Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - Online Leagues

OOTP 15 - Online Leagues Want to create or join an OOTP 15 online league? This is the right forum for you.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:00 PM   #1
BDMarvel
Minors (Rookie Ball)

GM Decisions in an Online League

I'm setting up an online league where I will be the commissioner. I've read over the manual and have my FTP settings up and running fine, but being new to OOTP there's one thing (for now) that's still confusing me, and I can't seem to find any information elsewhere.

In a single player game, auto-playing until a specific date works fine, because the autoplay will be interrupted when something needs to be dealt with. So far my autoplay tests as commissioner do not work in the same way. So how can I handle situations like these?

I plan to autoplay one week at a time, but what happens when decisions need to be made by any of the GMs during that week? How can contracts be negotiated and the like?
BDMarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:19 PM   #2
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

It depends what you are talking about.

DFA, waivers and DL return can stop the sim. We sim 1 week at a time.
We set Waivers to 14 days/2 weeks. DFA 21 days/3weeks. DL to 14 days.
This means the vast majority of the time these lists run out on the day the sim ends. ST/pre-opening day demotions can be a little screwy for a sim or 3.

Contract negotiations work fine. The GMs just have a chance to respond once a week instead of more frequently.
During off season FA all of the offers are processed at once (I think) and then the sim finishes. All of the GMs get the responses on the same game date so there is no advantage.

If you mix in CPU run teams there is a CPU advantage because they will respond as soon as there is a result where the human GMs have to wait. Waivers can be a real headache with CPU vs multiple humans in online leagues.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:21 AM   #3
BDMarvel
Minors (Rookie Ball)

For my first league I'm planning to run a modern 2014 MLB league with only 3 human players to start, so the CPU advantage will be significant. Are there any ways to mitigate this problem?
Old 04-25-2014, 01:15 AM   #4
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

I know I said waivers but I think Free Agency may be even more of a problem.

Short sims in the offseason? 2-3 days instead of a week.

Honestly you could just turn waivers off. It might effect the rules more than you want.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:34 AM   #5
BDMarvel
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks. Is there anything else that should be turned off, or settings to tick that might better facilitate a small group of players in a league with plenty of CPU teams? I've looked through most of the options, but I'm hesitant to make changes to things I don't understand, and right now there's a lot about baseball I don't understand. I really appreciate your advice TGH-Adfabre. This league will provide a means for my brothers (who live in a different State) and I to keep in touch. It's a family thing, which is why there are only a few human players.

Edit:

If Free Agency will prove to be a problem, should I disable it? Or (even more drastic, I know) should I activate the reserve clause? The goal is basically to streamline as much as I can, but only when it comes to things that won't work well when auto-playing 7 days at a time. I have disabled waivers, and set DFA and DL to 14 days. I will be running a test league first, to try and work these kinks out, but I'm hoping to address as much as possible beforehand.

Last edited by BDMarvel; 04-25-2014 at 01:47 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:43 AM   #6
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

For AI run teams, during the offseason, go into the AI teams settings and check the box to say "do not allow AI to make roster changes" before the sim
Let's say you have 14 day sims, on day 13, go in and uncheck that box

This gives the AI 1 day to make waiver claims, offer contracts and promote/demote

Then run the last day

Make sure you write a big note and put that right near your monitor so you won't forget
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:23 PM   #7
kopuz
Minors (Double A)

I am very new to OOTP, but I currently am hosting/commish online league for myself and a buddy. There are growing pains you are going to experience.

You mention FA causing issues. FA actually has went really smooth for us. We generally Sim 4 days at a time. During FA we did go to 3 days. It was drafts that caused us to stop and think for a moment.

Problem: Online league - What is the best way to handle the draft?

At first we thought I would have to manually fire off a build (im a dev, so i use the lingo) and ping everyone to download the newest game file for each and every draft.

Solution: Teamviewer

I use Teamviewer for personal and work tasks. I couldn't live without it. I have a main gaming rig I sit at in my office at home, well I have a "Bitchbox" that I use for everything else other then gaming. I leave it on 24/7 as it is hosting files for personal/work blah blah. Well I installed OOTP to that box and just Teamviewer into the box to play the game. This way I can play from my phone easy yada yada. Well another feature in Teamviewer is to share a session. So I give my temp credentials to my buddy who remotes in to my machine and we do the draft from my main host machine. Works very smooth. Also, after I was knocked out of playoffs last year and he went on to win the WS. We just used my host to play/sim all the game. After the season I just built a file and he downloaded to catch up. Worked great.

Hope this helps. Might not be the best solution as I myself am still very new to this application. But this is what removed stress and worry from our league.
kopuz is offline   Reply With Quote