Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:08 PM   #1
krownroyal83
All Star Reserve

Buying out contracts

Is this possible to do? I was reading in a earlier manual (Ootp 13) that says this...

"Remaining Salary owed if Player is cut - This value specifies the % of salary a team must pay if a player is released. You can choose from None, 10, 15, 20, or 50%"

I'd like to have the option to get out from under a bad contact but still have to pay something like 50% of the players contract and subsequently the player in question would become a free agent. Is this no longer possible under the current CBA?
krownroyal83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:02 AM   #2
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by krownroyal83 View Post
Is this possible to do? I was reading in a earlier manual (Ootp 13) that says this...

"Remaining Salary owed if Player is cut - This value specifies the % of salary a team must pay if a player is released. You can choose from None, 10, 15, 20, or 50%"

I'd like to have the option to get out from under a bad contact but still have to pay something like 50% of the players contract and subsequently the player in question would become a free agent. Is this no longer possible under the current CBA?
Every time I release someone I have to pay 50% of the remaining salary and I'm using default settings.
Findest2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:43 AM   #3
SxSnts9
Minors (Double A)

Huh? When I release someone I have to pay the remainder of their contract. My only options are pay it all now in one lump sum or keep paying their original deal year-by-year.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:10 AM   #4
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SxSnts9 View Post
Huh? When I release someone I have to pay the remainder of their contract. My only options are pay it all now in one lump sum or keep paying their original deal year-by-year.

My post should have said that I usually release someone under an MLB contract at the All-Star break or later, thereby leaving 50% of their contract left to be paid. So I suppose if I released them in spring training it would be 100%. But I would NEVER do that unless they've got 1 year left on their deal and they'll be on IR for the season. Otherwise you never know when you're going to need roster depth throughout the season. It's a LONG, arduous season.
Findest2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:11 AM   #5
SxSnts9
Minors (Double A)

I'll sometimes cut a guy with some years left if he's completely fallen apart and he refuses a minor league assignment. If I have the $$$ on hand I'd rather pay him off this year and free up the extra cap space moving forward. This is only a break glass in case of emergency type of deal though.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:06 PM   #6
nayryentuk
Bat Boy

I normally only use small market teams with limited resources, So what i'll do is send a decent prospect to a team that is willing to pay a majority of his salary to open up money for other things.
nayryentuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:14 PM   #7
oldcatcher
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Location: Virginia, USA under a bridge in a van down by the river
I cut Jacoby Ellsbury with 2 years left on contract. He turned up in the minors for another team a month later.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:15 PM   #8
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by krownroyal83 View Post

That's never been the case AFAIK. For a significant time (decades?) MLB contracts are guaranteed and have to to be paid in full.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:40 AM   #9
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

This is something I have wondered as well. Sometimes I go to release someone and get the option to spread the contract out of the remaining years of the contract. But some players I don't get this option? Is that suppose to be on players with more then two years remaining?

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:20 AM   #10
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
That's never been the case AFAIK. For a significant time (decades?) MLB contracts are guaranteed and have to to be paid in full.
The option is available with reserve-era finances. But yes, it hasn't been since that time, so is not an available option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirmenSmith View Post
This is something I have wondered as well. Sometimes I go to release someone and get the option to spread the contract out of the remaining years of the contract. But some players I don't get this option? Is that suppose to be on players with more then two years remaining?
If you have the money to pay out the whole contract now, you will be given the option to. If you cannot afford it now, then it defaults to paying over the length of the deal.
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote