Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:21 PM   #1
js1519
Minors (Triple A)

Need some help deciding what I should do here

So for the first time since I started playing OOTP (since 2008 or so), I have decided to Pbp every game on one pitch mode and try playing my career that way. I went with the Colorado Rockies as I've been intrigued and interested in trying to build a successful team especially pitching wise there. I'm just about to the trade deadline and am not quite sure how I should proceed so I thought I'd ask you guys for your thoughts.
I've done my best to not exploit things such as the waiver wire or make terribly unrealistic trades, so please don't offer suggestions abusing either of those. I have picked up guys using both but have been mindful of realism.
Basically, I am not oblivious to the fact that this team needs starting pitching. I have had multiple huge deficits erased and won many games from behind in dramatic fashion with this team's offense and clearly the statistics bear out those facts as well. I've been thinking of trading Charlie Blackmon for some starting pitching, based on the fact that his is over 30 and about to hit arbitration and even if I kept him around for another year, I am not going to give him anything beyond that so why wait it out right? Problem is, he's having a hell of a season lol. I'm considering him because I have a multitude of OFers in AAA under 26 that I believe could fill in immediately, number 1 being Raimel Tapia as he has already had a good stint with us this year when CarGo was injured.
Thoughts? Reason I'm heavily considering what to do is that it will choose what direction the season goes in....should I tank or go for that wildcard? I have other options as well but this is the way I'm leaning. I don't think making a run at a WC is smart for the long term.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Old 05-29-2017, 06:30 PM   #2
The Yurpman
Major Leagues

Personally, I'd start selling off veterans and get as much young pitching depth as you can for next season and beyond. Chances are you won't grab the WC spot. The Dodgers look like they have one of the spots locked down. So you and 5-6 other teams are fighting for one WC spot.

I'd sell Blackmon and anyone else that's not in your long term plans. Get as many young, talented, groundball, sinker-ball pitchers as you can. I'm fairly confident in Tapia being an adequate replacement for Blackmon.

TLDR; sell, sell, sell for young groundball pitchers.
The Yurpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:36 PM   #3
js1519
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yurpman View Post
Personally, I'd start selling off veterans and get as much young pitching depth as you can for next season and beyond. Chances are you won't grab the WC spot. The Dodgers look like they have one of the spots locked down. So you and 5-6 other teams are fighting for one WC spot.

I'd sell Blackmon and anyone else that's not in your long term plans. Get as many young, talented, groundball, sinker-ball pitchers as you can. I'm fairly confident in Tapia being an adequate replacement for Blackmon.

TLDR; sell, sell, sell for young groundball pitchers.
This is what i had planned on doing if proceeding in that direction. I have already been trying to acquire as many young and decent GB pitchers as possible since the season started. My thought is in Colorado, those extreme GB and high movement guys are my biggest targets.

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2017, 06:50 PM   #4
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Blackmon is probably selling high right now so I would go for it.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:46 PM   #5
js1519
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Blackmon is probably selling high right now so I would go for it.
Yes especially with how he is playing. Thats the major conflict in my mind, he has been my most consistent player to date so far

Old 05-29-2017, 08:48 PM   #6
js1519
Minors (Triple A)

Should I try and full on tank from here on then? I ask because my owner is demanding but has given me a playoff goal of 2022 but since this is challenge mode i do not want to get fired attempting that

Old 05-29-2017, 08:58 PM   #7
JackD
Bat Boy

I would give up on the wildcard spot. Sell your veterans for younger players.
JackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:01 PM   #8
The Yurpman
Major Leagues

Maybe don't go FULL tank mode so you don't get fired in challenge mode. Don't sell every single veteran. But give up on the WC spot. Sell Blackmon while he's hot. Every move you make, make it for the next three years in mind.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:14 PM   #9
js1519
Minors (Triple A)

Should i go for mostly pitching prospects? Or replace vets with prospects who play that position

Old 05-29-2017, 10:41 PM   #10
pgjocki
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1519 View Post
Should i go for mostly pitching prospects? Or replace vets with prospects who play that position

Don't worry about what position the return prospects play - if you trade a LF for a younger LF that's fine, but take the best player you can get. At this point it's about talent and not immediate need.

If you end up with 3 great young 2B/SS you will flip one or two as soon as you can for a better pitcher, maybe even a veteran with a frendly contract.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2017, 12:52 AM   #11
js1519
Minors (Triple A)

OK I'm going to see whats out there for him and others, I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I'm surprised I'm even in this spot just because I figured to be doing much worse by this point in the season. Thanks alot guys!
Old 05-30-2017, 08:01 AM   #12
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Sell high
Rosco Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:11 PM   #13
js1519
Minors (Triple A)

Wanted to give you guys an update and show you the rewards I reaped from cashing in on my hot veterans...

1st trade was- Charlie Blackmon, Didi Gregorius (acquired from earlier trade in beginning of the season), and DJ Lemahieu to the Cubs for Javier Baez (who the Cubs had benched and needed outfield hitting as Schwarber is hitting .210 w 10 HRs so far smh lol), Jose Albertos, Duane Underwood Jr., Ryan Williams and Justin Steele.

2nd trade- Carlos Gonzales to the Mariners for Leonys Martin, Paul Fry, Thyago Vieira, Michael Koval, and Luis Liberato.

I think I did well especially considering I felt I stayed within the realm of realism to satisfy myself from exploiting the AI. The first trade was a great haul especially since I had given up to of my better players, although DJ had been slumping massively after coming back from a couple week injury before the trade. Thanks again for your help and input, how do you think I did?
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image Image 
Old 05-30-2017, 02:13 PM   #14
js1519
Minors (Triple A)

Continued...
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image Image 
Old 05-30-2017, 02:14 PM   #15
js1519
Minors (Triple A)

Cont....
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Old 05-30-2017, 04:37 PM   #16
The Yurpman
Major Leagues

I think you ended up with a pretty damn good haul. I'm sure you could have abused the AI more but there's no fun in that. It'll be interesting to see what kind of numbers Javier Baez puts up in Colorado.

Also, just speaking from my modern day Red Sox game, Jose Albertos turns out to be a decent MLB SP eventually.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:00 PM   #17
js1519
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yurpman View Post
I think you ended up with a pretty damn good haul. I'm sure you could have abused the AI more but there's no fun in that. It'll be interesting to see what kind of numbers Javier Baez puts up in Colorado.

Also, just speaking from my modern day Red Sox game, Jose Albertos turns out to be a decent MLB SP eventually.
Good to know he turns out well from your experience, Albertos was the one i was most excited about

Old 05-30-2017, 07:04 PM   #18
js1519
Minors (Triple A)

My overall goal now is to collect all the GB pitchers, FB hitters, and best defenders i can find and build the rockies around that mentality