Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 03-08-2018, 12:04 PM   #1
Chumpo56
Bat Boy

New player: trading questions.

Hi all,

Having spent many hours in the EA sports NHL series franchise mode managing and sim-ing i thought it was time to get a 'proper' hockey management game! :-)

Going from the relatively-basic EA NHL interface and controls to the more complex and involving FHM interface is a little bit of a learning curve but i have heard the community love to help out a noob!

I have a few quick questions (and no doubt a 100 more in the future!) if anybody wouldn't mind enlightening me?

1) Is there any way to create a 'wanted' kind of list to show AI teams what you are looking to trade into your team? The trade block shows what you want to trade -out- but it would be good to let them know that I'm looking for a C or draft picks for example.

2) Is there a good way to figure out what a fair 'price' is for any given player? Its hard to figure out sometimes and although the assistant gives you the "its unlikely they will accept this deal" comment i am used the the 'value' slider in the trade interface in EA NHL.

3) Is there a screen where you can see what trade offers you have out at any given time? If you are waiting to hear back from a few it can be hard to keep track!

4) What is peoples strategy for rebuilding a team? Are the drafts easy to build from or do you find that getting in younger players with high potential is the best way forward? I also have concerns that i will lose my job if i take too long to win! (I'm not one of those that goes in for the 'cant be fired' immunity either!).

Any help that you guys can give on even a couple of the points would be really appreciated and help me to enjoy my switch in platform i think!

Thanks in advance,
Chumpo.

Last edited by Chumpo56; 03-08-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Chumpo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:15 AM   #2
JeffR
FHM Producer

No way to create a wanted/needs list right now, but definitely something that we'd like to add.

Fair price is a little tougher; the assistant's generally the best guide but he can be a little optimistic. As you play more, you should get a bit more of a feel for how the AI looks at trade offers. One thing to keep in mind: because of the cap, contracts can have a very large impact on trading value. If you've got a guy past his prime making big money on a long term contract, it'll be tough to get much for him.

No listing of open trade offers right now. Something like the "open offers" screen in the free agent centre sounds like a good addition, though.

For rebuilding a team (assuming you're playing in the NHL), unless I have an extremely impatient owner, I usually try to go as aggressively as possible into building up my list of picks and prospects, pushing as close to getting fired as I can and aiming to be a contender about 3 seasons after I start. It usually works, but more than once I've misjudged how bad I can get and still keep my job.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:24 AM   #3
Chumpo56
Bat Boy

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for coming back to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
No way to create a wanted/needs list right now, but definitely something that we'd like to add.
That would be great. No all offers that come in to be on your 'wanted' list but at least some as at the minute it's kind of pot luck if the AI comes in with something that might interest you.

Quote:
Fair price is a little tougher; the assistant's generally the best guide but he can be a little optimistic. As you play more, you should get a bit more of a feel for how the AI looks at trade offers. One thing to keep in mind: because of the cap, contracts can have a very large impact on trading value. If you've got a guy past his prime making big money on a long term contract, it'll be tough to get much for him.
Yeah; i guess time/experience will help with this. Steep learning curve for the new player/non-hockey-expert but resolved with time i guess.

Quote:
No listing of open trade offers right now. Something like the "open offers" screen in the free agent centre sounds like a good addition, though.
The FA 'open offers' is exactly what i had in mind for the trade offers.

Quote:
For rebuilding a team (assuming you're playing in the NHL), unless I have an extremely impatient owner, I usually try to go as aggressively as possible into building up my list of picks and prospects, pushing as close to getting fired as I can and aiming to be a contender about 3 seasons after I start. It usually works, but more than once I've misjudged how bad I can get and still keep my job.
Sounds like a plan! Now i just have to bring myself to part with some players i love IRL but simply dont have a future in my team!...

Thanks again.
Chumpo.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:00 AM   #4
Autumn
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Hey Chumpo. I'm a big fan of building teams from scratch, and do that mostly. In the past I've gone for a mix of free agents and drafts, but my most recent game I've been doing drafts exclusively, only trading when it looks like a player will get overshadowed by another and would get lost to waivers if I tried to demote him. In that particular case, I trade for draft picks primarily, and will ask for a very poor prospect in return if its needed to finish the trade. I recently got 3 2nd round draft picks and a .5 potential goalie for a 2.5 star goalie who was performing extremely well.

From this playthrough, I have a couple pieces of advice, if you're interested in them.

1)Have a general strategy for the kind of team you want, so that the players you get don't clash with each other too much. It helps to align with your strategy screen, but you might want to use one strategy for now and another later.

2) If you're doing poorly a few seasons in, think about experimenting with different strategies. I went with the Shero approach at first and found that it helped me improve, but only until the end of the second season. The third season I dropped off and very nearly got fired at the end of the season. In the fourth season I was facing firing again by the end of December, so in order to keep the team I tried switching to the flexible triangle system and actually went .500 for the rest of the season, to my extreme surprise. I'm a month into my fifth season, and now using cycling, and my team is 7-2-2. So don't be as stubborn as I was.

3) If I can't find the type of player I'm looking for in the draft, I grab something else. After they're developed they can be traded for draft picks, as I did earlier. I think it's better than blowing a great draft pick on a lower potential guy.

4) Your lower star guys can sometimes develop beyond their potential. Look in the scouting tab for guys who work hard in practice or who are ready to learn, that sort of thing. I've noticed some goalies especially improve. I drafted a 2 star potential goalie that currently has 3.5 stars.

Good luck, and welcome to the game!
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:15 PM   #5
Chumpo56
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Hey Chumpo. I'm a big fan of building teams from scratch, and do that mostly. In the past I've gone for a mix of free agents and drafts, but my most recent game I've been doing drafts exclusively, only trading when it looks like a player will get overshadowed by another and would get lost to waivers if I tried to demote him. In that particular case, I trade for draft picks primarily, and will ask for a very poor prospect in return if its needed to finish the trade. I recently got 3 2nd round draft picks and a .5 potential goalie for a 2.5 star goalie who was performing extremely well.

From this playthrough, I have a couple pieces of advice, if you're interested in them.

1)Have a general strategy for the kind of team you want, so that the players you get don't clash with each other too much. It helps to align with your strategy screen, but you might want to use one strategy for now and another later.

2) If you're doing poorly a few seasons in, think about experimenting with different strategies. I went with the Shero approach at first and found that it helped me improve, but only until the end of the second season. The third season I dropped off and very nearly got fired at the end of the season. In the fourth season I was facing firing again by the end of December, so in order to keep the team I tried switching to the flexible triangle system and actually went .500 for the rest of the season, to my extreme surprise. I'm a month into my fifth season, and now using cycling, and my team is 7-2-2. So don't be as stubborn as I was.

3) If I can't find the type of player I'm looking for in the draft, I grab something else. After they're developed they can be traded for draft picks, as I did earlier. I think it's better than blowing a great draft pick on a lower potential guy.

4) Your lower star guys can sometimes develop beyond their potential. Look in the scouting tab for guys who work hard in practice or who are ready to learn, that sort of thing. I've noticed some goalies especially improve. I drafted a 2 star potential goalie that currently has 3.5 stars.

Good luck, and welcome to the game!
Hey Autumn,

Thank you so much for coming back to me! This is exactly the kind of advice that a new player like me needs and appreciates!

I will take it on board and hopefully avoid the axe during my rebuild! :-)

Thanks,
Chumpo.