Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - New to the Game?

OOTP 20 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 10-04-2019, 09:15 PM   #1
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Managing Finances

Quick play the Yankees or Red Sox and don't worry about it.

Seriously I am working out a system and I would appreciate discussion.
Rule 1 no more than 10% of payroll on one player. In my fictional league I broke this a bit I have a payroll of about 172 million and my possible HOF 1b is getting 18 million. You will have up to 40 guys on your secondary roster. I don't recommend capping it at 1/40 for each position splurge some places and skimp others.

Rule 2 You can have some average guys and do well
My SPs are 3 star mostly. Again with no more than 17 million or so it is hard to find aces if you have to go free agency. If you can home grow one keep until arbitration sends his salary through the roof.

Rule 3 home grow where possible. Having young guys not arbitration eligible or in the arbitration stage can't be understated.

Where to splurge
SP you are going to have pay for it. As a upper mid market team I don't have a Cy Young potential guy. My scouts say my Ace is a mid rotation guy. With rule 1 I am paying a little less than 10%.

3 hitter No way around this a guy with good contact, gap, and power is going to cost you.

Where not to splurge
C It is very hard to find good hitter C. Historically this is a skill position. Good hitting C are going to cost you an arm and a leg

CL the moneyball system said closers were overvalued in the league. The AI doesn't tend to undervalue much still closers and set up men are going to cost you for a bullpen. The Houston Astros have shown you don't need Hoffman/Rivera etc to win it all

Leadoff ? Depends. I am playing in the AL my filter is above average (60 on 20-80 scale) Contact, Avoid Ks, and stealing. I found a guy who can't field for about 1.5 million. That is ok when he can DH, he is deadweight in interleague games where I don't have a DH though.

Moderate expenditure
4,5,6 hitter I'm old school I don't mind an Adam Dunn in cleanup (high K low avg lots of dingers) 5 and 6 need to be RBI so just above average power and average contact or even good gap works

SS
The skill spectrum is a tool I use. That is SS,C,CF are going to be the harder positions to play and skills are a premium. I not quite the 70's-2000's Astros with a light stick glove wizzard here but it can work. A good hitting and fielding SS is gonna cost a lot though. So average hitters can work.

2 hitter again you want good OBP here. Set the table don't need a 30/30 guy but if you can get it it is nice.

I tend to put moderate expenditure or low for the 7,8,9 hitter if DHing. Again rule 2, even in an Astronomical market it is hard to pay for a team of All stars if you don't home grow them

I have probably learned more what not to do like splurge on a Cy Young winner ace and have a 4A player in the five rotation spot. I have had a 18 game winner and not made the playoffs before. That team didn't win 90 games and I often found it hard to sign talent to fill holes where needed because the budget was at the limit.

Last rule. Try to keep some budget for trades for that last guy you need to make a run to the playoffs you might look for in July. It is a long season of trying to trade overpaid underperforming guys when you are 8 games out of the wildcard in July and you have no budget. Also FA is only one way to get what you need you need to be open for trades and have some budget to improve if you are on the cusp near the trade deadline or need one more gun for a world series run.

Last edited by Biggio509; 10-04-2019 at 09:18 PM.
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:15 PM   #2
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

I would note the 10% isn't hard and fast. If the baseball gods smile on you and you have great players you were able to home grow you can splurge a bit more on a guy or two. Just beware of the Drayton McLane syndrome blowing the budget in the offseason on aging vets you think are the last piece to a world series. I think D Mac was really just thinking Tajeda, Clemens, etc. will put enough butts in the seats to pay off even if the team doesn't make the playoffs but you aren't the owner, a nice fat profit and a team dead by the all star break doesn't make you smile as an OOTP GM, finances are important but profit isn't the final goal.

Last edited by Biggio509; 10-04-2019 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:16 PM   #3
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

The Drayton McLane syndrome

One more caveat to the D Mac syndrome, in OOTP 20 I have found the owner starts giving goals to majorly cut payroll if you aren't winning and attendance drops while being out of the pennant chase not a fun position to be in. I have been under .500 and the owner wants me to cut payroll by $20 mil and then another $20 mil the next season. Veterans with big contracts are not the easiest to trade often you can only find other guys with big contracts to trade. Not what you want if you need to slash payroll and get prospects.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:16 PM   #4
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

I guess I could add be careful about contract years. I have had 37 y/o stars wanting big 5 year contracts. You don't want to be saddled with that while you hope the guy retires so you don't have to pay him another 20 mil a year. Younger guys are still a risk to long contracts. I try not to go for more than 3 years. Like in real life, that big contract can be on the injured list for 10 months. If you don't have payroll flexibility that is a long season where you want to quit.

This is mostly mid market advice but it could work for a small market team or a astronomical market team with a huge budget.