Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP Mods Logos, roster packs, historical databases, OOTP tools, FaceGen files... it's all here!

Old 10-24-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
BMW
Hall Of Famer

Strictly 1800 OOTP Data folder

I have put a zip file of my work so far here: Strictly 1800s Database v1.1.zip

If you're interested in doing a lot of 1800s sims, some of the files may be helpful. However, it's best that you are somewhat versed in modding the database files before you consider using these.

You can see the nations and flags at the very bottom of the post.
THREE MAJOR CAVEATS:
CAVEAT #1
NOTE THAT YOU SHOULD ALWAYS BACK UP ALL FILES FIRST. IT IS BEST TO BACKUP YOUR ENTIRE DATA DIRECTORY.

CAVEAT #2
OOTP CAN ONLY HAVE ONE DATA DIRECTORY. YOU DO NOT WANT TO USE THIS FILE IF YOU PLAN TO CREATE NEW LEAGUES WITH THE DEFAULT DATABASE AND YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO REVERT THE DATA BACK TO THE DEFAULT.

CAVEAT #3
OOTP WILL USE THE ONE INJURIES FILE FOR ALL LEAGUES. YOU MAY SEE THE MODIFIED INJURY NAMES IN EXISTING LEAGUES IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE THIS FILE.
Nation Flags
Added flags for new Nations in nations.txt file. Includes “States As Nations” Mod flags. (http://www.jazzrack.us/mods/ootpmods...%20Nations.ZIP) Credit goes to GoHorns98.
cities.txt
The cities are customized for the nations.txt. This includes "States as Nations" which uses some aggregate census data from 1790-1860. In general, except for large metro areas, the cities are actually counties. They will either look like "Bergen County" or "City of Paterson".

The Counties double up somewhat, as the file will have "City of New York" and "New York County". It's not numerically accurate, but it does have a good consequence in that more players will be born in these populous areas.

Canada is mainly made up from counties around Ontario. Mexico and China use modern cities with 10% of their population.

European cities use modern cities with 10% of their population, and were also roughly designed to correspond to 1800s borders.

It's impossible to get too precise because 1) that would be an awful lot of research and 2) we really get one import of nations.txt and cities.txt and the borders of many central and eastern European nations would change drastically from year to year. The only way to do that accurately would be to model about 30 versions of Prussia and that's just not that worth it. There are some cities that changed names in modern times, and they have their modern names.

Note that this file won't auto-generate pretty city names for teams. I plan to manually name them.
era_ballparks.txt
era_fielding.txt
era_modifiers.txt
era_stats.txt
I tested these files and they didn't seem to recognize pre-1871 years for recalc. So I let them be.

ethnicites.txt
I heavily modified the ethnicites. I removed some Ethnicities to replace them with Historic Caucasian, Historic African, Historic Asian and Historic Hispanic.

The rationale was so that these new types would be homogeneous, so I could provide something more more controllable to FaceGen. 100% Caucasian, African, Asian. Hispanic is a slight mix of Hispanic/Caucasian.

This way I can tailor the racial mix to each US State. Otherwise, assigning US Historic to the "country" of North Carolina would result in some black players, which would look out of place.
financials.txt
I tested this files and they didn't seem to recognize pre-1871 years for recalc. So I let them be.
first_names.txt (also at http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ames-beta.html)
I did some research into names from the US census data for people born from 1800-1920. The result is about 100% additional historical names, and new percentages for each name that already existed.

The ratios do not exactly reflect the census data, as I thought it might cut down on the variation. For instance, according to the census data, 50% of the people in the US had one of the following 19 names: John, William, James, Robert, Charles, Joseph, George, Harry, Edward, Frank, Thomas, Henry, Walter, Richard, Raymond, Lewis, Frederick, Albert or Arthur. If you went up to the man in the street, there was a 1-in-4 chance that his name was John, William, James, Robert or Charles.

So I've scaled down the top of the charts a bit. Roughly 25% will have the Big 19 names, and you now have to go 186 names deep to reach the top 50%. The remaining 1081 comprise the bottom 50%.

The new list includes all names that were in the current Historic first names that ship with the game. Regardless of the frequency that they were given in the shipped file, if they were not included in the census data, they were given a frequency of 1.
injuries.txt
This uses sachels' Historical Injuries file (http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...uries-mod.html)

From sachel:
"I've modified the default injuries.txt file, to fit better with historical leagues. Only injury names and descriptions have changed; durations, and all other categorization and data, remain the same as in the default file.

My intent was to make the injuries sound more like medical reports from the first half of the 20th century. That is, what my conception of early-20th-century medical reports would sound like. I didn't actually compare player injury reports from 75 years ago with those of today. My method was to merely to simplify terms. I modded the injuries on a one-to-one, like-kind basis: if an injury dealt with a stiff knee ("patellar tendinitis"), I kept it a stiff knee ("stiff knee"), but I changed the words to sound plain and old-school.

Here are some examples of my changes: patellar tendinitis now knee stiffness, plantar fasciitis now a swollen foot, shoulder subluxation now dislocated shoulder, conjunctivitis now pink eye, gastroenteritis now stomach flu, thoracic outlet syndrome now pinched nerve, latissimus dorsi strain now strained back."
names.txt
This uses part of Questdog’s OOTP10 Modern Names (http://www.jazzrack.us/mods/ootpmods...odernNames.zip) for some expanded Hispanic names.

It's further modified so it works with the new ethnicities.txt and first_names.txt files.
nations.txt
This includes “States As Nations” Mod (http://www.jazzrack.us/mods/ootpmods...%20Nations.ZIP) by GoHorns98.

I removed states that did not exist prior to 1860. The US was further fleshed out to include official territories prior to their statehood.

The nations were further researched in Europe to get a feel for the vastly different fragmented nations of the era.

Each state and country name includes a year like (1790-1810) where 1790 is the start date and 1810 is the end date. This allows you to easily reference the list and change the Baseball Talent level for the nation when it enters or leaves existence. 1790 was used as the start year even for nations that existed prior to that year, like England, Spain, etc.
nick_names.txt (also at http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...names-txt.html)
The file consists of data from the following sources: Lahman nicknames for players that debuted prior to 1920, some interesting professions from the 1800s, a few bits of hobo slang and a few random things I thought sounded good.

The nicknames were vetted, hopefully, for "Lefty", allusions to towns, a few nicknames that are too closely related with just one player, most allusions to nationality, anything that alluded to a modern things (like cars, planes, chewing gum) and most nicknames that were too derivative of the players actual name.
off_field_injuries.txt (also at http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...uries-txt.html)
Inspired by Satchel's Historical injuries mod, I have created an off-field injuries file that will work well in the early 1800s, mid 1800s and late 1800s. No mentions of Little League, partying at clubs, etc.
team_nick_names.txt
Restricts the auto generated nicknames to just "Athletic Club", "Athletics", "Ball Club", "Baseball Club", "Base Ball Club", "Base-Ball Club", "Bass Ball Club", "Club" and "Sporting Club".

I may change this somewhat later, since the news articles are difficult to read when you have three "Sporting Clubs" in the league. For the most part, the really, really old documented teams (1850s NYC) all have a "nickname" of Base Ball Club.

Their "city" was really the nickname. It would usually refer to a neighborhood, town, borough or nickname. So you had the famous Knickerbocker Base Ball Club, the Empire Base Ball Club, the Gotham Base Ball Club, etc.
weather.txt
No changes yet. It might result in some odd weather.
Attached Images

Last edited by BMW; 08-21-2010 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Updated for v1.1
BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:03 PM   #2
BMW
Hall Of Famer

I have updated with a version 1.1: Strictly 1800s Database v1.1.zip

v1.1 has:
  1. The era files from OOTP11, rather than OOTP10.
  2. It also puts the United States back as a country, along with the states at the time, since not having the United States caused the game to crash when you tried to create a new Historical League. Still, take caution when using this mod.
  3. I added more team nicknames based on some research that I did of common pre-1871 non-region-specific nicknames.