Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:47 PM   #41
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF View Post
It is clear also to me that if I allow coaches to set lineups and rotation etc.. they do not look at stats at all.

I always have to go in and edit the lineups / rotation / pen to ensure my best players are playing.

Hmm what are best players - to me that is those players that have the largest potential rating and have a chance to make it all the way to the big leagues. I try to give as many AB/IP to those players because it helps their development to play. In the manual it does say players develop by just being in the ML but in the minors they need play time experience.

At least thats how I do it.
depends on context.. in the minors the potential is the key, of course.

in the majors the best players are the ones with the best ratings inthe best combinations relative to role... results simply don't matter when figuring probability of the future in this video game, because we have access to ratigns, somethign we don't quite have in RL, despite a RL scout's overconfidence in themselves.

any hiccup in statistical results are temporary... if you think you can "ride" a hot streak you are mistaken... you can't predict beginning nor end, so how can you use them purposefully? that's a figment of the imagination.

so, if you do a lot of re-configuring of your lineup due to results of the first month or 3 or even constantly throughout the season... you are really just making alot of extra work for yourself for zero to no gain, and possibly hurting yourself when you drop a 'better' player due to short-term results below a player that isn't as good but is overachieving at the moment. (despite recent results, the .300 hitter is better than the .250 guy even if the .250 guy hit 1.000 last week - i don't care how 'hot' he is)

re-configure when you think that 80pow your scout has assigned is actually a 50vs L and a 80 vs R power rating. i.e. bad rating, bad splits not represented correctly... simply put, fear bad scouting is the reason to change things up.

if the players are interchangeable as far as relative talent... move them arond to your hearts content, because it's not likely to hurt you. e.g. if i have 2 capable lead off players, which i try to do each year, i will think about swapping them around due to the current year - but only if they are very similar in ratings.

Side note: i've seen those green arrows pointing for someone playing like crap too... so i doubt just how important stats are to them. promotions are about ability, not results.... if the ai uses results, it's purposefully muddying the picture - which i am not discounting as a good or bad idea. a braoder view would be need to understand that.

Easy way to pick for minors: set each setting, click ai to setup pen/lineups, and compare results... try to see how it made the decisions when there is a difference in choice. you see enough of that you will know exactly what's going on and can make an informed decision. including me, no one here as presented any real solid info besides theories about it.

Last edited by NoOne; 01-06-2017 at 07:54 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:00 PM   #42
USF
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post

in the majors the best players are the ones with the best ratings inthe best combinations relative to role... results simply don't matter when figuring probability of the future in this video game, because we have access to ratigns, somethign we don't quite have in RL, despite a RL scout's overconfidence in themselves.

any hiccup in statistical results are temporary... if you think you can "ride" a hot streak you are mistaken... you can't predict beginning nor end, so how can you use them purposefully? that's a figment of the imagination.

so, if you do a lot of re-configuring of your lineup due to results of the first month or 3 or even constantly throughout the season... you are really just making alot of extra work for yourself for zero to no gain, and possibly hurting yourself when you drop a 'better' player due to short-term results below a player that isn't as good but is overachieving at the moment. (despite recent results, the .300 hitter is better than the .250 guy even if the .250 guy hit 1.000 last week - i don't care how 'hot' he is)

re-configure when you think that 80pow your scout has assigned is actually a 50vs L and a 80 vs R power rating. i.e. bad rating, bad splits not represented correctly... simply put, fear bad scouting is the reason to change things up.

if the players are interchangeable as far as relative talent... move them arond to your hearts content, because it's not likely to hurt you. e.g. if i have 2 capable lead off players, which i try to do each year, i will think about swapping them around due to the current year - but only if they are very similar in ratings.

Side note: i've seen those green arrows pointing for someone playing like crap too... so i doubt just how important stats are to them. promotions are about ability, not results.... if the ai uses results, it's purposefully muddying the picture - which i am not discounting as a good or bad idea. a braoder view would be need to understand that.

Easy way to pick for minors: set each setting, click ai to setup pen/lineups, and compare results... try to see how it made the decisions when there is a difference in choice. you see enough of that you will know exactly what's going on and can make an informed decision. including me, no one here as presented any real solid info besides theories about it.
Interesting you mention that, I always adjust my pen and lineups based on the hot hand. I do it every sim. Ive done really really well in hitting using this method in a couple of decades of online league play. Thanks for sharing your wisdom you gave me some things to check out.!

USF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:03 PM   #43
USF
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post

Doesn't the AI player rating evaluation in the league settings dictate this in some way. If it is skewed to stats then that will apply however, if it is skewed to ratings then that will apply if it is 50/50 stats/pure ratings then its even. ??

USF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:04 PM   #44
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Doesn't the AI player rating evaluation in the league settings dictate this in some way. If it is skewed to stats then that will apply however, if it is skewed to ratings then that will apply if it is 50/50 stats/pure ratings then its even. ??
as far as i can tell, ai eval only affects Overall, not the individual ratings. easy to verify, load a throw-away league with 100% accurate ratings and set up some extreme AI evaluation including lots of stats... compare contact (etc) to the profile editr value. convert to your scale, it should never deviate even when overall starts adjusting due to recent results.

if you are talking about splits and the pow example i gave... yeah it's supposed to give you the 'average' of l/r power... but it's just one more way that scouting inaccuracy works with a trend.

e.g. when a player has a HUGE split and the higher split is vs righties, i think they are more often to show a contact that's closer to the upper split rating as opposed to a proper 'average' releative to proportion of r/l etc... (in other words: as it normally would with 100% accuracy) edit: i just had a guy with a split of 100 / 180-some for power... it showed he was 80/80 power even though he's closer to 70/80 due to how bad he is wiht lefties or whatever it was. it basically ignored the left split (this can work with a low value too of opposite split.. i think it's beacuse it's 75% of what the scout sees, so that's the more likely scouting error - as in they use the righty and not understand teh vs lefty portion built into scouting incaccuracy and how it is alotted)

relative to hotstreaks and such: if you like tinkering, i'm not telling you to stop. maybe somethign is in the game that's not advertised, but if they use the laws of probability for the basis of their logic, it very likely is not helping or hurting with any real correlation, because it's completely unpredictable when they start or finish - let alone knowing when they are happening in RL (in the video game they give the little fire icon, but again that is due to recent results not that they are going to continue it.

the ratings don't chagne, so i doubt they are actually 'different' during that time period. (beyond the influence of modeled things like morale and personality and their small effects built-in. these are subtle effects not big enough to cause somethign on their own)

Last edited by NoOne; 01-08-2017 at 06:33 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:17 PM   #45
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Interesting topic.

I use stats - Which is none of the options you asked about. Probably because I play in a league that has hidden ratings and only shows potential.

There are certain statistical categories I look for in a batter or pitcher to ensure success at the next level.

Now obviously if I see a player with a huge potential I try to give them their shot at developing. However, I am a big fan of winning at every level and keep players very happy.

Many ways to skin the cat.

Jason

I believe the AI is still going to go off of ratings however.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:32 PM   #46
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

One more way of looking at this debate: while I pretty much agree that fewer prospects will lose playing using the "potential" setting, I have another outlook that just came to me.

Not saying I am right or wrong, just thought I would throw it out there.

As said above, the AI might not be starting borderline players if one were to be using the "current" setting...however I also wonder if the AI throws an overmatched player into the mix too early (because he has high potential ratings) could it negatively affect development?

Although NoOne also stated the promotion/demotion and who plays at each level, are mutually exclusive...so
Old 01-18-2017, 01:26 AM   #47
msufanatic
Bat Boy

Where exactly is the play potential v. play ability option within OOTP 17?
msufanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:43 AM   #48
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

This was an interesting topic about a year ago, so I thought I'd resurrect it to see if people still have the same opinions. I have been using strictly potential ratings for all levels of the minors, but I admit I have a "temptation" to use current ratings for AAA....even though I probably shouldn't.