Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support > Earlier versions of OOTP: Closed or Claim Fixed

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 05:34 AM   #1
yajeflow
Minors (Double A)

computer crashed during transaction export

i am running the OOTP 2007, fully-patched version, on vista. i am the commish.

whilst sending some transactions via FTP export, my computer locked up. i crossed my fingers on a restart, but OOTP gets hung up at 100% for a few seconds in trying to load my league before shutting down.

i loaded the previous days 16 saved files, but had the same problem. i then did so for the previous days, too.

so clearly the issue or ding is not within the league files (coaches.dat, players.dat, etc.).

now is where i start to sweat. i've got my whole league depending on me to gets things up and running again, and with hopes of no lost data.

what are my options here? i assume that i should try a reinstall of the program next. i would hate to do this, as it makes me nervous to even think about it.

i have backed up league files daily, as well as an occasional full backup of everything in the 'documents' are. i backed up the actual program files once. why? i don't know.

if i do have to do a reinstall, am i safe? i will obvious move all of the 16 league files to a safe backup. is it a pain trying to get the liscensing into the game once again, considering it is now an old version?

any words of wisdom would be much appreciated, even if (hopefully) they are, "don't worry. as long as you have a recent backup of your 16 league files, you are certain to be able to recover your league".

thank you in advance.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:36 AM   #2
Nutlaw
Hall Of Famer

Uninstalling the game neither removes the license or your saved games from your computer. Don't worry about that. I've done it scores of times.

When you do uninstall, manually delete the C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Sports Interactive\OOTP Baseball 2007 folder.

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by Nutlaw; 05-18-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:11 AM   #3
yajeflow
Minors (Double A)

nutlaw-
i tried things twice. the first time, after it failed to work properly, i then tried to clear out EVERYTHING and give it a fresh go.

1. under 'documents', i moved the contents of the entire 'data' file to a safe place. this inclues several recent backups created when running reports.

2. i then deleted the entire folder.

3. under [my name], 'AppData' and 'roaming', i deleted all contents and folders.

4. on my "D" drive, i moved two files: 'receipt', and one called 'RIBC.lg.tar.gz' to a backup location.

5. then i deleted all contents and folders.

6. so, in theory, i would now have a completely new install to work with.

7. i installed OOTP 2007. then i deleted the contents of the 'data' file under 'documents' and moved my league files into there from my backup.

8. then i ran the 203 final patch.

9. i then moved the 'receipt' file back to its orignial location of my "D" drive, thinking that this might be how it recognizes the liscense.

10. i started up OOTP 2007 and got confirmation that it correctly patched 920 files.

11. i shut it done and then restarted.

12. the RIBC league was ont available to 'continue', so i clicked on it under 'load'.

13. so far, so good (at least in my mind and self-derived theory).

14. it started loading up...spent some time on 87% ("loading messages"), then went to 100%...where it waited for 5-10 seconds before failing, as it had previously done.

15. i attempted to reload after moving in a recent backup into the 'saved_games' 'RIBC.lg' location to identical failure.

so, i am back to where i started.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:24 PM   #4
Nutlaw
Hall Of Famer

Okay.

Are you able to load other leagues without issues?

Are any of the .dat files in your .lg folder 0 kb large?

Do you have 17 .dat files in your .lg folder?

Will the game open properly if you try to load a new .lg folder with only the .dat file contents in it and none of the extra folders?

If you send a copy of your current league files to another owner in your league, is he able to open it without issues or does the same thing happen to him?
Old 05-21-2008, 05:36 AM   #5
yajeflow
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutlaw View Post
Okay.

Are you able to load other leagues without issues?

Are any of the .dat files in your .lg folder 0 kb large?

Do you have 17 .dat files in your .lg folder?

Will the game open properly if you try to load a new .lg folder with only the .dat file contents in it and none of the extra folders?

If you send a copy of your current league files to another owner in your league, is he able to open it without issues or does the same thing happen to him?

i am able to start and load a new league with no problems.

none of the 17 .dat files are 0 kb, but two are 1 kb (options and ethnicities).

excellent call on loading without the other folders. i like the way you are thinking on this. as you might've expected, it DOES load up sans the ballcaps, etc.

i have not yet sent it to other owners to download, but after seeing the results of the previous trial, that certainly is not the issue.

now i just need to find the culprit in the folders. scientific methodology obviously applies here as well, but is there a folder that is most likely the issue? my guess would be something in the 'settings' folder. maybe 'dialog_league_files_upload.cfg' or 'last_date_league_file_uploaded.log'. or maybe the team file ('online_league_file_team_37.ootp.cfg', as an example). i know which team i was uploading the transactions for, and could easily tell which one it is with the 'teams.csv' from the 'import_export' folder.

Last edited by yajeflow; 05-21-2008 at 05:38 AM.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:29 PM   #6
Nutlaw
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajeflow View Post
excellent call on loading without the other folders. i like the way you are thinking on this. as you might've expected, it DOES load up sans the ballcaps, etc.

i have not yet sent it to other owners to download, but after seeing the results of the previous trial, that certainly is not the issue.

now i just need to find the culprit in the folders. scientific methodology obviously applies here as well, but is there a folder that is most likely the issue? my guess would be something in the 'settings' folder. maybe 'dialog_league_files_upload.cfg' or 'last_date_league_file_uploaded.log'. or maybe the team file ('online_league_file_team_37.ootp.cfg', as an example). i know which team i was uploading the transactions for, and could easily tell which one it is with the 'teams.csv' from the 'import_export' folder.
Excellent. This means that your core saved game data is fine and that your league shouldn't have any serious problems.

You may have to kind of guess and check on which folder might have the trouble. You could start adding them back in one at a time. If they are too large, I'd lean more towards the messages or news folders presenting an issue.

Please let us know what you find.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:04 AM   #7
yajeflow
Minors (Double A)

nutlaw-

back from vacation now. unfortunately, right when i was about to tackle this last wednesday night, my monitor went out. rains/pours.

so far, the culprit i have found is...

the 'page_links' folder.
i'm not sure which one of the two files is the real bugger, but my guess would be 'recent_page_links', for obvious reasons.

i was able to load it up and import transactions with only one problem. one team did not have anything for importation. teams that had not submitted trannies were just passed over as per usual, but this one team gave me a blank.

upon completion of the day's games, i went to pull down to my team's home page, and it crashed on me. i then tried to get to the league's home page, with the same results.

then i restarted OOTP and went into our AAA league to see if that would work, and it did. i then switched to the main league, and was able to check scores. i did nothing else, as i feared another crash. i went to the commish page and uploaded the file before anything else coudl possibly go wrong.

i have requested a trannie file from this one team to see if that clears up matters on the latest error.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:18 PM   #8
yajeflow
Minors (Double A)

okay...i was wrong.

i apparently was NOT able to run a day prior to crashing.

so here is where it stands:

i was able to determine that the 'page_links' folder was not allowing me to get the league loaded.

now that it loads, it crashes when trying to run games, as well as crashing when trying to access a team's home page.

i am guessing that the same methodology is the way to go here, by trying to access a team home page after copying over various folders.

i will check to see if i can not only load the league, but access a team home page with nothing but the 17 .dat files loaded. i have a feeling that it would suck badly if it hangs up at that point.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:57 PM   #9
Nutlaw
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
i will check to see if i can not only load the league, but access a team home page with nothing but the 17 .dat files loaded. i have a feeling that it would suck badly if it hangs up at that point.
Guh. Sorry that this is becoming such a hassle for you.

Yeah, you're on the right track. If it's an issue with the .dat files, then we have a larger problem on our hands.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:02 AM   #10
yajeflow
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutlaw View Post
Guh. Sorry that this is becoming such a hassle for you.

Yeah, you're on the right track. If it's an issue with the .dat files, then we have a larger problem on our hands.

nutlaw-

i am back from vacation and ready to roll.

here is the latest skinny:

i have several recent backups of the 17 .dat files just prior to the crash that occured when i was trying to export some trannies. i have not only tried to fire the league up with the recent .dat files, but these slightly older ones, too.

what is happening now is that i am able to load up (without the folders, at present) the league just using the 17 .dat files. i can go in and tinker around a bit. but as soon as i access a team's home page or roster/pitching/etc., i get a crash.

i can load up a dummy new league and access these areas in the dummy league with no problems.

now, if there was some sort of ding on the .dat files of the most recent version, i can understand that. but how can a loading up of older .dat files result in an identical crash when attempting to access rosters, etc.? seems odd to me, as the older files should be pristine.

now, it seems pointless from where i am sitting to attempt to load the folders until this is figured out. since it is crashing no matter when the league's .dat files were saved, my guess is that it is not the .dat files. but that doesn't make sense either, considering how a new league doesn't show any problems like this.

another couple of things:

1. i still do get errors when trying to load the game with the folders in there, so that may still have to be tackled later on.
2. this one might not mean anything at all, but after a crash, if i go to load the league straight away, it will crash there. if i first load another league (which i have been doing as to make sure stuff works in a 'clean' environment) and then go to load the RIBC, it loads up with no problems.

i am very focused on getting the RIBC back up and going and will do whatever it takes on my end. i truly appreciate your patience on getting this resolved. i hope this thread helps others later on who experience this same type of issue.

yajeflow
Old 06-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #11
Nutlaw
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
what is happening now is that i am able to load up (without the folders, at present) the league just using the 17 .dat files. i can go in and tinker around a bit. but as soon as i access a team's home page or roster/pitching/etc., i get a crash.

i can load up a dummy new league and access these areas in the dummy league with no problems.

now, if there was some sort of ding on the .dat files of the most recent version, i can understand that. but how can a loading up of older .dat files result in an identical crash when attempting to access rosters, etc.? seems odd to me, as the older files should be pristine.
Okay, we need to try running these files on a different computer. If you have someone else in your league who can try to reproduce these problems using your same steps, great. If not, I can take a look at them if you zip up a copy of your .dat files and FTP them to us using the following link:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-files-us.html

I'd need the name of your .zip file along with the commish password. You can PM it to me or simply disable the password before sending a copy of the files.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:05 AM   #12
yajeflow
Minors (Double A)

archive of the league files has been sent.

yajeflow.rar

i have PM'd the commish password. the commish is Flashmaster Jay of the Ceylon Intruders.

MUCH appreciated.

yajeflow

Last edited by yajeflow; 06-04-2008 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:23 PM   #13
Nutlaw
Hall Of Famer

Well, I was able to sim ahead just fine. I made it all the way up to 9/1. I can look at team homepages, roster pages, depth chart pages, and everything. Your decision to use scouts with no ratings displayed threw me off a bit, but it looks like everything is working without a problem.

So it doesn't appear to be the league files, fortunately. It appears to be your installation. Please try to uninstall and reinstall, but don't keep your entire data folder this time around. Only keep your saved games and the files that you know that you need.

Have you tried disabling FaceGen, then opening the league? That may do the trick as well.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:02 PM   #14
Sauce-O-Matic
Bat Boy

We Appreciate The Help!

Nutty Buddy,

Looks like we are almost home. On behalf of the Rude Island Players I really wanna thank you for taking the time to help us out. We really, really appreciate it!
Rude Island Baseball Congregation
Old 06-05-2008, 08:21 PM   #15
Nutlaw
Hall Of Famer

I'm glad that I could help.

So is everything working fine now? What happened, exactly?
Old 06-06-2008, 12:22 PM   #16
yajeflow
Minors (Double A)

nutlaw-

okay, here's the results.

i did a complete re-install, as suggested. i did not copy over ALL of the data files.

i brought over 'database', 'ballcaps', jerseys', and 'logos' into the general 'data' folder.

then i created a RIBC.lg folder and brought over the 17 .dat files and 'news'. ('messages' automatically gets updated with all old info once you fire up the league). i had an idea that the issue might've been something in the news, but that turned out to be wrong, i think.

i then fired up the league and was able to do anything/everything. the graphics were not accurate, obviously. the only real strange thing was that the news was all blank. i can only surmise that this stems from an option i chose near the end of the copying over, which i cannot remember exactly what it said, unfortunately. you are given choices for merging files several times (i copied onto the news already there), and it was the final couple that i think might've been crucial here.

but i am NOT concerned. at all. heck, it looks like a clean slate, which is all right by me. the news will become repopulated soon enough, so i have no complaints.

the bikini island bombers have got to be wondering if i am tampering with things. the day prior to all of this, they lost a top bullpen pitcher and jerry sinden, a top-10 slugger in the league whom they just traded for two weeks prior. both are out for the duration (it is august 18 right now, and they are one game ahead of the hard-charging ceylon intuders). in the first game back last night, they lost their #3 all-time VORP leader in CF sameer rose, all but handing ceylon the title on a platter.

so, as you can see - the intrigue and excitement of the RIBC season is back. i did not even mention that the liverpooll dung beetles and birmingham bollocks are tied with three games to go in the AAA English Premiership League.

bottom line - the league is now WORKING. we all thank you very much for your efforts, nutlaw. i've had a lot of mopey 30-somethings whinging to me daily, and you have turned their sad little frowns upside-down. ceylon will wear a commemorative 'nutlaw' graphic on our jerseys next season in honor of your selfless help.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:56 PM   #17
Nutlaw
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
bottom line - the league is now WORKING. we all thank you very much for your efforts, nutlaw. i've had a lot of mopey 30-somethings whinging to me daily, and you have turned their sad little frowns upside-down. ceylon will wear a commemorative 'nutlaw' graphic on our jerseys next season in honor of your selfless help.
Wow. That's very kind of you!

I'm glad that you can all get back to having fun with the game again.
Closed Thread