Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 03-12-2019, 06:36 PM   #21
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbycockstrong View Post
I get why people are mad about "tanking" but you cant have it both ways. What about when you are in a league (lets say gold level) and you just randomly happen to get the team whose average overall rating is 95. You have to play them 19 times. How is that fair? Its not really, but thats just the way it goes.

With unlimited spending and no salary/rating cap structure, you will never achieve "fairness". You cant say its ok to buy all you want but then complain with how people play the game if they want to move down a level. With 30 teams in a league, it will never be fair schedule-wise. You play the same teams in your 5 team division, thats about as fair as you will get.

I think "tanking" is kind of ****ty personally, so i dont support tanking - but its hypocritical to say its ok to say its ok to spend $200 and improve your team right at opening day, but then say its not ok if you want to "rebuild"/"tank" to reset your team. Teams do it in real baseball to, so its not "unrealistic".

Also, as for the rating system, that might work to some extent, but not really because you assume all teams at X level will fall within the ranges (they wont). My team in perfect leagues has an average overall rating value of 84, even though Im in second place. Im not tanking or intentionally using low rated players, its just my best team. I assume its way below most of my competition purely by ratings, but its not by effectiveness since im doing better than them. So if there was a system with caps per tier, I would have no wiggle room at all.

Its on online game, and you will always have what is perceived as random dumb stuff occurring because online games are populated by people (who do random dumb stuff). Thats why the best option is to "report" and let the people who manage that sort it out.
Let me ask you, does this look like rebuilding? The dude made the Diamond League playoffs and THEN blew up his team. It's all Iron now including reserves. Also note, I have a team Called the St Paul Fighting Saints that has nothing to do with this team.

Edit: You are 100% right about people doing dumb stuff in general. Sometimes you'll see an Iron with a million dollar starting price.....I can only assume it was a 4 year old trying to be funny.
Attached Images

Last edited by mcdog512; 03-12-2019 at 06:49 PM.
mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:56 PM   #22
bobbycockstrong
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
Let me ask you, does this look like rebuilding? The dude made the Diamond League playoffs and THEN blew up his team. It's all Iron now including reserves. Also note, I have a team Called the St Paul Fighting Saints that has nothing to do with this team.

Edit: You are 100% right about people doing dumb stuff in general. Sometimes you'll see an Iron with a million dollar starting price.....I can only assume it was a 4 year old trying to be funny.
yeah man i dont disagree, i said i think its ****ty. Some people clearly tank. Ive seen guys in my leagues that go like 100 wins one year and 50 the next, and then 100 and then 50 etc - seemingly to move back down so they can have 100 win seasons. I dont know why they do it. Whatever floats their boats. Maybe they want weaker competition for more PP. Who knows.

What im saying is - who are we to say how people can "enjoy" their game. There is no legit "reset" option. You cant delete your team and start over. So some people are bound to take matters into their own hands, for whatever their own personal reasons for doing so are.
bobbycockstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:59 PM   #23
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
yeah man i dont disagree, i said i think its ****ty. Some people clearly tank. Ive seen guys in my leagues that go like 100 wins one year and 50 the next, and then 100 and then 50 etc - seemingly to move back down so they can have 100 win seasons. I dont know why they do it. Whatever floats their boats. Maybe they want weaker competition for more PP. Who knows.

What im saying is - who are we to say how people can "enjoy" their game. There is no legit "reset" option. You cant delete your team and start over. So some people are bound to take matters into their own hands, for whatever their own personal reasons for doing so are.
I do get your point. I guess when their enjoyment of the game unbalances the league and hands titles to others then a line could be drawn. But, it is tough for sure.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:56 PM   #24
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:

It is easy to lose in a legit way that doesn’t make a sham of things and attract attention, so why do it in a way that does?
<Pion> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:59 PM   #25
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:

Wow, the bronze league records are amazing. Wonder if they tried to field an iron team or just let it play on its own without buying players while building up PP? It’s takes effort to lose that way in bronze.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:15 PM   #26
CapeCodCranberry
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Pion> View Post
In a Perfect League where a team is playing 5 silvers, 2 bronze, and 2 irons in there roster and have starting pitchers with 5 silvers and relievers of 2 silvers and the rest bronze.

What makes it look like tanking to me (other than the bronzes and irons at Perfect level)… 21 of their 25 active players have never played an inning for the team prior to this season at Perfect. So all those silvers and bronzes never played in a bronze, silver, gold, or even diamond league. They just look like they were haphazardly promoted (or purchased, I'm guessing promoted) to get take their lumps and drop back down to a lower league. They are scoring 2 runs a game while giving up more than 5.
Alright, this may or may not be directed at me, but the specificity suggests it is. I contemplated just laughing it off, and moving on with my life, but the thought of engaging internet trolls sometimes gets the best of me. So here we go...
I paid $150 for my All Time Red Sox team, with the real $ invested mid to late Gold Season. Now, I had moved immediately from Bronze to Silver to Gold, to only two years in Diamond, before being promoted to Perfect. Since then, my team has gone: 71-91, 68-94, 73-89, 69-93, and finally 80-82. I had read time and time again, the plight of those that spent their way to Perfect, only to realize they were going to be [mostly] mired in mediocrity (and financial regret). I ignored those warnings, and convinced myself that the money was worth the fun of rooting for my team. 6 seasons later, and other than Monday mornings, I dont even look at this team anymore. Good times.
I bring this up, not so much to neccessarily defend myself, but to bring to light my experience that led to this decision - in hopes that it: 1. Helps someone avoid the pitfalls I experienced (and are scattered ad nauseum throughout this forum) and 2. Puts some of these issues back on the table for Dev's, in hopes that this game gets even better for '20.
First, its my team, my time, and my money. What I decide to do with it is my business. Manage your own life.
Second, With the amount of money (and ultimately, talent) Ive invested in this team, I wouldve still expected better than a .445 winning percentage over 5 seasons. Now, I run a FTP team as well - which incidentally, has become tremendously more enjoyable season after season. Between these two teams, I've witnessed my fair share of statistical variance - that I sum up as "the majority of the outcomes of this game are pretty close to pure luck". I would use the NFLs parity as an example, but I think even that has a more linear outcome than this game does at this point. So then, what did my $150 buy me? A difference in .250 AVG vs .195 current, and a 4.42 ERA vs. 5.54 current. So, part of this was an experiment. To see if I was truly buying an advantage, or just some preceived level of joy. For an almost all Silver THEME'd team, Id say they're doing just fine.
Third, competitiveness. As of this writing, my team has given up 10 runs or more 7 times, with a max of 12 runs. My FTP team? 3. I'm not getting blown out, and no one is "raping" PP from me. My $ team averaged 70.2 wins over 5 years, and is on pace for 36.5 this year, with a difference of 33.7. Not insignificant, but inherently not enough to swing things too unevenly one way or another spread out over a whole season. Id say no more or less than your odds of running into and having to play versus "whales" from league to league.
Lastly, what am I doing now? Which also brings us to the question of "if and when you do get 'stuck', how do you get out of it?" Well, Im selling off some of my talent in hopes of acquiring some more "competitive" THEME'd talent - as apparently historical 95's-97's arent good enough. Unfortunately, this is a process that takes time, and considering were in the final two weeks of OOTP '19, well it kinda is what it is at this point, dont'cha think? Oh, and while Im more than capable of buying PP to my hearts content, I certainly dont need the 7k-10k vs 2k-4k difference in PP every season (not that the extra 4k-5k difference per season apparently matters much anyway - considering ~250k PP doesnt...). That said though, going into '20, what are you supposed to do? I can tell you - after dumping significant time and money into this team, that it lost its fun. I understand Im not going to win every season, but for $150 and countless hours, I dont want to lose either. How would you suggest starting over?
ps. If OOTP wants to ban me for this, than by all means. Ill put my time and money back into MLB The Show instead of here.
Just my two cents...
CapeCodCranberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:20 PM   #27
Clavette
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodCranberry View Post
Alright, this may or may not be directed at me, but the specificity suggests it is. I contemplated just laughing it off, and moving on with my life, but the thought of engaging internet trolls sometimes gets the best of me. So here we go...
I paid $150 for my All Time Red Sox team, with the real $ invested mid to late Gold Season. Now, I had moved immediately from Bronze to Silver to Gold, to only two years in Diamond, before being promoted to Perfect. Since then, my team has gone: 71-91, 68-94, 73-89, 69-93, and finally 80-82. I had read time and time again, the plight of those that spent their way to Perfect, only to realize they were going to be [mostly] mired in mediocrity (and financial regret). I ignored those warnings, and convinced myself that the money was worth the fun of rooting for my team. 6 seasons later, and other than Monday mornings, I dont even look at this team anymore. Good times.
I bring this up, not so much to neccessarily defend myself, but to bring to light my experience that led to this decision - in hopes that it: 1. Helps someone avoid the pitfalls I experienced (and are scattered ad nauseum throughout this forum) and 2. Puts some of these issues back on the table for Dev's, in hopes that this game gets even better for '20.
First, its my team, my time, and my money. What I decide to do with it is my business. Manage your own life.
Second, With the amount of money (and ultimately, talent) Ive invested in this team, I wouldve still expected better than a .445 winning percentage over 5 seasons. Now, I run a FTP team as well - which incidentally, has become tremendously more enjoyable season after season. Between these two teams, I've witnessed my fair share of statistical variance - that I sum up as "the majority of the outcomes of this game are pretty close to pure luck". I would use the NFLs parity as an example, but I think even that has a more linear outcome than this game does at this point. So then, what did my $150 buy me? A difference in .250 AVG vs .195 current, and a 4.42 ERA vs. 5.54 current. So, part of this was an experiment. To see if I was truly buying an advantage, or just some preceived level of joy. For an almost all Silver THEME'd team, Id say they're doing just fine.
Third, competitiveness. As of this writing, my team has given up 10 runs or more 7 times, with a max of 12 runs. My FTP team? 3. I'm not getting blown out, and no one is "raping" PP from me. My $ team averaged 70.2 wins over 5 years, and is on pace for 36.5 this year, with a difference of 33.7. Not insignificant, but inherently not enough to swing things too unevenly one way or another spread out over a whole season. Id say no more or less than your odds of running into and having to play versus "whales" from league to league.
Lastly, what am I doing now? Which also brings us to the question of "if and when you do get 'stuck', how do you get out of it?" Well, Im selling off some of my talent in hopes of acquiring some more "competitive" THEME'd talent - as apparently historical 95's-97's arent good enough. Unfortunately, this is a process that takes time, and considering were in the final two weeks of OOTP '19, well it kinda is what it is at this point, dont'cha think? Oh, and while Im more than capable of buying PP to my hearts content, I certainly dont need the 7k-10k vs 2k-4k difference in PP every season (not that the extra 4k-5k difference per season apparently matters much anyway - considering ~250k PP doesnt...). That said though, going into '20, what are you supposed to do? I can tell you - after dumping significant time and money into this team, that it lost its fun. I understand Im not going to win every season, but for $150 and countless hours, I dont want to lose either. How would you suggest starting over?
ps. If OOTP wants to ban me for this, than by all means. Ill put my time and money back into MLB The Show instead of here.
Just my two cents...
This is more than two cents...
Clavette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:19 AM   #28
PhysicsTeacher
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Let me ask you, does this look like rebuilding? The dude made the Diamond League playoffs and THEN blew up his team. It's all Iron now including reserves.
My son and I each have teams in this league. I'm in the same conference, as is your team, so I get to play them maybe six times. My son's team is in the other conference; he plays them twice. Teams in the same division as this guy get a bonanza of not just PP, but an inflated record that gives them a huge advantage to 1) qualify for a WC spot and 2) achieve best record as a division winner to hold home team advantage throughout the playoffs.

I reported them as soon as I noticed them, but tankers should be banned for life, IMHO.
PhysicsTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:08 AM   #29
Kushiel
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodCranberry View Post
Just my two cents...
No matter how you spin it, you are violating the rules. Poor decisions are your fault not the other players. I am sorry you cannot or will not understand the effect your poor decisions have on the OOTP community when you tank a team. It seems that you just want to go back down and feast on weaker teams and be the big boy on the block. With a $150 investment you should be playing competitively in Perfect. If you are not it is on you not on us or the Devs. You state that it is your money, your time and your team. It is not your team and you spent the money so it is now theirs too. OOTP even furnishes you a place to spend your time. The team, your players, and the game all belong to OOTP, not you. You play a team that they own in a game that they own. A warning to fix your team immediately should be issued and a ban if you refuse. I am not trying to be an ass but when your decisions adversely effect others you should pay for those decisions, not everybody else.

My suggestion for starting over is to play your other team if this one is no fun. OOTP 20 is about to start, you will get a do-over then too.

Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:04 AM   #30
CapeCodCranberry
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushiel View Post
No matter how you spin it, you are violating the rules. Poor decisions are your fault not the other players. I am sorry you cannot or will not understand the effect your poor decisions have on the OOTP community when you tank a team. It seems that you just want to go back down and feast on weaker teams and be the big boy on the block. With a $150 investment you should be playing competitively in Perfect. If you are not it is on you not on us or the Devs. You state that it is your money, your time and your team. It is not your team and you spent the money so it is now theirs too. OOTP even furnishes you a place to spend your time. The team, your players, and the game all belong to OOTP, not you. You play a team that they own in a game that they own. A warning to fix your team immediately should be issued and a ban if you refuse. I am not trying to be an ass but when your decisions adversely effect others you should pay for those decisions, not everybody else.

My suggestion for starting over is to play your other team if this one is no fun. OOTP 20 is about to start, you will get a do-over then too.
Again, how do you suggest "I fix it?" Dont I have a right to sell cards on my team? Half of them are sold. As far as "starting over is to play your other team", essentially I am. Didnt you read the post? Also, you fail to mention the other side of the coin...

Quote:
I get why people are mad about "tanking" but you cant have it both ways. What about when you are in a league (lets say gold level) and you just randomly happen to get the team whose average overall rating is 95. You have to play them 19 times. How is that fair? Its not really, but thats just the way it goes.

With unlimited spending and no salary/rating cap structure, you will never achieve "fairness". You cant say its ok to buy all you want but then complain with how people play the game if they want to move down a level. With 30 teams in a league, it will never be fair schedule-wise. You play the same teams in your 5 team division, thats about as fair as you will get.

I think "tanking" is kind of ****ty personally, so i dont support tanking - but its hypocritical to say its ok to spend $200 and improve your team right at opening day, but then say its not ok if you want to "rebuild"/"tank" to reset your team. Teams do it in real baseball to, so its not "unrealistic".
My reply wasnt an admission of guilt. It was an explanation of action. If I wanted to tank, I wouldve loaded up my team with out of position Iron's. Again, the issue thats underlying this - looking for a solution - is being swept under the rug by keyboard warriors...
CapeCodCranberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:54 AM   #31
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

I think we're going to have to let the OOTP staff decide this. I understand both sides, and what's missing in the game is the option to "rebuild". I don't know if my earlier suggestion would work or not - but there should be a way for an owner to rebuild - and without that option, there's always going to be a question of "how much is too much?".

HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:01 AM   #32
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

the crux of the issue imo is that under the current structure there really is no reward for moving up like in similar games.

Having an average team for a level is the exact same gameplay experience at every level. You can pay 30K FP for a 96 rated player who gets 3 WAR at diamond, or pay 300 FP for a 76 rated player who gets 3 WAR at bronze and its the same experience during the week. It's not like FIFA where you actually get to play with your new flashy players, the gameplay itself is different as you improve your ultimate team, and you get increased coin/card rewards at higher levels of performance. In perfect team the player is just the stats they produce. I dont know the solution or even if other people consider it an issue but thats how it feels to me thinking about PT 20. Tournaments do seem like a promising alternative mode of play.

Last edited by dkgo; 03-14-2019 at 11:06 AM.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:13 AM   #33
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
the crux of the issue imo is that under the current structure there really is no reward for moving up like in similar games.

Having an average team for a level is the exact same gameplay experience at every level. You can pay 30K FP for a 96 rated player who gets 3 WAR at diamond, or pay 300 FP for a 76 rated player who gets 3 WAR at bronze and its the same experience during the week. It's not like FIFA where you actually get to play with your new flashy players, the gameplay itself is different as you improve your ultimate team, and you get increased coin/card rewards at higher levels of performance. In perfect team the player is just the stats they produce. I dont know the solution or even if other people consider it an issue but thats how it feels to me thinking about PT 20. Tournaments do seem like a promising alternative mode of play.
I do believe tournaments will give everyone a chance to earn more points as well as pick up some unique cards - that will help those teams mired in "averageness". At the same time however, I think the option to rebuild should be there in some form. When I made my suggestion, I simply put a limit on how quickly you could "sell off" players - making a rebuild process a multi-season experience - which it should be.

HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:21 AM   #34
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post

The discussion of this before resulted in the following thinking...

The problem with increasing awards for higher levels is that there are many who already complain about the rich getting richer since as it stands now, those who "have" are going to earn more PP naturally through their teams performance which widens the gap between those who spend up front and those who don't. If the points increase with each level, they will be getting the increased benefit the same as others you hope to help, and yet even more so. The gap increases, prices in the AH most likely go even further out of sight for some of the best players, and the problem remains the same.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:31 AM   #35
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBaker View Post
… I simply put a limit on how quickly you could "sell off" players - making a rebuild process a multi-season experience - which it should be.
People don't seem to mind this. Though it might break the TOS (intentionally losing), it is at least done in a way that does not upset the balance of the league.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:42 AM   #36
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I don't know why everyone thinks that tournaments will make a difference. The same people that are dominating you in your league will be dominating those tournaments too. The people who think money is the key should realize that the money will chase all of those key tournament cards, restricting their availability and driving their price out of reach. If tournaments offer very desirable cards, why would the whales ignore them? If Len Barker (for example) is important in a silver tourney, they will just buy every Barker card that comes on the market to keep them away from their competitors.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:47 AM   #37
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I don't know why everyone thinks that tournaments will make a difference. The same people that are dominating you in your league will be dominating those tournaments too. The people who think money is the key should realize that the money will chase all of those key tournament cards, restricting their availability and driving their price out of reach. If tournaments offer very desirable cards, why would the whales ignore them? If Len Barker (for example) is important in a silver tourney, they will just buy every Barker card that comes on the market to keep them away from their competitors.
I suppose that is possible. They can't prevent pack pulls but could corner the market as you suggest.....a depressing thought.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:48 AM   #38
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

I play this game so I can play with the baseball cards of my youth. I don't really care about current LIVE cards, so I use as few as possible.

I was in the original 'up swing' of not so good teams swept into Gold with the first wave of population--Sooners, so to speak. My first team was pretty ordinary. However since it has been around as long as any team, I have accumulated many interesting old-timer 60's-rated cards that I'd like to see play but aren't really good enough for a GOLD league. But I WANT to see Snuffy Stirnweiss play. So in he goes, as does George Wright and several others. And I go down a notch, perhaps two.

Honestly, I don't give a crap how this affects anyone else. I play for fun and memories. I want to play those whom I want to be in the lineup. I'm disappointed they don't do better, but only a lower league will bring that.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:52 AM   #39
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Agreed. My concern also is that the AH prices will be much higher and players much more scarce with OOTP20 as people will be less likely to sell the players that aren't good enough to play on their normal team but may be useful for possible tournaments. We may end up in a game where luck in drawing packs or spending premium amounts in AH is the way to build the team. I hope I"m wrong.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:53 AM   #40
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Pion> View Post
Agreed. My concern also is that the AH prices will be much higher and players much more scarce with OOTP20 as people will be less likely to sell the players that aren't good enough to play on their normal team but may be useful for possible tournaments. We may end up in a game where luck in drawing packs or spending premium amounts in AH is the way to build the team. I hope I"m wrong.
Plus the collection achievements/rewards ...
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote