Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations

Old 05-21-2018, 05:16 PM   #1
Isedelyod
Hall Of Famer

How do I change the name sets???

Okay, so I am sure it is laid out here in black and white, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

I just created a three tier Australian relegation. However, I am very disgruntled with the lack of variation in names when creating fictional players from Australia. Can't imagine a team would have 7 Dominics and 5 Sebs or Jai's.

How do I go about changing the naming conventions? I see there a lots of different name mods but I can not seem to figure out how to go about changing them. I would be happy with replacing the Australian names with American or Canadian names.

Please help a poor uni modder who sucks at everything else!

My older mods-
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=28c2b...3&action=Share

My newer mods (updated logos)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Fg?usp=sharing
Isedelyod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:29 PM   #2
Lionsault
Minors (Rookie Ball)

The default Australian nameset isn't great and is extremely limited - you're equally likely to get an Australian player named Lindsay as you are a player named James.

There are two ways to do what you want to do - either change the Australian nameset, or change the world_default file to have Australia use another nameset.

I think the right way to do this is to change the Australian nameset, since Australia is going to have different demographics than the U.S. or UK.

Here's the default U.S. nameset edited with the Australian ethnicity.

Open your first_names.txt file (after backing up your current version), and delete every name that ends in ,28. They should be after "Yashpal,1,27" and before "Adil,1,29". Once you've done that, paste the attached list of names into the file and save.

That should be enough for what you want to do, but if you truly want the game to represent the Australian population, you should do this:

Open up the world_default.xml (after backing up your existing version) in a text editor like Notepad and CTRL+F for "ethnicity id="28"". As you can see, the default file has 100% of Australian players as white, which isn't reflective of the country's demographics. Change the ethnicity makeup to something more like "african = "50" asian="100" east_indian="100" caucasian="750" hispanic ="0"" to better reflect the ethnic makeup of Australia. Save.

If you want to get even fancier, you could use the in-game nation editor in commissioner mode to add namesets to pull from since Australia is a nation of immigrants.

If you're using it for an existing game, in-game, go to Game -> Game Settings -> Database -> Database Tools -> Re-import name & ethnicity database. That should make it so any new Australian players generated are generated according to your new parameters.
Attached Files
File Type: txt first_names lsedelyod.txt (14.2 KB, 186 views)

Last edited by Lionsault; 05-30-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Lionsault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:09 PM   #3
Bub13
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionsault View Post
If you're using it for an existing game, in-game, go to Game -> Game Settings -> Database -> Database Tools -> Re-import name & ethnicity database. That should make it so any new Australian players generated are generated according to your new parameters.
Related question: if I'm playing a game I've migrated from earlier versions (started in 14, fyi), do I need to do this to get the more accurate namesets that have been added to later versions? For ex., my draft produces of lot of guys named Bob, Ed, and Jim (and Dustin/Dusty), but almost no names that are more common today, like Ryan, Jake, etc etc.
Bub13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:43 PM   #4
Lionsault
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub13 View Post
Related question: if I'm playing a game I've migrated from earlier versions (started in 14, fyi), do I need to do this to get the more accurate namesets that have been added to later versions? For ex., my draft produces of lot of guys named Bob, Ed, and Jim (and Dustin/Dusty), but almost no names that are more common today, like Ryan, Jake, etc etc.
I actually don't know the answer to this, but I would assume so. Backup your game, do it, and then sim until the next draft and see what you get?

Also, just realized I never attached the text file in my original post - edited my post.

Last edited by Lionsault; 05-30-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Lionsault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 06:31 PM   #5
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub13 View Post
It will pull from the OOTP19 version not a past one, but it wouldn't hurt to reimport at another time if you've made any updates or to make updates to reimport for changes to the ethnicities file over the years, etc.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote