Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:40 PM   #1
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

Historical Simulation and databases

I have been using Spritze's database version 18 to manually import Negro League players into a random historical league. I also use it to manually import some Minor League players who had successful careers. Everything seems to work out fine. I use neutralized stats and I import them using the neutralized stats selection. I use the import year of their professional baseball debut.

Now I have tried to import some MLB players so their careers would start when they were 18, instead of say 38.

I found Spritze's DB has different totals then the OOTP 18 DB. I used Eddie Mathews, Barry Bonds and Lou Gehrig as examples:

Now, I'm not sure which DB to use for importing. I guess the differences aren't that much, so maybe I'm splitting hairs!
Jeff1787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:59 PM   #2
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1787 View Post
I have been using Spritze's database version 18 to manually import Negro League players into a random historical league. I also use it to manually import some Minor League players who had successful careers. Everything seems to work out fine. I use neutralized stats and I import them using the neutralized stats selection. I use the import year of their professional baseball debut.

Now I have tried to import some MLB players so their careers would start when they were 18, instead of say 38.

I found Spritze's DB has different totals then the OOTP 18 DB. I used Eddie Mathews, Barry Bonds and Lou Gehrig as examples:

Now, I'm not sure which DB to use for importing. I guess the differences aren't that much, so maybe I'm splitting hairs!
Yep, they are slightly different. I only use Spritze MLB players in cases where they're missing a season of neutralized stats in the OOTP database. The reason I use neutralized stats in the first place is to fill in the gaps, so when somebody is missing one, my OCD takes over and I can't help myself - I must have the Spritze version of that player. I take the late stage career superstars as they come, and realize that somebody unexpected will jump up and take their place in the HoF, and inevitably that's what happens. Of course I also use the Spritze DB for non-MLB players, which kinda goes without saying, so I don't know why I said it.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:38 PM   #3
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

The Spritze database and the neutralized database are very different things. One is a 750 run environment and the other is MLE's. Only players with long MLB careers come out similar in both and even then not always.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:01 PM   #4
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

Hi Spritze, thanks for your hard work and prompt knowledgeable answers. I am planning on starting a Random Historical League when OOTP 19 is released. At this point, I am likely going to use the game's DB.

I am going to use your DB to manually draft Negro League players, PCL players, Japanese players, etc., who had little or no MLB playing time. I will also use it to update players. For instance, if Willie Mays shows up on the inaugural draft at age 35, I might delete him and then replace him manually (as a youngster) using your DB.

Does all of this make sense?

Note - I would use your DB completely, but the inaugural draft would have all youngsters.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:56 PM   #5
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hi Spritze, thanks for your hard work and prompt knowledgeable answers. I am planning on starting a Random Historical League when OOTP 19 is released. At this point, I am likely going to use the game's DB.

I am going to use your DB to manually draft Negro League players, PCL players, Japanese players, etc., who had little or no MLB playing time. I will also use it to update players. For instance, if Willie Mays shows up on the inaugural draft at age 35, I might delete him and then replace him manually (as a youngster) using your DB.

Does all of this make sense?

Note - I would use your DB completely, but the inaugural draft would have all youngsters.
Spritze will have the final word on this, but I'm not sure his current DB is compatible with OOTP19. If any data fields have been added between OOTP18 and OOTP19, it might make importing difficult if not impossible. Fortunately there is still the in-game MiLB database that has most of the non-MLB guys that you seek. They will have different IDs than the Spritze DB does though, so word to the wise, be sure to use the MiLB Master.csv file to look them up before trying to import them.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:15 PM   #6
JaBurns
All Star Starter

When importing is it playeridcommaspaceyear? Or is there no space after the comma ie xxxxxx,YYYY
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:51 PM   #7
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
When importing is it playeridcommaspaceyear? Or is there no space after the comma ie xxxxxx,YYYY
Depends on if you're importing via a .txt file or individually. I've only ever imported individually, so I'm not the best person to ask about batch imports.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:33 PM   #8
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Individually until I at least have a sniff of a clue of how and whom I am going to import into my league. Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 03-13-2018, 02:48 PM   #9
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Spritze will have the final word on this, but I'm not sure his current DB is compatible with OOTP19. If any data fields have been added between OOTP18 and OOTP19, it might make importing difficult if not impossible. Fortunately there is still the in-game MiLB database that has most of the non-MLB guys that you seek. They will have different IDs than the Spritze DB does though, so word to the wise, be sure to use the MiLB Master.csv file to look them up before trying to import them.
They are not neutralized. Their stats are not complete.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:52 PM   #10
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
Individually until I at least have a sniff of a clue of how and whom I am going to import into my league. Any ideas or suggestions?
Here's an example with what we were talking about the other day with Satchel Paige and 1926 as the import year. I did this and he imported fine in my game as a 20 year old. You can see him between Mike Page and Rafael Palmeiro if you look at the list of upcoming draftees. Use the MiLB Master.csv file to get the exact ID number (in this case paige-001ler) and debut year (in this case 1926), and import the player the year before the debut year listed in the MiLB Master.csv file because the draft happens the year before the player debuts.
Attached Images

Last edited by actionjackson; 03-13-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:25 PM   #11
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Quote:
Here's an example with what we were talking about the other day with Satchel Paige and 1926 as the import year. I did this and he imported fine in my game as a 20 year old. You can see him between Mike Page and Rafael Palmeiro if you look at the list of upcoming draftees. Use the MiLB Master.csv file to get the exact ID number (in this case paige-001ler) and debut year (in this case 1926), and import the player the year before the debut year listed in the MiLB Master.csv file because the draft happens the year before the player debuts.
Thank you very much. I was putting in a comma and then the year. I must remember to use MiLB Master file. Now to see if I have to yell at my computer again after trying another import later tonight.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:32 PM   #12
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They are not neutralized. Their stats are not complete.
This is true. I am thinking of making the switch from Neutralized Stats (which I've always played with) to Real Stats with 5-year recalc double weighted for the current year, as I can see the end is nigh for Neutered Stats. I think Spritze is stepping back from OOTP things once OOTP19 is in the can, and I can't see them getting much attention after that. The writing is on the wall I'm afraid.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:54 PM   #13
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

They are still Neutralized up until 2015 I believe, that won't change. I guess.

I need to use Neutralized because of the Negro League players.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:14 PM   #14
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Here's Satchel Paige's Real Pitching Stats. He's got close to 2,500 IP there. That sounds pretty decent to base a player off to me. Now, maybe the Spritze Negro Leaguers end up performing better than their counterparts in the MiLB Database, I don't know, but if you were to use 5-year double weighted recalc I think it might work.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 03-13-2018, 04:34 PM   #15
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

You are probably on to something. I am going to look at several players and do some comparisons, using both databases and real vs neutered.

If I end up using Real Stats with 5-yr-recalc, then I could also use real ballpark factors, real weather factors and maybe even real financials. Although, I have never used financials and have no idea about the settings.

My idea at this point is to start a Random Debut Historical League in 1946, right after the war years.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:41 PM   #16
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You are probably on to something. I am going to look at several players and do some comparisons, using both databases and real vs neutered.

If I end up using Real Stats with 5-yr-recalc, then I could also use real ballpark factors, real weather factors and maybe even real financials. Although, I have never used financials and have no idea about the settings.

My idea at this point is to start a Random Debut Historical League in 1946, right after the war years.
I looked at Louis Santop, and I think you may be on to something. He had 1,654 Real Stats At Bats and 5,587 Neutered Stats At Bats. 1,654 At Bats is not much to work with over a career. Is Spritze going to do a Spritze HS for OOTP19 DB before he steps away? That would probably be the ideal.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:32 PM   #17
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

Josh Gibson way off also...
Old 03-13-2018, 05:49 PM   #18
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Quote:
Spritze will have the final word on this, but I'm not sure his current DB is compatible with OOTP19. It is. If any data fields have been added between OOTP18 and OOTP19, it might make importing difficult if not impossible. Fortunately there is still the in-game MiLB database that has most of the non-MLB guys that you seek. They will have different IDs than the Spritze DB does though, so word to the wise, be sure to use the MiLB Master.csv file to look them up before trying to import them.
The Spritze db still works but Arm Slots and ethnicity do not.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:51 PM   #19
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Quote:

Neutralized through 2017.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:59 PM   #20
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Spritze db contains ONLY MLE's for MLB, MiLB, Negro, Japanese, Korean.

Built in regular DB contains only real stats for MiLB and MLB and Negro (NO Japanese or Korean)

Built in Neutered DB only has neutered stats for MLB players (NO MiLB, Negro, Japanese or Korean)

Reading these posts it appears you may be mixing them up at times.

Last edited by Spritze; 03-13-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Spritze is offline   Reply With Quote