2 Easley, 39, $800K/1yr
B3 Anderson, 34, $1.5M/2yrs
B4 Alou, 42, $7M/1yrs
B5 Chavez, 30, $2M/3yrs
B6 Nixon, 34, $4M/4yrs

As you can see in the above example, 15 of the 25 players have multi-year contracts that last beyond the current season. Of the remaining 10 players, 2 are still under contract via Auto-Resign, meaning they are still in their first 3 years of service. They will play out the 3 years under an auto-resign contract, and 3 years of arbitration contract. So we all still get to keep our young guys for a minimum of 6 seasons. 5 of those remaining 10 players have expiring contracts at seasons end. The remaining 3 of those 10 players are in the final year of arbitration, meaning if you wanted to keep them, they would need to be resigned. So here is how the “franchised players” works.

If I designate Jose Reyes and David Wright to be two of my “franchised players” and I sign Wright and Reyes to 6 year extensions. For the duration of that 6 seasons, anyone whose contract expires during that duration cannot be renegotiated with and will go to FA, unless I use my final “franchise tag” on someone else. Now of course during that time that these other players walk to FA, you can attempt to resign them there on the open market, or find someone else to replace them in Free Agency or in your minor leagues. At the conclusion of those 6 year contracts for Wright and Reyes, I am allowed to change who I designate my “franchise players” to be. And in doing so, I must allow Wright and Reyes to become FA. If I want to renegotiate with them again, I must tag them with the “franchise player” again. The franchise tag must be used wisely. If I tag Reyes and Wright again, and I use my 3rd franchise tag to resign Santana to a new 6 year deal. Every young player who earns 6 years of service time during that duration will walk to free agency. You will need plan out how to use your franchise tags.

Last edited by Hoover36; 01-12-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Hoover36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
Hoover36
Minors (Double A)

TB has been filled, SF is now open.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #3
RandyRocks77
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoover36 View Post
TB has been filled, SF is now open.
I like to take the Giants.. hit me up on Aim randyrocks25
RandyRocks77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
Hoover36
Minors (Double A)

Still looking to fill the SF Giants
Old 01-12-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
LFC1892
All Star Reserve

Great 6.5 league, with top notch commish and roster set. Well worth a look.
LFC1892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:32 PM   #6
Hoover36
Minors (Double A)

And if any one is interested but concerned about the rule above. That rule does not mean you cannot build a team and keep the players you built with around. The rules intent is to prevent teams from constantly signing extensions that the OOTP engine decides (which are significantly undervalued). The rule means you can pick three players who will have these artificially deflated contracts, but the remainder of the team will have contracts that are more closely aligned with Market Value of the leagues GMs. The compensation rules also help with keeping a team together as some teams are reluctant to give up a 1st round pick to sign someone.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:45 PM   #7
Hoover36
Minors (Double A)

Wow, I know the pool of 6.5 GMs has withered, but no one is interested in a league that will challenge your skills as a GM? Everyone just wants to remain in leagues where they can use their same old cookie cutter strategies?

If your looking for a league that will be a challenge, that will force you to play under circumstances that real life GM's play under, this league should be right up your alley. We have the most realistic ratings out there.

9 talents in Stuff are not going to post 13 K/9 ratios. 10 contacts with 4 avoid K's are not going to hit .350 here. We are as realistic a league that you will find out there.

SF is a playoff team from 2009 (they actually had the best pythag. in the NL). Lots of talent, great group of GM's who are knowledgeable. If you can rip off GM's in this league with your trades, you would have to be considered the best used car salesman in the world!

Season starts in the week. I would love to have this team filled by then.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:27 AM   #8
LFC1892
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoover36 View Post
If you can rip off GM's in this league with your trades, you would have to be considered the best used car salesman in the world!
I got unlucky and met THAT used car salesman earlier in season 1....lesson learned.
LFC1892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:25 PM   #9
Radius
Bat Boy

I would like SF. Shall I sign up for your forum?
Radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:11 PM   #10
Hoover36
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radius View Post
I would like SF. Shall I sign up for your forum?

Send me an email with your name and AIM to me at hoover36 at yahoo dot com.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:38 PM   #11
BCustom54
Bat Boy

Hey Hoover, I'm interested in this league if there are anymore openings. I would love to get into a 2009 league with some updated prospects like you have.
BCustom54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:58 PM   #12
Hoover36
Minors (Double A)

If anyone is interested in the league, please email me. Posting here wont tell me anything about yourself. The league is full at the moment, but we could always use a list of people interested when folks leave.