Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:00 PM   #21
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1787 View Post
The select year function was going to be changed every year to stay at 1984?
What you do in that instance is when you go to set it up you select 1984 once and you will get strategy settings for 1984 across the board. I think I usually add in "Strict rotation, occasionally start highest rested" in the rotation part and switch stolen bases to "normal". Other than that I leave everything else as is. Then you uncheck the "auto-adjust league strategy when advancing to next season" box. Remember that this box appears on both the Stats & AI page and the Historical page. Very important to uncheck both to be sure. Also uncheck the "auto-adjust league totals modifiers for accuracy" box. Remember that this box also appears on both the Stats & AI page and the Historical page, so be sure to get it in both places. You said above that you turn financials off so that's good. That'll stop you from having to reset them after you set these two settings to 1984, which is a good thing.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:55 PM   #22
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

And every year I will double check that 1985 is the correct year selected.

Also, what are your thoughts about injuries and scouting?
Jeff1787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:50 AM   #23
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
What you do in that instance is when you go to set it up you select 1984 once and you will get strategy settings for 1984 across the board. I think I usually add in "Strict rotation, occasionally start highest rested" in the rotation part and switch stolen bases to "normal". Other than that I leave everything else as is. Then you uncheck the "auto-adjust league strategy when advancing to next season" box. Remember that this box appears on both the Stats & AI page and the Historical page. Very important to uncheck both to be sure. Also uncheck the "auto-adjust league totals modifiers for accuracy" box. Remember that this box also appears on both the Stats & AI page and the Historical page, so be sure to get it in both places. You said above that you turn financials off so that's good. That'll stop you from having to reset them after you set these two settings to 1984, which is a good thing.
you have to unselect the box. i have it unselected otherwise my game will jump from 1999 (dont know why it says 2000) to the setting for the 1st league created in my game which is MLB.
Attached Images
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:51 AM   #24
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Low and on. I use Normal for league with full minors.

"Stay Strong"

Old 03-08-2018, 01:05 AM   #25
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
Low and on. I use Normal for league with full minors.
I can see putting injuries to low, instead of no injuries, for more realism. But as far as scouting goes, not sure how that effects the game. The manual doesn't help.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:41 PM   #26
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I can see putting injuries to low, instead of no injuries, for more realism. But as far as scouting goes, not sure how that effects the game. The manual doesn't help.
Fog of war for lesser players that you dont know.I just like having it on.

"Stay Strong"

Old 03-08-2018, 10:19 PM   #27
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'm not the best person to ask about scouting as I turn it off which makes it 100% accurate. I do this because I play as Commish/God/Official Historian and I never take over a team. This allows me to get through more seasons than I would if I were to grapple with all the OCD minutiae that this game allows the user to grapple with.

As for injuries, I use High (Realistic Modern Day). I do this because there's never really a point in random debut historicals where teams will be short of players, and they can always sign a crappy free agent to bridge the gap if they need to. It's my way of making sure as many players get to play as possible without resorting to the Very High injury setting.

Last edited by actionjackson; 03-08-2018 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:03 PM   #28
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

My head is spinning, but, I think I have this correct. When playing Historical, if I want each year to progress as in real life, rather then using one year as a base line i.e. 1984, then I would check these two boxes:
  • Automatically adjust league strategy when advancing to next season
  • Automatically adjust league totals modifiers after each season for accuracy

And under Stats and AI, I would check these two boxes:
  • Automatically adjust league totals modifiers for accuracy

So a total of four boxes need to be checked. That way the Historical Year will advance each year, 1951 to 1952 to 1953 etc.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:12 PM   #29
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My head is spinning, but, I think I have this correct. When playing Historical, if I want each year to progress as in real life, rather then using one year as a base line i.e. 1984, then I would check these two boxes:

So a total of four boxes need to be checked. That way the Historical Year will advance each year, 1951 to 1952 to 1953 etc.
It never hurts to check, but if you have those boxes checked in one place, they should be automatically checked in the other.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:30 PM   #30
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You got it!
Old 03-10-2018, 03:03 AM   #31
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

I have run several seasons over and over again using 1962, random debut. I have tried all kinds of different settings and have settled on these:

Recalc - 3 years - Neutralized Stats
Player Development Settings set to default
Player Evaluation AI Settings set to default (65/20/10/5)

The day before Opening Day I set the year to 1962 and activate the auto-calc modifier.

The offensive statistics are very high. Usually a .400 hitter and someone hitting over 60 HR. Pitching seems to be OK. Also. league ERA and AVE seem OK.

I wonder if I am doing something wrong or I just have to accept the high offensive numbers?

Last edited by Jeff1787; 03-10-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:31 AM   #32
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have run several seasons over and over again using 1962, random debut. I have tried all kinds of different settings and have settled on these:

Recalc - 3 years - Neutralized Stats
Player Development Settings set to default
Player Evaluation AI Settings set to default (65/20/10/5)

The day before Opening Day I set the year to 1962 and activate the auto-calc modifier.

The offensive statistics are very high. Usually a .400 hitter and someone hitting over 60 HR. Pitching seems to be OK. Also. league ERA and AVE seem OK.

I wonder if I am doing something wrong or I just have to accept the high offensive numbers?
Unfortunately, as was discussed to death in the Bug Reports Forum, crazy individual offensive and pitching seasons seem to be the order of the day since OOTP17 arrived. Hopefully OOTP19 will bring things back into balance. So far pstrickert's testing has resulted in numbers that are somewhere between the sweet spot of OOTP16 and the mania of OOTP18. League wide numbers appeared fine in testing I did on OOTP18. Individual numbers were cuckoo bananas though. That's why I do my historical random debut using OOTP16. I really want OOTP19 to resolve this because I want to have access to Lindor, Correa, Seager, Michael Fulmer, Rhys Hoskins, Paul De Jong etc etc etc plus I want the option to watch some of the games play out in 3-D, which appears to be reaching an awesome level if the previews are to be believed.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:10 PM   #33
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

Thanks...I am starting a new dynasty when OOTP 19 comes out. Hopefully, individual numbers will be more realistic.

I have began to set up the new game, tweaking settings etc. I won't have the inaugural draft until I import the game into OOTP 19.

I'm kind of wondering if I should start the game fresh and not do an import. But, I really like the draft pool...
Old 03-10-2018, 05:17 PM   #34
JaBurns
All Star Starter

I also am trying to refine my Random Debut setup in 18. I believe I will start with a new league in 19 with the things that I have been taught and learned from this forum. This along with help and guidance from actionjackson and David Watts has me hooked on this format. Still a couple of things to decide and 8 days to continue experimenting, must remember to save a template for the setup.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:34 PM   #35
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
I also am trying to refine my Random Debut setup in 18. I believe I will start with a new league in 19 with the things that I have been taught and learned from this forum. This along with help and guidance from actionjackson and David Watts has me hooked on this format. Still a couple of things to decide and 8 days to continue experimenting, must remember to save a template for the setup.
I think I can set the game up in about five minutes flat now without using the Historical Creation Wizard, which misses a lot of settings. I've done it so many times over the years, particularly in my early days with OOTP...Start...Stop...Start...Stop...Start...Stop. ..AHHH!!!
Old 03-10-2018, 05:50 PM   #36
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
I think I can set the game up in about five minutes flat now without using the Historical Creation Wizard, which misses a lot of settings. I've done it so many times over the years, particularly in my early days with OOTP...Start...Stop...Start...Stop...Start...Stop. ..AHHH!!!
I'm not that fast..I figure importing a OOTP 18 game should be OK, it always has worked in the past!
Old 03-10-2018, 05:58 PM   #37
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Quote:
I'm not that fast..I figure importing a OOTP 18 game should be OK, it always has worked in the past!
My only concern with importing is the abundance of outliers, or super seasons being generated with 18. That is why I am leaning towards a fresh start but the things and settings I have learned 18. But who am I kidding, I will change my mind thousands of times before I setup in 19.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:19 PM   #38
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I always go for a fresh start...Different strokes I guess.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:47 PM   #39
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

No doubt my OCD will take over and I'll do the same...

I already have a list of randomly selected Negro League players, Japanese League players, etc., ready to be entered into the inaugural draft.

Last edited by Jeff1787; 03-10-2018 at 07:35 PM.