Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:57 PM   #1
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Chargers, Raiders propose joint $1.7 billion stadium near LA

Chargers, Raiders propose joint $1.7 billion stadium near LA - CBSSports.com

This is an interesting proposal. So I guess the LA market will go from having zero NFL clubs to two, considering how close Carson is to LA.

If this proposal goes through, it also raises an interesting question about the Athletics. Do the A's now stay in the Coliseum and its simply renovated for baseball or do they continue to look for new digs outside of Oakland?

Last edited by Caporegime; 02-20-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Caporegime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:37 PM   #2
Jason
Hall Of Famer

Everyone seems to want to get out of Oakland! LOL

This would be an interesting situations but I just don't see it happening. No way the NFL would want to give up those markets for TV. They want to add to LA, not detract from the rest of California.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:45 PM   #3
swoboda
All Star Starter

If the Raiders go LA it would improve the A's chances of getting a new ballpark.

The late great Lindsey Nelson
swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:23 PM   #4
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Everyone seems to want to get out of Oakland! LOL

This would be an interesting situations but I just don't see it happening. No way the NFL would want to give up those markets for TV. They want to add to LA, not detract from the rest of California.
But they're not really giving up those markets, are they? With current NFL blackout policies, the new-fangled LA Chargers will still be the only show in town for the Greater-San Diego area and most parts south of Long Beach. How the Raiders TV market will be redefined, however, will be much more interesting.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:38 PM   #5
Tram2Whitaker
All Star Reserve

Am I the only one who questions division rivals playing in the same stadium?
Old 02-21-2015, 08:35 PM   #6
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Ah, yes, the Raiders. Let's refer to them by their more accurate name: the Oakland-Los Angeles-Oakland Raiders. Might they be adding Los Angeles to their name again?
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:01 AM   #7
Goody
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram2Whitaker View Post
There's talk of the Seahawks getting moved (yet again)... this time back to the AFC. I assume that would be because of this.

I don't like the idea at all. I think San Diego should have its own team. If you want to move the Raiders to LA... fine. Two in one stadium is kinda lame whether they are in the same division or not. There's enough cities to go around and the salary cap rules make every team competitive regardless of market economics... and they can already fill the seats as long as its a moderate sized market cause its the NFL and its more popular than other sports and with less games per year.

So give people a local team... the Bay area has the 49'ers, but why leave SD high and dry?

Last edited by Goody; 02-22-2015 at 04:04 AM.
Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:44 PM   #8
kenyan_cheena
Hall Of Famer

Yep, it sounds silly to me.
kenyan_cheena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 02:23 PM   #9
Green & Gold Heart
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoboda View Post
If the Raiders go LA it would improve the A's chances of getting a new ballpark.
Yep, and in Oakland, possibly on the current Coliseum site. San Jose ain't happening and we've known that for awhile.
Green & Gold Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:46 PM   #10
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

If the past is any guide, threatening to move the Chargers is an attempt to get the city of San Diego to pony up the dough for a new stadium. Qualcomm Stadium (née San Diego-Jack Murphy Stadium) is old—it was built in 1967, and its last major renovation was back in 1997.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:31 PM   #11
swoboda
All Star Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green & Gold Heart View Post
Yep, and in Oakland, possibly on the current Coliseum site. San Jose ain't happening and we've known that for awhile.
Would prefer to see an A's park down by Jack London square near the water and near downtown, that would be a sure winner for Oakland and the A's. But GG Heart, I'll take the coliseum site over SJ.anytime.

The late great Lindsey Nelson
swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:00 AM   #12
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What about Clippers and Lakers?
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:58 AM   #13
Tram2Whitaker
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
What about Clippers and Lakers?
Case in point: Lakers tickets (used to at least) cost more than Clippers tickets. There are 6 games between the Lakers and Clippers; 3 at each home stadium, all played at Staples. How do the Clippers have home court when cheap Lakers fans can buy up all the available tickets (because seriously, who owns Clippers season tickets)? So effectively, Clippers lose out on 3 home games to a division rival. Of course, since the NBA is geographically divided, the only solution would be to re-align the Clippers in the Northwest division and put Portland in the Pacific.

Likewise, by having the L.A. Raiders, and L.A. Chargers, the Raiders effectively have an extra home game against the Chargers. It may be a little different in the NFL, because of PCLs, and the Chargers will have to discount those as well, but Raider fans will no doubt come into possession of those tickets anyway (by scalpers, or gameday sales).

That's why the Giants play NFC and the Jets play AFC.

As for San Diego, they can be the new L.A.; a place teams can point to when they want to extort money from their municipalities. San Diego Rams 2020 Y'all!
Old 02-23-2015, 03:06 PM   #14
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's why the Giants play NFC and the Jets play AFC.
Er, no, that's because the Jets were an AFL team and when the NFL absorbed the AFL in 1970 the two leagues' roster of clubs were left intact (other than Baltimore, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh moving to the new AFC to give each conference 13 teams).
Old 02-24-2015, 09:51 AM   #15
Tram2Whitaker
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Er, no, that's because the Jets were an AFL team and when the NFL absorbed the AFL in 1970 the two leagues' roster of clubs were left intact (other than Baltimore, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh moving to the new AFC to give each conference 13 teams).
Yes, but despite re-alignment, they stayed in their respective conferences.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:00 PM   #16
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, but despite re-alignment, they stayed in their respective conferences.
Since the inception of the AFC and NFC in 1970, only two clubs have ever changed conferences: Tampa Bay and Seattle.

When Tampa Bay and Seattle were added in 1976, they were in the AFC and NFC, respectively. For the 1977 season, the clubs switched conferences, with Tampa moving to the NFC and Seattle to the AFC. There they stayed until 2002, when Seattle was moved back to the NFC to make room for the new Houston club in the AFC.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:07 AM   #17
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

It would be mildly annoying to see the team uprooted now that we've *finally* after all these years built up some nice rivalries with the 49ers especially but also the Rams (sorry, Cards, but you people are too nice to be rivals with), but I would be all for any manuever that winds up with the Hawks back in the AFC West, so long as the team booted into the NFC is the Chargers. Even in the years they were going to Super Bowls in the 90s, I feel like that was the weak link of the big bunch of hatred that was the Broncos, Raiders, Chiefs, and Seahawks (or maybe the Hawks were the weak link because of the 2-14 season but shut up about that).

Aesthetically, sure, I'd prefer to see the Chargers stay in San Diego, which is a pretty decent sized city for an NFL team. The Raiders moving back to Oakland is OK by me, as are the Rams (whom, frankly, I am surprised are not in this consortium with the Raiders instead of the Chargers). I think it'd be even better to move just one team to LA for a few years and see how well that works (I feel like the fanbase being split between 2 teams was a big part of why both clubs moved in the mid-90s) but if it takes 2 teams to bring the money needed for a new stadium, so be it I guess.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:26 PM   #18
Tram2Whitaker
All Star Reserve

The Raiders have quite the history in the AFC West, so I think they're safe. The Chargers have to be realigned with the NFC to make this work IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
It would be mildly annoying to see the team uprooted now that we've *finally* after all these years built up some nice rivalries with the 49ers especially but also the Rams (sorry, Cards, but you people are too nice to be rivals with), but I would be all for any manuever that winds up with the Hawks back in the AFC West, so long as the team booted into the NFC is the Chargers. Even in the years they were going to Super Bowls in the 90s, I feel like that was the weak link of the big bunch of hatred that was the Broncos, Raiders, Chiefs, and Seahawks (or maybe the Hawks were the weak link because of the 2-14 season but shut up about that).

Aesthetically, sure, I'd prefer to see the Chargers stay in San Diego, which is a pretty decent sized city for an NFL team. The Raiders moving back to Oakland is OK by me, as are the Rams (whom, frankly, I am surprised are not in this consortium with the Raiders instead of the Chargers). I think it'd be even better to move just one team to LA for a few years and see how well that works (I feel like the fanbase being split between 2 teams was a big part of why both clubs moved in the mid-90s) but if it takes 2 teams to bring the money needed for a new stadium, so be it I guess.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:36 PM   #19
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Since the inception of the AFC and NFC in 1970, only two clubs have ever changed conferences: Tampa Bay and Seattle.

When Tampa Bay and Seattle were added in 1976, they were in the AFC and NFC, respectively. For the 1977 season, the clubs switched conferences, with Tampa moving to the NFC and Seattle to the AFC. There they stayed until 2002, when Seattle was moved back to the NFC to make room for the new Houston club in the AFC.
You can add the Baltimore/Indy Colts who moved to the AFC in 70.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:51 PM   #20
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Also the Steelers and the Browns, who moved from the old NFL into the AFC. The Browns even managed to come in from the All American Football Conference in 1949, where they'd dominated the league and would continue to dominate the NFL in the early 50s. Which is what LGO was saying, I think; the Hawks and Bucs are the only teams *since then* to switch conferences.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote