Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 05-16-2006, 12:20 PM   #1
diamond2377
Minors (Single A)

Free agency and frustrating financials

I am completely frustrated with using MLB type financials in this game, but it's realistic so I want to use it. Growing up I always watched baseball, but never payed attention to the financial aspect of it. So here's my dilemma:
In my second season there was something like 20 million available for signing extensions, so I used it all to sign my best players.There was also free agency money that I used all but $5 million of. The seaon ends and I begin the 3rd season. To my suprise there was -24 million available. I wasn't able to sign coaches, free agents or anything. So I had to get rid of some high priced pitchers and pick up some cheaper ones. I guess I have a couple questions regarding this
- If the computer said I had money available to sign extensions, but I end up with a negative amount for free agents next season, then what other financial numbers should I be looking at to avoid this?
- What positions do you guys recommend spending the most money at, and which do you skimp on(I would think I should be cheap at MR)?

By the way, I am using OOTP5. But I want to avoid running into this when I use OOTPBM. I'm thinking this is just part of the game. I like the idea of keeping my team together for awhile in a heavy free agent league, but I'm wondering if wheeling and dealing is just part of the game.
diamond2377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:34 PM   #2
Gastric ReFlux
Hall Of Famer

In OOTP2006, there'll be a setting where you can play the game as the manager of the team, and not have to worry about signing players to contracts, extensions.

I, too, don't like financials, and can see the idea of playing as a manager is very appealing to me.
Gastric ReFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:20 PM   #3
Derek4jc
Minors (Triple A)

In my online league, I tell guys they should always look at how much money they made the previous year, to gauge how much they should spend the following year, avoiding going too much over that.
Derek4jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:05 PM   #4
diamond2377
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gastric ReFlux
In OOTP2006, there'll be a setting where you can play the game as the manager of the team, and not have to worry about signing players to contracts, extensions.

I, too, don't like financials, and can see the idea of playing as a manager is very appealing to me.
Playing in manager mode is a great idea. But will I have to settle with the player moves the computer GM comes up with, or will I have some say?
diamond2377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:24 PM   #5
Gastric ReFlux
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond2377
Playing in manager mode is a great idea. But will I have to settle with the player moves the computer GM comes up with, or will I have some say?
I don't know. I suspect that you're just going to have to live with the moves the GM makes, at least at the minor league level if you're managing there.

But it may be possible that if you're a manager at the top level, the game will give you some input. But I don't know.
Gastric ReFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:19 PM   #6
BIG Irish
Minors (Double A)

If you're just the manager you shouldn't have control over the financials, the draft, player movement or even trades.
I don't get how anybody could be okay with that. You could be having a great season & the computer GM trades away your best young player to bring in a veteran for a post season run...that would KILL ME!!!
BIG Irish is offline   Reply With Quote