Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 12-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #241
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Name:  Image0254.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  58.5 KB

Two stupidities in each of the first two paragraphs and a jaw-dropper in the third.

First, why would anyone think of "white whale" as a metaphor? Is he not aware of how that tale turned out?

Second, only a stupid sportswriter, or a very gullible and inexperienced fan, would say something like "it’s made them the hands-down favorite to win the 2020 World Series." Yeah, right. I'll answer that one with a couple of imagined headlines:

"Cole Tweaks Elbow, Needs MRI - Prognosis Uncertain"
"Yankees Continue to Flounder as Cole Underperforms"

Third, the jaw-dropper: 9 years. For a guy who will be 29 1/2 at spring training. Somebody brought up A-Rod in another thread, and he was right. Here we go again. The money I don't care about (except that it is my money, a minuscule portion of it, indirectly). I don't want to hear about payroll problems and luxury taxes when this guy is going on 39 and has been washed up for years.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:57 AM   #242
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Attachment 663618

Two stupidities in each of the first two paragraphs and a jaw-dropper in the third.

First, why would anyone think of "white whale" as a metaphor? Is he not aware of how that tale turned out?

Second, only a stupid sportswriter, or a very gullible and inexperienced fan, would say something like "it’s made them the hands-down favorite to win the 2020 World Series." Yeah, right. I'll answer that one with a couple of imagined headlines:

"Cole Tweaks Elbow, Needs MRI - Prognosis Uncertain"
"Yankees Continue to Flounder as Cole Underperforms"

Third, the jaw-dropper: 9 years. For a guy who will be 29 1/2 at spring training. Somebody brought up A-Rod in another thread, and he was right. Here we go again. The money I don't care about (except that it is my money, a minuscule portion of it, indirectly). I don't want to hear about payroll problems and luxury taxes when this guy is going on 39 and has been washed up for years.
Man oh man has it been so long since the Yankees had a true ace. It was CC a few years ago, but that seems like a long time. They got a stopper, someone you can hand the ball to feel confident your team is in the game. Once Happ is gone then it will be interesting with Montegomery or Germaine for the final spot.
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:07 PM   #243
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdreamer2k View Post
Man oh man has it been so long since the Yankees had a true ace. It was CC a few years ago, but that seems like a long time. They got a stopper, someone you can hand the ball to feel confident your team is in the game. Once Happ is gone then it will be interesting with Montegomery or Germaine for the final spot.
Well, yeah. Now that I am over my initial skepticism, this is something to look forward to, at least for the next few years and assuming good health.

- Bru

Old 12-12-2019, 01:15 PM   #244
Andy
Hall Of Famer

You have to hope he is dominant for 5 years and then opts out after 2024. That would be a win for the Yankees.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:21 PM   #245
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
You have to hope he is dominant for 5 years and then opts out after 2024. That would be a win for the Yankees.
If they win a couple world series then yeah. I'm looking/hoping Cole will end up being like Verlander. That's why the deal has the opt out in case he is. Good news is that he is striving for that so maybe the next 5 years will be great.

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 02:56 PM   #246
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Hmmm. Now you guys have me excited! How many days until pitchers and catchers?

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 12-12-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:20 PM   #247
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

A beardless Gerrit Cole has joined the team. To make room for Cole on the Yankees' 40-man roster, Chance Adams (career ERA 8.18) was designated for assignment.

Talk about a swing in WAR!

- Bru

Old 12-19-2019, 03:21 PM   #248
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

One article I read said "Cole added to roster but unfortunately Chance Adams was designated for assignment."

My first thought was yeah worth it.

Old 12-19-2019, 03:41 PM   #249
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

Quote:
A beardless Gerrit Cole has joined the team. To make room for Cole on the Yankees' 40-man roster, Chance Adams (career ERA 8.18) was designated for assignment.

Talk about a swing in WAR!
Don't know about his real world upside, but NYY gives him away for nothing in OOTP too and he often becomes a worthwhile starter

And yes, OOTP is how I generally judge any non-MLBer not on a top prospect list

Last edited by ezpkns34; 12-19-2019 at 03:43 PM.
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 12:48 PM   #250
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezpkns34 View Post
And yes, OOTP is how I generally judge any non-MLBer not on a top prospect list
The first sign - losing touch with reality.

- Bru

Old 12-20-2019, 04:49 PM   #251
GeoWar
All Star Reserve

Strasburg is age 31 and will make 2020 = 35 M ... and signed a 7 year contract till 2026 ..... and his injury history
https://www.baseball-reference.com/t...ontracts.shtml

Then deGrom with Mets is 32 years old - injury history - making 2020 = 25 M .. 2021 35.5 M
https://www.baseball-reference.com/t...ontracts.shtml

Texas Longhorns -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2005

Oregon State Beavers -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2006 and 2007

With unity comes VICTORY !
GeoWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:00 PM   #252
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

Royals must play OOTP too, they took a chance on Adams
Old 12-23-2019, 11:24 PM   #253
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezpkns34 View Post
Royals must play OOTP too, they took a chance on Adams
Heh, I like what you did there.

I also like what the Yankees did there, not that they got anything in return. Adams never recovered elbow bone spur surgery in 2017. Does Chance have a chance? Sure, but let him get it with the Royals.

- Bru

Old 12-26-2019, 04:31 PM   #254
GeoWar
All Star Reserve

Yankees looking at moving Happ -- Andujar -- C. Frazier .....
** need a relief pitcher and left hand bat

Pirates - Brewers - Blue Jays possible spots ... others

What works ?

Texas Longhorns -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2005

Oregon State Beavers -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2006 and 2007

With unity comes VICTORY !
GeoWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 08:02 PM   #255
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoWar View Post
Yankees looking at moving Happ
Old 01-03-2020, 01:04 AM   #256
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Domingo German is suspended another 63 games in 2020 and will not be eligible again until June 5. Not so much from the domestic violence aspect - make no mistake, I take that very seriously - but from a baseball perspective, he ought to be made to earn his way back into the rotation.

The Yankees will probably need him by then but the man needs to redeem himself, on the field and off. Again, not that it's the most important aspect of this sorry episode, but he did let his teammates down, badly. He could have made the difference in the postseason.

- Bru

Old 01-22-2020, 01:47 PM   #257
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Not from hostility, but curiosity, would I ask the one person who left Derek Jeter off their Hall of Fame ballot, why? 396 of 397 voters deemed him worthy. Just the 20 year career with .310 batting average and 3,465 hits, sixth all-time, should have been enough, let alone his other accomplishments.

Not that unanimity must be the new mark of excellence - Mariano Rivera may be the only man who ever receives that distinction - but the one voter... what was in mind? A grudge? I wonder for whom that person did vote who, in their opinion, would deserve HoF status more than Jeter? Larry Walker, even?

Alas, rhetorical questions and curiosity unfulfilled.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 01-22-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:43 PM   #258
low
Hall Of Famer

I'm certain the guy who did it just wanted to be "that" guy. I guarantee his only reason was to be a dick.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:26 PM   #259
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not from hostility, but curiosity, would I ask the one person who left Derek Jeter off their Hall of Fame ballot, why? 396 of 397 voters deemed him worthy. Just the 20 year career with .310 batting average and 3,465 hits, sixth all-time, should have been enough, let alone his other accomplishments.

Not that unanimity must be the new mark of excellence - Mariano Rivera may be the only man who ever receives that distinction - but the one voter... what was in mind? A grudge? I wonder for whom that person did vote who, in their opinion, would deserve HoF status more than Jeter? Larry Walker, even?

Alas, rhetorical questions and curiosity unfulfilled.
It would be nice to know the reasoning behind this but I will say that this has now opened up my eyes to the flaws of the voting.

First know I am a very very small hall guy. Most players, like Walker, are not even close. Only the elite players make it. Best example as to how small Hall I am would be what changes I make in OOTP.

1. 90% on ballots
2. 5 names per ballot
3. 5 years on the ballot
4. 20% or lower you are off the ballot.

Those where my attempt to limit Hall entry in the game. These I don't plan on changing just because the computer is the one that chooses them. But in real life I'm definitely thinking I will side with the people that want more then 10 choices. I was worried about this opening the Hall to the very good but that really has already happened.

What I would like to see is 1 year on a ballot but you get to vote on everyone. A simple Yes/No for every player. If you get under 90% then off the ballot you go. I do feel this would eliminate a lot of excuses the writers come up with.

I will be trying this out in OOTP 21 for sure.

Old 01-23-2020, 05:09 PM   #260
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Agree with both of you guys.

Agree with low, except there is one other bizarre possibility: Forgot to check the box (or, checked the one above/below it). Can you imagine?

Agree with AirmenSmith on "Small Hall." According to Wikipedia, "Through the elections for 2019 , a total of 329 people have been inducted, including 230 former major league players, 32 executives, 35 Negro League players and executives, 22 managers, and 10 umpires." I have ascending trouble with that list, starting at the end and working backwards. According to Baseball Reference, 19,690 men have played in major league baseball since 1871. That means only 1.2% of everyone who has ever played professionally is in the Hall of Fame.

Where am I going with this? I don't know. I started out to say one thing but when I looked at the numbers, now I don't feel as strongly about it. I even feel better about Larry Walker, now that I looked closely at his career. He had some really fine seasons, a bunch of them, Colorado notwithstanding. Half the time he was on the road.

Well, now that I typed all this, do I erase it? Nah.

I will add, though, that I read today part of an interview they had with Jack O'Connell of the BBWAA. He took the opportunity to correct a Hall of Fame spokesman who said the proposal to make Hall of Fame voting public was vetoed by the BBWAA. It actually was denied by the HoF, "reasoning that if voters were required to make their votes public, they could be susceptible to outside pressure, preventing them from voting according to their conscience."

Now, let's see. Can I form a definite opinion on this topic? Yes I can. I agree with the HoF. Much as we would like to know, and inquire of, the person who neglected to vote for Jeter, can you imagine what that person would have to go through, given the way social media is today? How voters could be harassed by rabid fans into voting, or punished because they voted, one way or the other?

No, better to leave this process under the covers. That is why it takes only 75% of voters, not 100% (or 90%, which seems like a good threshold to me too, AirmenSmith) to elect somebody to the Baseball Hall of Fame. As with many other aspects of life, the majority of people usually get things right.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 01-23-2020 at 05:12 PM.