Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:12 PM   #1
christophermichaels
Minors (Double A)

Need some input on striking out

So, I am not ready to say this is a bug, because I recognize the Royals are not very good. Having said that, in a save that is two days old, I am playing in Manager Mode as the Royals and we have struck out more than 10 times in eleven separate games out of 23 games played.

These are: 10, 10, 19, 13, 15, 11, 13, 10, 11, 16, and 12.

This seems excessive for me. Am I losing my mind?
christophermichaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:17 PM   #2
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Totally possible. So many different numbers to crunch. Even on a good team you might have K guys.

On a not good team. They might not make contact, or walk, or have good k. And going up against better pitchers. Any combination of lots of things can happen.

Its not like your the 27 Yankees.

Plus have seen you how many k's teams #1 and #2 starters are getting these guys are getting like 10ks themselves before 4 relievers come in.

Eflin on the phillies had 10ks the other night in like 5 inning and he is the 3 or 4 starter.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:26 PM   #3
christophermichaels
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
Totally possible. Its not like your the 27 Yankees.
I get it. And I imagine that it's a function of many factors. For the record, I'm up to 12 games out of 24 with 10 or more times K'ed.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:32 AM   #4
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanstephans View Post
I get it. And I imagine that it's a function of many factors. For the record, I'm up to 12 games out of 24 with 10 or more times K'ed.
https://www.teamrankings.com/mlb/sta...eouts-per-game

Current KC actually pretty good at not K-ing early season so far but if you notice half the league is above 8.5 k's per game.

Even 2018 basically the entire league averages 8 k's a game. You have your 2 outliers.

Getting close to 10 I would think pretty normal
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:31 AM   #5
Mat
All Star Reserve

And you are managing. Not sure what decision you are making in game...
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:58 AM   #6
christophermichaels
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post
And you are managing. Not sure what decision you are making in game...
I’m not sure that I’m having that much of an impact. Generally, I tell the batters to take the first pitch. But not always. And then I hit the “space bar” to allow the AB to play out on its own, much as a manager allows his hitters to sort out their own ABs.

I imagine I’m seeing a small sample here and that K’s have simply increases leaguewide (as was mentioned by the other poster) to the point that I’m a bit above average but not wildly so. The truth is I’m 13 - 12 through 25 games. It’s just not attractive baseball.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:25 PM   #7
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanstephans View Post
I’m not sure that I’m having that much of an impact. Generally, I tell the batters to take the first pitch. But not always. And then I hit the “space bar” to allow the AB to play out on its own, much as a manager allows his hitters to sort out their own ABs.

I imagine I’m seeing a small sample here and that K’s have simply increases leaguewide (as was mentioned by the other poster) to the point that I’m a bit above average but not wildly so. The truth is I’m 13 - 12 through 25 games. It’s just not attractive baseball.
What's the point of having them take a pitch? I suspect this is playing a small role, because statistics show that hitters who face an 0-1 count strike out more often than they get a hit. My suspicion is that making every hitter take a pitch is leading to 1-2 more strikeouts per game than you'd see if you just hit space bar to begin with.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:13 PM   #8
christophermichaels
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
What's the point of having them take a pitch? I suspect this is playing a small role, because statistics show that hitters who face an 0-1 count strike out more often than they get a hit. My suspicion is that making every hitter take a pitch is leading to 1-2 more strikeouts per game than you'd see if you just hit space bar to begin with.
I’ve tried it that way too for many games...and it’s no different. In fact, through 33 games, we’ve struck out 352 times. If this wasn’t a Christian Minecraft server, I might have to curse.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:50 PM   #9
Mat
All Star Reserve

that is only slightly above average for modern mlb
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:55 PM   #10
christophermichaels
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post
that is only slightly above average for modern mlb
It’s 10.667 K’s/game for me. Isn’t the current MLB avg like 8.5/game?
Old 04-06-2019, 07:06 AM   #11
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

there's not much you can do to significantly elevate k-rate while managing... that's why the take a pitch exploit works. minimal influence if you wait for 2 strikes to do something.

even 1 years worth of results may not be enouhg, but it will give you an idea. whats the league total for strike outs? is it mor ethan 10-15% away from it? adjust modifier in appropriate amount and opposite direction, if so. trial and error.. 15% may not be an lowe rlimit of all that's possible.. just a guess.

be forgiving... volatilty is normal.

now, if you don't like individual results while maintaining some league-wide average... consider adjusting to change individual player results and ignore what the league-wide stuff is. same methods to adjust -- league total modifiers -- just a ton more volatility to see through on individual results... best i hav efound is focusing on high-water marks and adjust if i see something too crazy...

e.g. if in first 10 years i see 5 guys with 60+ hr seasons. i tone it down. in my leagues i want a 60+hr season occuring a handful of times per 100 years at the very most. i don't care what hte resulting league total and modifer is after that.

(rhetorical, i use static LTM produced from long-term simulations, therefore this sort of thing doesn't happen to me).

probably can't do this in challenge mode?

Last edited by NoOne; 04-06-2019 at 07:09 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote