Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 20 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:10 PM   #1
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

The Southern League

12 team setup, no divisions. 154 game schedule. Top two teams play in the League Championship Series. Random Debut

I started this league in 1947 and I'm currently sitting at June 25th 1948. The first season, 1947 used 1978 modifiers. 1948 is using 1983. I'm using a random number generator at the end of each season to pick a year between 1978-1986(If 1981 is selected, I get to select) for my modifiers.

No minors. I'm using reserve rosters.

The Teams
Baton Rouge Governors
Beaumont Whitehawks
Biloxi Beavers
Birmingham Black Cats
Corpus Christi River Otters
Jackson War Dogs
Lake Charles Emperors
Mobile Music
Monroe Monsters
San Antonio Bombardiers
Shreveport Swingers
Texarkana Ninjas

Beaumont took home the ring in 1947 defeating San Antonio 5 games to 3.

Last edited by David Watts; 08-13-2019 at 08:13 PM.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:51 AM   #2
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Wondering if anyone else is seeing this in their leagues, be it random debut or straight historical. I'm seeing way too many teams that only carry 2 catchers. Not a huge deal if both catchers on the 25 man roster remain healthy, but it becomes a problem if one of them gets hurt. Then you end up with a position player having to catch and that is one of my big pet peeves.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:46 PM   #3
Beirnej1
Minors (Double A)

I haven't seen that in my Random Debut.

I have a 16 team random debut league which is in the middle of June in season 2. My first year player draft is small, the pool is for 4 rounds worth.

Most of my teams have 2 on the starting 26 man roster (I am using 26 man active rosters) and then most have 2-3 on the reserve roster. I believe 2 of my teams only have 1 on the reserve roster.
Beirnej1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:47 PM   #4
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Wondering if anyone else is seeing this in their leagues, be it random debut or straight historical. I'm seeing way too many teams that only carry 2 catchers. Not a huge deal if both catchers on the 25 man roster remain healthy, but it becomes a problem if one of them gets hurt. Then you end up with a position player having to catch and that is one of my big pet peeves.
You should always carry a catcher on your reserve roster just in case. That's what I do as I don't use farm teams.
Buster Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:52 PM   #5
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Cherry View Post
You should always carry a catcher on your reserve roster just in case. That's what I do as I don't use farm teams.
I don't control a team. All teams are AI controlled.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:02 PM   #6
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beirnej1 View Post
I haven't seen that in my Random Debut.

I have a 16 team random debut league which is in the middle of June in season 2. My first year player draft is small, the pool is for 4 rounds worth.

Most of my teams have 2 on the starting 26 man roster (I am using 26 man active rosters) and then most have 2-3 on the reserve roster. I believe 2 of my teams only have 1 on the reserve roster.
I will keep an eye on this. I'm only halfway through my second season. I'm using a 5 round draft, but I create enough players for 6 rounds, so I can use free agent compensation.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:03 AM   #7
Reed
All Star Starter

Straight historical, in dead all era prior to 1910. In some years the average team has a total of 23 players. Even so, I have seen some teams with 1 catcher while other teams have 4 or 5 active catchers. I have seen some teams with a total of 3 outfielders while others have 7. I have seen teams with 3 pitchers and others with 8 pitchers. Same problem with infielders. Before the season begins, I manual go though and make sure teams have enough players for each position. I wish the AI would do a better job during the draft or through trades to make sure team needs are met. Maybe this would be a good suggestion.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:44 AM   #8
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

No Hitter time.Name:  watch_me_1949-04-09_08-43-10.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  470.8 KB
Old 08-19-2019, 10:14 AM   #9
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

The San Antonio Bombardiers are the 1948 Southern League champs. They defeated the Corpus Christi River Otters 5 games to 4 in come from behind fashion. San Antonio was down 4 games to 3, but won the last two games to bring home the ring. The Bombardiers have been to each of the first two Southern League championship series. Last season they fell short losing to Beaumont. Carl Crawford took home series MVP honors. San Antonio's duel aces of Greg Maddux and Cliff Melton had a strong series as well.

Corpus Christi held off a strong surge by Beaumont to make the series as the wildcard, securing their bid on the last very last day of the regular season. The Otters had a 6 game lead through most of August, before stumbling a bit as Beaumont got hot.

The random number generator gave us 1985 to use for 1949.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:50 AM   #10
Reed
All Star Starter

How can you have a Southern League without the history making Chattanooga Lookouts? We did have that girl that struck out Ruth and Gehrig.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:08 AM   #11
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
How can you have a Southern League without the history making Chattanooga Lookouts? We did have that girl that struck out Ruth and Gehrig.
Ah I will keep them in mind if I expand. Started to use Texas League, but seeing as league went as far east as Alabama, I figured Southern League would work.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:42 AM   #12
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Kind of sad to see what's happening with Pete Rose in my current league. Pete was 37 years old for the inaugural season. He was an everyday player for that first season. Then in 1948 he became a part time player/pinch hitter. Now in 1949, he remains an unsigned free agent into mid May. I keep checking, hoping to see he's signed, but so far things aren't looking good. Oh well that's the way them cookies crumble.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:25 PM   #13
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

Like your choice of cities for the league. Chose six of them for my Redneck fictional league. I split my league into divisions and began in 1960. Your nicknames need work though. Nobody knew what Ninjas were in 1947 Texarkana.

My teams were:

East:
Meridian Choctaws (I was GM)
Tuscaloosa Red Elephants
Biloxi Golden Wave
Monroe Rebels
Pine Bluff Zebras
Baton Rouge Billikens (Yeah, that nickname kinda sucked)

West:
Shreveport Steamers
Texarkana Twins (Texarkana is a Twin City after all)
Muskogee Roughers
Waco Wanderers
Tyler Tigers
Beaumont Oilers

Last edited by Buster Cherry; 09-11-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:10 PM   #14
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Cherry View Post
Like your choice of cities for the league. Chose six of them for my Redneck fictional league. I split my league into divisions and began in 1960. Your nicknames need work though. Nobody knew what Ninjas were in 1947 Texarkana.

My teams were:

East:
Meridian Choctaws (I was GM)
Tuscaloosa Red Elephants
Biloxi Golden Wave
Monroe Rebels
Pine Bluff Zebras
Baton Rouge Billikens (Yeah, that nickname kinda sucked)

West:
Shreveport Steamers
Texarkana Twins (Texarkana is a Twin City after all)
Muskogee Roughers
Waco Wanderers
Tyler Tigers
Beaumont Oilers
I'm lazy and usually just hit randomize nicknames a few times. I ended up scrapping this league though. Couldn't get the post season to play like I wanted. I'm currently in year three of a new random debut using a two sub league setup. 1969-76 setup. I'm using wild cards though to keep the races lively. I think I finally have 1 year recalc working with random debut. This was my true love, but it got really funked up during OOTP17 and 18. So bad, I never even tried it with 19. Finally gave it a try with 20 and I'm liking what I see so far.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:47 PM   #15
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I'm lazy and usually just hit randomize nicknames a few times. I ended up scrapping this league though. Couldn't get the post season to play like I wanted. I'm currently in year three of a new random debut using a two sub league setup. 1969-76 setup. I'm using wild cards though to keep the races lively. I think I finally have 1 year recalc working with random debut. This was my true love, but it got really funked up during OOTP17 and 18. So bad, I never even tried it with 19. Finally gave it a try with 20 and I'm liking what I see so far.
I understand using wild cards. I ran the Redneck League from 1960-66 and although I won two league titles and was runner-up one other time I never won a division title at Meridian. I always got into the playoffs as a wild card. Arch-rival Biloxi seemed to always win the division and then I'd knock them out in the playoffs.

BTW, I thought Baton Rouge Governors was a good nickname seeing as how Baton Rouge is the capitol city of Louisiana. I wish I had used it instead of Billikens.

Last edited by Buster Cherry; 09-11-2019 at 08:11 PM.