Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 11-07-2008, 08:36 AM   #1
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Talking OOTP 9 released for Linux!

We are proud to announce that we have just released OOTP 9 for a third operating system: Linux!

We always wanted to create a Linux version, but there was no e-distribution service available for the platform. So, our friends from P.I.S.D. (OOTP 9 is built using their code libraries) created their own system, called PEDS. PEDS allows cross-platform licenses for games, and works similar to eLicense or eSellerate. We will switch all of our games to this system next year if it works the way we think it will. This will allow you to use your purchased OOTP licenses on any of the three operating systems!

So, in order to purchase OOTP 9 for Linux, please follow these steps:

1) Download OOTP 9 for Linux here: http://www.ootpdevfiles.com/ootp/oot...install.tar.gz
2) Install the game and run it.
3) The game starts in demo-mode. You can try out the game for a while, and then click on the '"Buy OOTP Baseball" button at the bottom of the screen.
4) You will taken to the PEDS website, please create an account there.
5) Your PEDS account password gets emailed to you. Please log in using the password.
6) You are now in the PEDS webstore. Click on "Out of the Park Developments" at the bottom to list our games, or if you see OOTP 9 already listed, click on "Buy 2 licenses".
7) You will now be taken to PayPal, which will handle the transaction.
8) Once the transaction is complete, the two license keys will be listed in your PEDS account and emailed to you as well.
9) In the OOTP 9 main screen, click on "Enter a license key" and enter one of your licenses.
10) That's it, enjoy the game

OOTP 9 will work with every 32-bit Linux OS, if the following dependencies are met: (It may run on some 64-bit Linux as well if you have all the 32-bit compatibility packages installed correctly.)

linux-gate.so.1 => (0xffffe000)
libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0x40042000)
libz.so.1 => /lib/libz.so.1 (0x40133000)
libXxf86vm.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXxf86vm.so.1 (0x40147000)
libmysqlclient.so.15 => /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.15 (0x4014c000)
libasound.so.2 => /usr/lib/libasound.so.2 (0x402b9000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x4039e000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/i686/libc.so.6 (0x403ac000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/i686/libm.so.6 (0x404fa000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x40520000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/i686/libpthread.so.0 (0x40524000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)
libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 (0x4053c000)
libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXext.so.6 (0x4064e000)
libssl.so.0.9.8 => /usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8 (0x4065f000)
libcrypto.so.0.9.8 => /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8 (0x406ac000)
librt.so.1 => /lib/i686/librt.so.1 (0x40834000)
libxcb-xlib.so.0 => /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0 (0x4083d000)
libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/libxcb.so.1 (0x4083f000)
libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXau.so.6 (0x4085d000)
libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXdmcp.so.6 (0x40860000)

But the best way to find out is simply launching the game

Enjoy!
Markus

Last edited by Andreas Raht; 11-07-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:02 PM   #2
kq76
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
This will allow you to use your purchased OOTP licenses on any of the three operating systems!
Wow! This awesome news, better than the linux release news itself. Thanks, guys. Will licenses work the same way as before though? That is, you get 2 and you get to use them on whatever computer you want?
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:49 PM   #3
phenom
Hall Of Famer

ping: eriqjaffe, MalleusDei

phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:10 PM   #4
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

Great News!!! I am now going to get rid of VISTA and load Ubuntu 8.10.0. I had a dual boot with XP and Ubuntu and then my hard drive crashed. Bought a new pc and am totally satisfied with the speed of the system but VISTA is a resource hog......Only had VISTA so I could still use OOTP.

SandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:15 PM   #5
Bonedwarf
All Star Starter

Holy crap! Way to go Markus!!!

Wish you'd done this with OOTP 4 when I used to actually review Linux stuff for a living!

Last edited by Bonedwarf; 11-07-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Bonedwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:20 PM   #6
Nutlaw
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
Wow! This awesome news, better than the linux release news itself. Thanks, guys. Will licenses work the same way as before though? That is, you get 2 and you get to use them on whatever computer you want?
Just to be clear, don't forget this part of the quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
We will switch all of our games to this system next year if it works the way we think it will.
Nutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:11 AM   #7
pisdpaul
Developer PISD & OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
If I understand what you mean here, then yes you can. When you buy OOTP you get two licences added to your PEDS account. You can then uses both of the licences to authenticate 2 different computers you own. Once we release windows and Mac on the PEDS system these licences will work on any of the 3 OS.

So you could have OOTP installed on your Desktop Linux box, and on your PowerBook for those times your are out of the house.
pisdpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 09:26 AM   #8
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenom View Post
ping: eriqjaffe, MalleusDei

Some have already been pressed into duty as landmine detectors.

Linux fans should also note OOTP is faster on Linux on the same hardware as Windows.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:15 AM   #9
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidergoo View Post
Linux fans should also note OOTP is faster on Linux on the same hardware as Windows.
"

I've been very happy with the Linux builds. also, PEDS is very easy to deal with, licensing & unlicensing is almost exactly as simple as it is with eLicense.

I had no problem transferring leagues from my Windows installation. I've also been exporting for my online league for weeks now without any problems at all, which is kind of cool.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:57 PM   #10
wbonnell
Minors (Single A)

Beta license just expired and now I'm only given demo mode. Will I need to continue running this under WINE for the time being? I'd rather not spend another $40 for the linux licenses if I don't have to.
wbonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:31 PM   #11
SSG Troyer
All Star Starter

FWIW, the acronym PEDS is trademarked in the US (I believe). It is a fantasy football draft-assist program (Player Evaluation and Draft Software)

Fantasy Football Software by First Place Sports Software - PEDS 2008
Old 11-08-2008, 06:07 PM   #12
pisdpaul
Developer PISD & OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSG Troyer View Post
FWIW, the acronym PEDS is trademarked in the US (I believe). It is a fantasy football draft-assist program (Player Evaluation and Draft Software)

Fantasy Football Software by First Place Sports Software - PEDS 2008
Thanks for that I was not aware of that. I just did a Uk and EU search and it seems that PEDS is not trademarked in UK or Europe. Also my PEDS is a service not a product which means I am probably seen as a different trademark class meaning there is no infringement.

Also the system is called "PISD Electronic Distribution System", which I use in most, if not all legal places. I only type PEDS as a shortcut If you see PEDS written in the game or on the Website then please do tell me and I will change it to be sure. Although the use of the term "PEDS" in the website terms and conditions is a standard legal pratice and not trademark infringement

Thanks for letting me know tho...
Old 11-09-2008, 03:50 PM   #13
pisdpaul
Developer PISD & OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbonnell View Post
Beta license just expired and now I'm only given demo mode. Will I need to continue running this under WINE for the time being? I'd rather not spend another $40 for the linux licenses if I don't have to.
Unless there are two poeple using the the name "wbonnell" you already have a licence in the PEDS system. If you login you will see two licences listed, each with a serial number. Copy and paste one of those serial numbers into the game. If you click on the "Enter serial number" button at the bottom of the entry screen you will see where to paste it. Then you will be in fully payed up mode and should not be limited anymore
Old 11-10-2008, 03:26 PM   #14
mikev
Hall Of Famer

Just to clarify, you aren't able to use a license key from the windows version so you'd have to buy OOTP again for Linux, yes?
Old 11-11-2008, 12:39 AM   #15
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

The Linux Game Tome: Out of the Park Baseball

Old 11-11-2008, 06:16 AM   #16
Tony M
Global Moderator

I installed Linux on my laptop last night.

It was so much easier on the Vista system in that shrinking partitions actually moves the data as well so the Windows boots up as it should.

I stuck a copy of the ubuntu iso onto a CD and got it installed in around an hour.

Connected to my wireless network no problem (I thought it was going to be a unix terminal type hell), and downloaded the game and installed it.

Had to install mysql before getting the game to run, but after that it ran perfectly and faster than the Windows version...
Old 11-11-2008, 09:24 AM   #17
pisdpaul
Developer PISD & OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikev View Post
Just to clarify, you aren't able to use a license key from the windows version so you'd have to buy OOTP again for Linux, yes?
If every thing goes to plan you will be able to use the same licence key on Window, Mac and Linux for OOTP10. That is what we are aiming for.

However, for OOTP9, there are 3 different systems in use. Each platform uses a different distribution system. I have been talking with Andreas and Markus about this and the best we can offer is a $20 discount if you are buying another platform. So thats 50% off. So if you have windows and want to buy Mac or Linux you can apply for a $20 discount code. This is done by emailing your licence order ID, full name and email address to ootp9upgrade@pisd.co.uk. This discount is subject to your licence being verified and is valid until 31st December 2008.

There will be a newsletter sent out later with all these details in.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:01 AM   #18
Andreas Raht
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriqjaffe View Post
Thanks!
Andreas Raht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:06 AM   #19
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

Nice!
canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:37 PM   #20
chrisod
Bat Boy

Crap!

I had pretty much weaned myself from OOTP because I never wanted to boot into Windows, and I had not been able to get OOTP stable under wine. Now I have no more excuses
chrisod is offline   Reply With Quote