Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
malichai11
Minors (Triple A)

Why are the catchers so awful in my league?

I'm playing a historical league, I've been playing for 5 seasons now, and every year the catchers in my league seem to be getting worse. Was 1985 just a deadspot for catchers? Currently, there is 1 4 star, 1 3 star, 3 2 star catcher, 1 1.5 star, 2 1 star, and the rest are half star. Was there just some weird catcher deadspot between 1981-1986?
malichai11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
tysok
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by malichai11 View Post
I'm playing a historical league, I've been playing for 5 seasons now, and every year the catchers in my league seem to be getting worse. Was 1985 just a deadspot for catchers? Currently, there is 1 4 star, 1 3 star, 3 2 star catcher, 1 1.5 star, 2 1 star, and the rest are half star. Was there just some weird catcher deadspot between 1981-1986?
I dunno, but the catcher spot used to not be a big producer offensively, which overall stars are mostly offense (as far as I recall).

In the 4 division winners in 1985 they had main catchers that hit .245, .245, .225, .296 Very small sample there but I don't want to click around on baseball reference anymore.

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour... is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. (Vince Lombardi)

I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom. (George S. Patton)
tysok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:00 AM   #3
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by malichai11 View Post
Context, context, context. You must remove the "Steroid Era Goggles" if you want to see the solid offensive catchers. Ron Hassey held up his end of the bargain in a platoon with Butch Wynegar for the Yankees. Gary Carter and Mike Scioscia displayed offensive awesomeness. The platoon of Mark Bailey and Alan Ashby in Houston was very good, but the Astrodome swallowed up their very goodness. Rich Gedman was very good for the Red Sox. Lance Parrish and Carlton Fisk had solid years for the Tigers and White Sox respectively and well that's about it for the better hitting catchers. You won't see them unless you adjust for era, ballpark etc (i.e. neutralized stats) or if you look at them with today's standards for offense in mind.

Last edited by actionjackson; 06-13-2009 at 12:15 PM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote