Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:29 PM   #1
pizzacutter
Bat Boy

Importing Historical Minor Leaguers

I'm trying to re-create a season that never happened. After the strike in 1994 canceled the World Series, it lasted through the winter and into the spring. By Spring Training in 1995, the sides hadn't yet settled, and teams began creating squads of replacement players.

The teams were often a ragtag combination of minor leaguers who were willing to cross the picket line, former fringe major leaguers looking for one more shot at glory, and even guys who had been in affiliated ball a few years earlier, but by '95 were playing in indie ball or... just working at a factory or selling insurance or whatever it was.

I have a list of the replacement players and I've started a game file in the 1995 season. For players who were in the minors in 1995, the game auto generates profiles for them and I can draft them onto the correct team.

For players who made the majors at some point, I can use the "import historical player" function to bring the player into the draft pool, and even make him the "correct" age. I'm sure the program is laughing at me for bringing back Brian Brady, an OF/1B who got into two games for the Angels in 1989, and washed out of affiliated ball after 1990, rather than say importing Babe Ruth, but it works.

But for players who never played in MLB, I'm running into a problem. For example, Joey Aragon was a middle infielder who played in the Twins system from 1984-1988, but he topped out at AA. In 1995, he apparently answered the call to come back to try to make the replacement squad.

I actually started a game in 1988 and checked for Aragon and he is shown in the Twins system, so he's in the database somewhere. Aragon's minor league ID is aragon001joe, but when I go to the import player function, and it asks for the ID that I want to import, I'm only able to type in aragon001j.

I tried creating a text file with the text

aragon001joe, 1995

The program says that the import was successful, but Aragon isn't showing up in the player pool. (I tried asking for the 1988 version of Aragon as well. No dice.) Maybe no one figured that anyone would ever ask for a minor leaguer who had washed out of the game 7 years earlier.

I'm a relative newbie to the game and I'd appreciate any help.
pizzacutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:58 AM   #2
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Importing Minor league players does not work (yet).

If he only played in the minors and you have the game set to NOT delete players who never made the majors he would be on your retired players list.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:45 PM   #3
pizzacutter
Bat Boy

Since I'm starting the game in 1995, would Aragon (who "retired" in 1988) be in the retired players list? I looked there and didn't see him, but I've been wrong before. Or would the game not bother creating him?
Old 11-03-2016, 12:48 PM   #4
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

You would need to start with the earliest year all the wanted players were in and sim until 1995.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:06 AM   #5
sloanzone
Minors (Rookie Ball)

1995 replacement players

I am in the process of trying to do this. I think I may have figured out a work-around for not being able to move historical minor players around, although it will be time-consuming.

The problem becomes players who aren't in the game, which are a scant few. Has anyone ever found a reliable OOTP player ratings creator based on real-life stats?
sloanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:55 PM   #6
pizzacutter
Bat Boy

Still having problems with this one. I tried starting in 1988, and made sure to uncheck the delete players who didn't make the majors box. Aragon usually disappears by 1995.

Would it work for me if I artificially moved Aragon and others like him to MLB at the outset of each season so the game remembers them?
Old 11-07-2016, 10:51 PM   #7
thehef
Hall Of Famer

I don't know if this speaks directly do any problems pizzacutter or sloanzone may be having, but it may be helpful to use a historical transactions file from OOTP version 12. It will result in fewer retirements. More about the reasons for this, etc., can be found here: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post4050652.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:04 AM   #8
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Retired players are still in the game. Just unretire them?
Old 11-08-2016, 02:04 PM   #9
pizzacutter
Bat Boy

They aren't showing up when I go to the master player list within the game and click the box for "show retired." Not entirely sure why.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:23 PM   #10
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

As long as you have the game set to not delete players they will be there unless they are not.

In my test Joey Aragon shows up 1984-1988.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:58 PM   #11
pizzacutter
Bat Boy

The problem is that I need to get him to 1995. I'm starting the game in '88, I have it set to not delete players.

Is it the fact that in 1993, the Marlins and Rockies join up (auto-expand?)
Old 11-10-2016, 01:32 AM   #12
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

In my test he is retired not deleted.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:31 PM   #13
thehef
Hall Of Famer

This seems as good a thread as any to bring this up...

I'm trying to understand the logic to when players are imported using historical minors. Here are three examples:

-Harry Lake debuted IRL in 1910 & kicked around in the low minors for a few years, then apparently missed the 1917 thru 1919 seasons; he reached the International League in 1922 and stayed there on various teams through 1929, after which he apparently retired (never made the majors). In my sim, which started with the 1918 season, he didn't debut until 1927 w Baltimore in the Int'l League, the first year the Int'l League appears in OOTP.

-Dewey Metivier debuted IRL w Jersey City of the IL in 1921, then played MLB w Clev in 1922-24. In OOTP, he debuts as a free agent in 1921.

-George Earnshaw, debuted IRL w Baltimore of the IL in 1924, then makes MLB w the Philly A's in 1928. In OOTP, he has yet to debut as of 1927. Presumably he'll debut in OOTP in 1928?

Shouldn't Lake have debuted in my sim in 1922? (And debuted earlier, had I started my sim earlier?)
Why does Metivier debut in his actual pro debut year, but Earnshaw and Lake do not?

Also, can I manually import the minor-league Earnshaw now (in 1927)? If I do, will that result in two Earnshaws at some point (perhaps in 1928, assuming that's when he will import automatically)? And... if it does result in two Earnshaw's, can I delete the MLB Earnshaw because the first Earhshaw would be rated to - in all likelihood - develop as a major-leaguer?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by thehef; 12-06-2016 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:38 PM   #14
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

AFAIK the first year a player plays in a minor league that has at least one affiliated team is his debut year.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:59 PM   #15
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
AFAIK the first year a player plays in a minor league that has at least one affiliated team is his debut year.
That would make sense. However, if that's the rule, it didn't apply in the examples of above of Metivier & Earnshaw, who should've debuted in '22 (with Cleveland) and '27 (with Baltimore in the Int'L Lg, it's first year in OOTP), respectively.

I'm guessing your reply in the other thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
Yes as I am unclarified as to the rules used to decide who imports and when in the OOTP minors...
... pretty much covers it. I'll chalk it up to first-year quirks, and assume these things will improve over time.

Last edited by thehef; 12-06-2016 at 09:30 PM. Reason: fixed unclearness