Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support

Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support Do you have a copy of OOTP Baseball 2006? Are you in need of help and assistance in running the game or do you have errors that you need help in resolving? This is your place!

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 05:47 PM   #1
Tony M
Global Moderator

Problems running the game with Vista?

If you have tried running the game as Administrator and turned off DEP and are still having issues starting the game under Windows Vista can you post information in this thread.

Useful information would be

Windows Version (which SP of Vista)
Memory
Resolution

It may also be worth looking at http://www.updatexp.com/0xC0000005.html if you are getting the application exception message.

Last edited by Tony M; 06-04-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
codyg19
Major Leagues

I'm trying to install OOTPX on my Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop. It has a 1.8 Ghz AMD processor and 4 GB of RAM and runs Vista Home Basic, SP1. Resolution is 1280x800. The install went fine, but when I try to open it, I get this message:

"In order to finish initializing, this application must first be run by a user with administrator privileges.
Please contact your system administrator for help.
5-2"

My user profile is an administrator, and I have also right-clicked and "Run as administrator." I have also tried turning off DEP. I have restarted after each change to my computer I have made. Has anyone else seen this message before? If so, how do I fix it? Thanks.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
bleachercreature
Major Leagues

Had the same problem:

Right click the OOTP icon. Click run as administrator.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:08 PM   #4
bleachercreature
Major Leagues

DEP issues

Maybe this link will be helpful to those having DEP issues?

Change Data Execution Prevention settings - Windows Vista Help
Old 06-04-2009, 08:55 PM   #5
AerLingus
Bat Boy

Installer won't run

I have Windows Vista SP1 on my HP Pavilion dv5 laptop. I downloaded the setup and tried to run it, but about 1/3 of the way through the very first screen (with the loading bar), it stops and an error message appears. The title is "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library" and the text says "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information." I hit "OK" and then Windows closes the program, which it says has stopped functioning. I'm trying a new download in case mine was somehow defective, but I don't think it is... any thoughts/suggestions?
Old 06-04-2009, 10:15 PM   #6
AerLingus
Bat Boy

Resolved the above problem. I re-downloaded the game, it installed OK.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:47 PM   #7
codyg19
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleachercreature View Post
Had the same problem:

Right click the OOTP icon. Click run as administrator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleachercreature View Post
Maybe this link will be helpful to those having DEP issues?

Change Data Execution Prevention settings - Windows Vista Help
As per my first post I already tried both of those. I'm still stuck. Thanks though.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:11 PM   #8
Oriole66
Minors (Single A)

Vista problem

Dell Inspiron 1525 Notebook
Vista SP1
Memory 2.00 GB
Resolution 1280x800

I have followed the tips here: Reset DEP, run as administrator. OOTP 10 will not launch.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7jglp/index.html

Last edited by Oriole66; 06-04-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:19 AM   #9
bigwiggle55
Bat Boy

game won't start...

After downloading the game with no issues, I try to double click the icon and literally just nothing happens...any suggestions??
Old 06-05-2009, 01:49 AM   #10
thomamon
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwiggle55 View Post
After downloading the game with no issues, I try to double click the icon and literally just nothing happens...any suggestions??
Have you rebooted? Disapbled firewall or Anti Virus? Disabled DEP? Run as Admin?
Old 06-05-2009, 01:49 AM   #11
thomamon
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyg19 View Post
As per my first post I already tried both of those. I'm still stuck. Thanks though.
Firewall and antivirus?
Old 06-05-2009, 01:50 AM   #12
thomamon
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AerLingus View Post
I have Windows Vista SP1 on my HP Pavilion dv5 laptop. I downloaded the setup and tried to run it, but about 1/3 of the way through the very first screen (with the loading bar), it stops and an error message appears. The title is "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library" and the text says "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information." I hit "OK" and then Windows closes the program, which it says has stopped functioning. I'm trying a new download in case mine was somehow defective, but I don't think it is... any thoughts/suggestions?
Are you up to date with Windows Updates? I would reboot as well.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:40 AM   #13
stlcards
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwiggle55 View Post
I have the exact same problem. I run Vista Home Premium. I tried turning off firewall, antivirus, running as admin. Nothing works. Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:56 AM   #14
TexasLeaguer
Bat Boy

A tale of two laptops...

Laptop #1 (Play laptop)
Many efforts and no success just a quick summary.

HW:Toshiba Vista Ultimate SP2 x64 4 GB RAM res:1280x1024
Can not get program to work at all. Have tried, run as admin, gave myself full rights to the OOTP folder, un-install re-install. tried generic folder name, compatibility modes in XP, DEP off, AV off, Firewall off, UAC off, current drivers on system for all HW and windows update. The faulty section appears to be elicen40.dll. At least that's what the event viewer tells me.

Laptop #2 (Work laptop)
HW:Lenovo Vista Enterprise SP1 x32 4 GB RAM res: 1680x1050

Works like a champ. not an issue at all.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:23 AM   #15
Dan Theman
Hall Of Famer

Just to clarify for those having issues with DEP, which I understand is not the case with some of you:
DEP is a useful security measure, and I wouldn't suggest disabling it entirely. If you're encountering is a DEP issue with elicense (often indicated by a successful install that simply won't start up), then you want to set OOTP -and- elicense as exceptions. You'll notice there's no program called elicense.exe on your PC, so here's what you do:
  • right-click on "Computer" and select "Properties"
  • Select "Advanced system settings"
  • The tab should already be on Advanced, but if not then select that.
  • Under "Performance", click on <Settings>
  • On the next screen, select the "Data Execution Prevention" tab.
  • Choose "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select."
  • Down at the bottom, select <Add...>
  • Navigate to your OOTP folder and pick that .exe file
  • Back under your DEP tab, select <Add...> again
  • Navigate to your C: drive and your Windows folder. In there, you'll find a program called runservice.exe - that's the one for elicense, so pick that.
  • Click <Apply> and then <OK> down at the bottom, and restart your PC.
Following those instructions will stop DEP ever bothering your OOTP game ever again. I hope that helps a bit for someone out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Sullivan
Well ... To be fair, I am going to change the name to "DanSim Baseball"

- Shaun
Old 06-05-2009, 09:45 AM   #16
gte842d
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Theman View Post
Just to clarify for those having issues with DEP, which I understand is not the case with some of you:
DEP is a useful security measure, and I wouldn't suggest disabling it entirely. If you're encountering is a DEP issue with elicense (often indicated by a successful install that simply won't start up), then you want to set OOTP -and- elicense as exceptions. You'll notice there's no program called elicense.exe on your PC, so here's what you do:
  • right-click on "Computer" and select "Properties"
  • Select "Advanced system settings"
  • The tab should already be on Advanced, but if not then select that.
  • Under "Performance", click on <Settings>
  • On the next screen, select the "Data Execution Prevention" tab.
  • Choose "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select."
  • Down at the bottom, select <Add...>
  • Navigate to your OOTP folder and pick that .exe file
  • Back under your DEP tab, select <Add...> again
  • Navigate to your C: drive and your Windows folder. In there, you'll find a program called runservice.exe - that's the one for elicense, so pick that.
  • Click <Apply> and then <OK> down at the bottom, and restart your PC.
Following those instructions will stop DEP ever bothering your OOTP game ever again. I hope that helps a bit for someone out there.

I can't locate runservice.exe .... what folder is it in within the windows folder? thanks
Old 06-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #17
bigwiggle55
Bat Boy

Yeah, I cannot find the runservice file, even after searching for it in Vista...
Old 06-05-2009, 09:55 AM   #18
Dan Theman
Hall Of Famer

It's a file that should be in your root Windows folder after you've installed OOTP, which means you'll very likely have to scroll down past all the folders (on my PC, it has the "generic program" icon, if that helps any). Alternately, use your indexing search for runservice (no .exe needed) and right-click to get the properties which will include the location. You'll still need to drill down to it when picking it as an exception, but at least you'll know you're looking in the right place. Also, when doing the drill-down I would make sure that you've got the "files of type" set as "Executable Files."

If it's not located on your system, it sounds like there was an installation error with the elicense wrapper, in which case you might want to try a reinstall.

Quote:

- Shaun

Last edited by Dan Theman; 06-05-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:56 AM   #19
gte842d
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Theman View Post
It's a file that should be in your root Windows folder after you've installed OOTP, which means you'll very likely have to scroll down past all the folders (on my PC, it has the "generic program" icon, if that helps any). Alternately, use your indexing search for runservice (no .exe needed) and right-click to get the properties which will include the location. You'll still need to drill down to it when picking it as an exception, but at least you'll know you're looking in the right place. Also, when doing the drill-down I would make sure that you've got the "files of type" set as "Executable Files."
its not there. I even ran a search for runservice on my entire C: drive, doesn't exist
Old 06-05-2009, 09:58 AM   #20
Dan Theman
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gte842d View Post
its not there. I even ran a search for runservice on my entire C: drive, doesn't exist
You'll need to do a reinstall, more than likely.

EDIT - and when reinstalling, make sure you run the installation program as an admin (right-click and select run as admin).

Quote:

- Shaun

Last edited by Dan Theman; 06-05-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Closed Thread