Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:48 PM   #1
thehef
Hall Of Famer

historical transactions file questions

Wondering if anyone knows the answer to these questions:

1. Can you change the historical transactions file once you've started your game? For example, I frequently use the file from OOTP v 12 because it does not prematurely retire players. So if I started a game in, say, 1918, with the v 12 file, and have simmed several seasons, can I simply change the historical_transactions.odb file in the stats folder, and then the game will start reading from that (at some point when it uploads annually)? Or, once you start a game, are you locked into that odb file?

2. Other than the fact that the v 12 file would not include transactions from 2011 season on, are there significant differences between it and the v 17 file?
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:53 PM   #2
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post

1. Can you change the historical transactions file once you've started your game? For example, I frequently use the file from OOTP v 12 because it does not prematurely retire players. So if I started a game in, say, 1918, with the v 12 file, and have simmed several seasons, can I simply change the historical_transactions.odb file in the stats folder, and then the game will start reading from that (at some point when it uploads annually)? Or, once you start a game, are you locked into that odb file?

2. Other than the fact that the v 12 file would not include transactions from 2011 season on, are there significant differences between it and the v 17 file?
Not to hijack your thread, but what do you mean by prematurely retire players? I just started a real transaction replay(1919) last night using OOTP16, so you have me intrigued.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 03:02 PM   #3
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Not to hijack your thread, but what do you mean by prematurely retire players? I just started a real transaction replay(1919) last night using OOTP16, so you have me intrigued.
No worries. The first link gives an overview of the issue. The others maybe add some detail:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...e-problem.html

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post3610903

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post3610902
Old 12-01-2016, 07:47 PM   #4
M's rule
All Star Reserve

Quote:

hef,

I'm the person responsible for the historical transactions file. To the best of my knowledge:

1. Yes, you can change out the transactions odb and have the game use a different file. The game might read the new file automatically, but to be sure you can uncheck the transactions option and then re-select it, which will cause the game to read from the file just as if you were starting a new league.

2. The procedure for maintaining the file has remained the same, so I would say there are no significant differences. Depending on what you mean by significant, I guess.

Feel free to PM me if I can help in some other way.
M's rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:21 PM   #5
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Thanks. The answer to #1 is what I expected, so that's good.

Re question #2, I guess what I'm asking is if the v17 file includes a lot more of the fill-in-the-gap txns that would apply to the little-known players of yore. For example, let's say a player had a cup o' coffee with Brooklyn in 1945. Then for several years he toiled in the PCL, and then in 1952 he had a brief stint with the Red Sox. Retrosheet may not have either the transaction where he left Brooklyn or the one where he signed with Boston (nor the ones between 1945 and 1952 where he may signed with other MLB organizations but was never called up). The txn file, however, would probably fill in the gap by having Brooklyn release him on 1/1/46, and then might have him signed by Boston on 1/1/52 (at least that's how believe this works)... So, given that, I'm wondering if the v17 file might be
more-complete in that respect, compared to the v12 file... Hopefully that makes sense.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:37 PM   #6
M's rule
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Thanks. The answer to #1 is what I expected, so that's good.

Re question #2, I guess what I'm asking is if the v17 file includes a lot more of the fill-in-the-gap txns that would apply to the little-known players of yore. For example, let's say a player had a cup o' coffee with Brooklyn in 1945. Then for several years he toiled in the PCL, and then in 1952 he had a brief stint with the Red Sox. Retrosheet may not have either the transaction where he left Brooklyn or the one where he signed with Boston (nor the ones between 1945 and 1952 where he may signed with other MLB organizations but was never called up). The txn file, however, would probably fill in the gap by having Brooklyn release him on 1/1/46, and then might have him signed by Boston on 1/1/52 (at least that's how believe this works)... So, given that, I'm wondering if the v17 file might be
more-complete in that respect, compared to the v12 file... Hopefully that makes sense.
I think I understand.

Although I haven't made a systematic effort to address all issues of this sort, I have dealt with it from time to time if I happen to come across a player that needs this sort of "fixing."

The reason for taking this approach is to guarantee that a player doesn't appear in a game during a season when he didn't actually play. One of the goals of the transactions file is to replicate actual player usage as much as possible, so that (in conjunction with real lineups), you can get a pretty good simulation of how a team used its roster throughout the season.

Let me ask something: From the posts you pointed us to, it seems as though you're using real transactions in combination with the reserve roster, and injuries are enabled too. Those two features are disabled when you create a league using real transactions, and if you manipulate them, I don't know what kinds of situations doing that could create. How do you get these aspects of the game to play well with each other? Do you use real transactions along with real lineups, or without?
M's rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:11 PM   #7
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M's rule View Post
The reason for taking this approach is to guarantee that a player doesn't appear in a game during a season when he didn't actually play.
Isn't this in direct contrast to the ability to not use (by unchecking) the Miss Seasons According to History box? For example, you may not want Ted Williams, etc., to miss the WWII seasons, or Tommy John to miss the entire 1975 season.

Along those lines I don't think the txn file should have a retirement date for, for example, Sandy Koufax. Otherwise, what's the point of unchecking the Retire Accdg to History box?

Quote:
Let me ask something: From the posts you pointed us to, it seems as though you're using real transactions in combination with the reserve roster, and injuries are enabled too. Those two features are disabled when you create a league using real transactions, and if you manipulate them, I don't know what kinds of situations doing that could create. How do you get these aspects of the game to play well with each other? Do you use real transactions along with real lineups, or without?
I've never used real lineups. I do use real txns with reserve rosters and injuries on. Other than occasionally having a situation where IRL a team acquired a player to replace an injured player, and then in my game the team acquires the player but doesn't need really need him, I don't have problems, other than the ones identified above.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:04 PM   #8
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I have always used retire according to history but if you unchecked it as in the example of Sandy Koufax then I thought it would just use development from his retirement year for the rest of his simulated career.
That is to say if you had retirement on at the start of his career and then unchecked it. I think it would basically develop him with a more
What if rather than his actual career from wherever you made the switch.

Last edited by BaseballMan; 12-03-2016 at 09:06 PM.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 02:22 AM   #9
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
I have always used retire according to history but if you unchecked it as in the example of Sandy Koufax then I thought it would just use development from his retirement year for the rest of his simulated career.
Right. I've had Koufax in one sim remain an elite starter for 3 or 4 years past his real-life retirement date, and then he spent the next 10 years (until 1980!! - until he was 45 years old - it could happen ) as solid reliever.

But you don't get that with a historical transactions file that forces him - regardless of whether you check Retire Accdg to History or not - to retire as he did in real life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
That is to say if you had retirement on at the start of his career and then unchecked it. I think it would basically develop him with a more What if rather than his actual career from wherever you made the switch.
Yep, that's what it does if you use the OOTP v12 historical txns file.

In addition, this "feature" in the historical txns file serves the purpose of draining your minor leagues or reserve roster of serviceable call-ups who - while they may not have been actual major-leaguers during a particular season - would be much more realistic than having no option, or Joe Unknown.

Last edited by thehef; 12-04-2016 at 02:54 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 12-04-2016, 11:10 AM   #10
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think I understand.

Although I haven't made a systematic effort to address all issues of this sort, I have dealt with it from time to time if I happen to come across a player that needs this sort of "fixing."

The reason for taking this approach is to guarantee that a player doesn't appear in a game during a season when he didn't actually play. One of the goals of the transactions file is to replicate actual player usage as much as possible, so that (in conjunction with real lineups), you can get a pretty good simulation of how a team used its roster throughout the season.

Off topic, but since you are the historical transaction guy, I thought I would ask. Any chance you can talk Markus into creating a separate injury file that limits injuries to no longer than a week or maybe 2 to be used with historical transaction leagues? I know we can edit the injury file, but I tend to play all types of leagues, so editing the file isn't really an option.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 02:53 PM   #11
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Off topic, but since you are the historical transaction guy, I thought I would ask. Any chance you can talk Markus into creating a separate injury file that limits injuries to no longer than a week or maybe 2 to be used with historical transaction leagues? I know we can edit the injury file, but I tend to play all types of leagues, so editing the file isn't really an option.
If I'm understanding, the reason the bold part above applies is because you want to be able to select, say, a short injuries only option for one game, and a normal injuries option for another, rather than having to swap out an edited injury file when you change from one game to another?

We currently have these choices for injury frequency:
- very low
- low
- normal (OOTP classic)
- high (realistic modern day
- very high

Perhaps the suggestion should be to also have a maximum injury length option that would include:
- two weeks
- 1 month
- 3 months
- season-ending
- career-ending (OOTP classic)

Or something like that...

Last edited by thehef; 12-04-2016 at 04:47 PM. Reason: additions