Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > MLB Manager 2018 > MLB Manager - Suggestions

MLB Manager - Suggestions Please help us to improve the game and post your suggestions / ideas in this forum!

Old 04-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
JeffWard
Minors (Double A)

Perhaps my last OOTP BB purchase as well

Marcus,

Though I much prefer to pass out compliments OOTP BB 14 is another disappointment for the following reasons:

1. The new interface is too dark and is not an improvement. OOTP 14 was fine so if it ain't broke... But that's just the least of my worries.

2. Aside from the pitch to contact option, there's virtually nothing noticeably new between versions 13 and 14. The only major difference is you now have 30 bucks more of my money.

3. I brought this issue up 3 or 4 versions ago. One of the best parts of the game is when an AI team makes you a trade offer. But no matter what the trade difficulty is set at, only about 1 in 100 of those proposals is worth considering.

For example, the Padres just offered the 2013 cubs a 1 star third baseman (James Darnell) for a potential three star shortstop (Ryan Sweeney) and a 4.5 star top prospect (Albert Amora). And that's is one of the AI's better offers!

These trade offers are frequent and absurd which makes the game more aggravating than fun.

4. The AI is brain dead when it comes to building lineups, bringing up minor leaguers, and signing free agents during the regular season. This is another issue I raised 4 versions ago and nothing has improved.

Right now, with a few smart adjustments - signing Brian Wilson, trading for Brandon League and Colby Lewis (a rental), and bringing up Brett Jackson, my 2013 Cubs are 63 and 27. It's not that I'm that great a GM, it's that the AI GM's are terrible. Though its fun to win, it's kind of absurd!

Please don't tell me to join an online league, I don't have the time and I buy computer games for the AI.

5. We all know about bad free agent signings (Barry Zito, Garry Matthews Jr.) but the OOTP general manager AI makes those debacles pale in comparison. They regularly get into ebay-esque bidding wars over two star players who've never had a good season. And they lock 'em in to 10 year contracts rendering that team obsolete for years. The AI has got to be smarter in this regard.

6. Unless they're highly rated from the get go, players have no room for improvement. Of course there are journeymen who will go from team to team barely hanging on. but take Jeff Samardzija.

The various versions of OOTP have rated him at 3 stars, then 1 star, then 2 stars then this year, he's suddenly 3.5 stars. That never happens in an ongoing league.

I've mentioned this before too, in the much earlier OOTP version this kind of mid career improvement was an infrequent, but reasonable possibility. But in OOTP 13 and 14, if you're a 1 star player - that's all you'll ever be.

7. You still can't trade salary. I've brought this up before. When the Cubs traded Carlos Zambrano to Florida, they picked up 13 million of his 15 million dollar salary. You can't do that in OOTP so when teams make their typical ridiculous free agent signings, there's no way for them to get out from under them.

8. This was acknowledged to be a bug some years ago, but especially during the season when no one else is bidding on them, it can take a month for free agents to make up their minds. This can screw up other other personnel moves and it just ain't right.

I don't mean to rain on your parade Marcus, but these items are the difference between a good game and a great game.

Jeff

Last edited by JeffWard; 04-17-2013 at 07:20 PM.
JeffWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:33 AM   #2
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffWard View Post
2. Aside from the pitch to contact option, there's virtually nothing noticeably new between versions 13 and 14. The only major difference is you now have 30 bucks more of my money.
I disagree with a lot of your points, but I'm not really too interested in getting into them. This one though, I can't let pass.

The int complex has been added along with much greater customization ability for controlling player origins, the pitching staffs and bullpen roles have been entirely revamped, control of pinch hitters and pinch runners has been added, the player dev model has completely changed with massive changes to fielding development, the webcast screen has been entirely revamped, away uniforms added, and there's been an option added to have custom database source folders. Not to mention the new MLB rosters.

You really don't consider these options to be "noticeably new"? What new options are you looking for that would be bigger or more important than what's been added?

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 04-17-2013 at 01:35 AM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
shawa666
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
I disagree with a lot of your points, but I'm not really too interested in getting into them. This one though, I can't let pass.

The int complex has been added along with much greater customization ability for controlling player origins, the pitching staffs and bullpen roles have been entirely revamped, control of pinch hitters and pinch runners has been added, the player dev model has completely changed with massive changes to fielding development, the webcast screen has been entirely revamped, away uniforms added, and there's been an option added to have custom database source folders. Not to mention the new MLB rosters.

You really don't consider these options to be "noticeably new"? What new options are you looking for that would be bigger or more important than what's been added?
He's probably one of thoose that only play the MLB quickstart.
shawa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
JeffWard
Minors (Double A)

Ummm! Did you even bother to read my post? I listed eight separate options I'd be interested in. Perhaps you missed them in your headlong effort to leave such an exhilarating reply.

Yes! There were some nice interface additions, but not nearly enough to justify moving from the last version.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Ummm! Did you even bother to read my post? I listed eight separate options I'd be interested in. Perhaps you missed them in your headlong effort to leave such an exhilarating reply.

Yes! There were some nice interface additions, but not nearly enough to justify moving from the last version.
Most of the stuff I listed aren't interface changes, rather major changes to development and player origins.

The int complex is simply massive, it's been needed for a long, long time.

The changes you list, even if needed, are hardly 'noticeably new' features, rather tweaks to existing features.

As stated in both my posts there are a litany of "noticeably new' features.

So overall, I didn't understand your complaint that there isn't enough 'new' stuff, when there actually is and while none of your listed requests would be new, just tweaks to current features.

And I disagree that some of your requests are even needed, f.e. you can trade salary, I've done it often, you just have to give up a little more, like an additional prospect, which is pretty realistic imo.

Also the idea that one star players never improve to become multi star players, is just flat out wrong. They do, all the time. What do you have the talent change randomness set to? If you want more volatility, just change it to a higher number. That's something you can completely control yourself.

Your Cubs season is also clearly an aberration. When I've tested the roster set (over many tests), the Cubs regularly traded prospects for similar or even better players and still usually finish only slightly over or under .500.

You just got 'lucky' so far in that season. It happens, it's not a symptom of something being wrong with either the game or the roster, unless it happens regularly, which it doesn't.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 04-17-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
JeffWard
Minors (Double A)

Why do some people feel that, if you disagree with their version of reality, it somehow diminishes their self-definition? How does the fact that I feel this game isn't worth the upgrade price make it any less fun for you?

1. I'm glad you like it, but The int complex doesn't matter to me. It's not what I buy the game for. As I so clearly stated before, I buy computer games for the AI. Check out HPS Simulations for decent AI.

2. Apparently your narrow definition of "noticeably new" only means interface changes. But mine doesn't! To me it means the AI and general game play. Despite what anyone thinks, no MLB player goes for the extra base when they're down 7 fricken' runs. That's such an easy fix, but it happens all the time in OOTP 14.

3. You can't trade salary! What you describe is generally a worthless workaround. If the receiving team doesn't have the budget room, they can't make the fricken' trade no matter what prospect you might offer. Right now I'd really like to trade Alfonso Soriano and $15 million of his salary for each of the next 2 years, but I can't because I don't have $30 million. But I will next year!

4. You're wrong again on one star players. Especially if you have scouting set off, players almost never improve beyond their initial potential rating. And the thing is - it used to happen in earlier versions. So yes! Go ahead and put the talent setting on a higher volatility, but that doesn't solve the problem because 5 stars player frequently do descend to 2 or 1 stars. So now you've made the game even more unrealistic.

5. As far as the Cubs go I've done it 20 times. Give me the Cleveland Indians or KC Royals with their abysmal budgets and through trades, waivers, and free agents, within 2 years, I'll have them at .675 winning percentage because the other GMs are so brain dead. And that's with trading difficulty set on "hard" and "favor prospects." Yes you can do things like set scouting to wildly inaccurate levels, but, for me, that takes away from the game.

Again, it's the AI that makes the game for me and, despite my frequent suggestions, it hasn't significantly improved in four versions so I might not buy the game again. In fact, if I could return this version I probably would. And I'm convinced OOTP will stay in business despite my lack of patronage.

You certainly assume an awfully lot.

Last edited by JeffWard; 04-17-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
mjj55409
All Star Starter

Quote:
Why do some people feel that, if you disagree with their version of reality, it somehow diminishes their self-definition? How does the fact that I feel this game isn't worth the upgrade price make it any less fun for you?
And why do some people feel that, if a game is not what they enjoy, it is something that needs to be posted on the forums? You feel the AI isn't challenging enough for the way in which you want to play. Great. If you don't want feedback on tweaking things so that you might enjoy it (don't tell me about online leagues!), then I'm not sure why you are posting.

Good bye, and thank you for all the fish.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
JeffWard
Minors (Double A)

Are you really that stupid? I typically avoid using that word on forums, but there's no other that fits.

The title of the forum section is suggestions and that's exactly what I did. There is no other more direct route to the developers. And as it is with most posts in this section, they really don't require feedback.

Might I suggest you take some remedial classes in well...anything!
Old 04-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
js1519
Minors (Triple A)

Why are you complaining in the iOOTP forum about OOTP 14 anyhow? I'm confused
js1519 is offline   Reply With Quote