Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 01-17-2020, 12:51 PM   #161
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Anyone else think person claiming to be Beltran's Niece is more than likely an MLB player?
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:34 PM   #162
Jerry Helper
Major Leagues

Unhappy

I find myself having a strange reaction to this scandal.

On the one hand, I'm an adult who knows how this goes. I lived through the steroid era, I've read about game fixing in the dead ball era. This is a game run by imperfect human beings, cheating scandals are a part of life. And baseball will go on as normal eventually. This won't kill it.

But there's still a part of me that feels disappointed and sad. I have an emotional connection with this sport in a unique way when compared to other sports i follow, and maybe that's the problem. I hate when bad things happen to baseball. So i find myself simultaneously disheartened and saddened, all while being annoyed at myself for not knowing better.

The whole thing is just a bummer. It is a stain on the sport and now we'll have to deal with and hear about this all year instead of just enjoying the best parts of the game.
Jerry Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:53 PM   #163
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Helper View Post
I find myself having a strange reaction to this scandal.

On the one hand, I'm an adult who knows how this goes. I lived through the steroid era, I've read about game fixing in the dead ball era. This is a game run by imperfect human beings, cheating scandals are a part of life. And baseball will go on as normal eventually. This won't kill it.

But there's still a part of me that feels disappointed and sad. I have an emotional connection with this sport in a unique way when compared to other sports i follow, and maybe that's the problem. I hate when bad things happen to baseball. So i find myself simultaneously disheartened and saddened, all while being annoyed at myself for not knowing better.

The whole thing is just a bummer. It is a stain on the sport and now we'll have to deal with and hear about this all year instead of just enjoying the best parts of the game.
My Tigers stink, so at least it will give me some entertainment this year.
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:53 PM   #164
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephasjames View Post
Was immunity given to the players? I haven't read that anywhere. Or are we just assuming that because the players seem to have gotten off scot-free?
I had heard multiple times listening to sports radio that the MLB got players' cooperation by giving them immunity. When I just now googled "astros players immunity" I see stories that indicate definitely that immunity was given, and other stories wonder if it was. So, I guess I don't know...
thehef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:56 PM   #165
swoboda
All Star Starter

And now Jack McDowell says the Tony LaRussa White Sox were big-time cheaters.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-white-sox-80s

The late great Lindsey Nelson
swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 04:01 PM   #166
swoboda
All Star Starter

I have no doubt the Astro stories are true and I have no doubt the Red Sox stories are true.
I'm beginning to believe all the other stories that are popping up as well re: the Yankees the Dodgers and the White Sox.

While I am also saddened , it's a competitive game played by competitive people always looking for an edge.... and integrity is not their top priority.

I'm coming down on the side of don't punish any players , ban all replay video from the clubhouse.

The late great Lindsey Nelson
swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 04:31 PM   #167
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoboda View Post

I find it hard to believe the manager of McGwire & Canseco ever stooped to such tomfoolery. You have besmirched a man of incredible integrity's good name. I say to you, sir, "Good day!".
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:42 PM   #168
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Helper View Post
As a child, I would religiously follow baseball and football. I looked up to and admired the players. I would go out of my way to watch as many games on TV as I could; a Giants or A's game was on almost every day, and I'd watch all NFL games on the weekends.

As an adult, I really could give two ****s. Too many scandals and cheating, I find myself not caring anymore. I probably pay attention to my hemorrhoids more.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:15 PM   #169
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoboda View Post

Tony LaRussa = Great video game and not such a great person.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:54 PM   #170
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

They should ban any tech device on or off the field by a team in sports games. You can use tech devices to obtain information legally up to game time. You need to know what a player is doing and adjust well then isn't that a part of coaching? How many surface tablets would Vince Lombardi or Don Shula need in football?
People complain about steroids but there's no clear answer that it helped players by itself and they still had to hit the ball. So why do we allow all the technology in a sports game if its not for coverage of the game?
I dont think they could completely eliminate it but maybe limit who is allowed to operate cameras? Idk.
Its still a great game despite this setback. I'm not gonna forget the Nationals incredible year to focus on this controversy. There is cheating in almost everything but how mlb handles the players that cheated is a bigger concern. You can ban all of the players and baseball will go on and people will probably have more faith in the game. Do nothing and it will be an even bigger stain on the game.
Where is Kennesaw Mountain Landis when you need him.

Last edited by BaseballMan; 01-17-2020 at 07:58 PM.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:32 PM   #171
neugey
All Star Reserve

So to sum it up there are about 2000 Live iron relief pitchers in PT and now we know we have the Astros and the Red Sox to thank for that.

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:50 PM   #172
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

I mean, the simplest solution would actually be to make cheating mandatory
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:00 PM   #173
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
I find it hard to believe the manager of McGwire & Canseco ever stooped to such tomfoolery. You have besmirched a man of incredible integrity's good name. I say to you, sir, "Good day!".
"hard to believe" isn't proof. Are you open to review of the evidence? If not, you should run for US Senate.
Brad K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:07 PM   #174
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad k View Post
"hard to believe" isn't proof. Are you open to review of the evidence? If not, you should run for us senate.
lol

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 01-17-2020 at 11:09 PM.
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:00 PM   #175
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Wish ESPN would stop referring to Hinch and Cora as two of the brightest minds in baseball when we know what we do now.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:34 PM   #176
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
Wish ESPN would stop referring to Hinch and Cora as two of the brightest minds in baseball when we know what we do now.
Cheating doesn't make people less intelligent. It just means that they made very poor choices... which are not intelligence-based.
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:58 PM   #177
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephasjames View Post
Cheating doesn't make people less intelligent. It just means that they made very poor choices... which are not intelligence-based.
True. But - just like with, say, Lance Armstrong, when the cheating comes to light doesn't it seem reasonable to question just how great or bright they were in the first place?
thehef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:49 AM   #178
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
True. But - just like with, say, Lance Armstrong, when the cheating comes to light doesn't it seem reasonable to question just how great or bright they were in the first place?
You are correct.
I wasnt talking about how smart they were in life but
how great of a baseball mind they are when compared to the managers they beat.
Easy to be a great mind in baseball when
your biggest decision is to buzz or not to buzz.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:04 AM   #179
Zitofan75
All Star Starter

It's not surprising but I too am saddened. Still, take hyper-competitive Type A personalities, shower them with huge sums of money with the promise of tons more and then drop them in a society that often prizes victory at all costs and I start to feel it's amazing that some of them don't cheat.

I don't have an answer but it does hurt to watch.
Zitofan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:16 PM   #180
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

And there's the sheer sociopathy of their complete disregard for how cheating impacts their fellow players. It didn't just win you games. Other guys lost jobs, contract extension value, service time, award bonuses, and general career legacy because of them.

I get that the MLBPA is obligated to protect players being investigated and make sure it's done by the book, but shouldn't they also be trying to protect the 99% of players who didn't cheat? What about their interests?
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote