Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:53 PM   #41
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Hey folks,

it's this time of the year again. Development on OOTP 18 has started already, and this thread is intended to get us an overview about what kind of changes to the interface you would like to see in OOTP 18. For this, I'd like to ask a few questions:

1) Did you like the OOTP 17 color scheme and use of team colors. If not, what could be improved?
2) How about the interface layout, is the upper area (info & navigation) easy to use and understand?
3) What interface quirks would you like to see fixed / improved?
4) Any feature ideas that relate to the interface which you'd like to see implemented (i.e. more hotkey support)?
5) Which skin did you use in OOTP 17? Would you like to see an alteration to our usual default / dark / classic skin themes?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Markus
1. color schemes worked well for me.

2. Layout was fine for me too

3. I'm sure there are some but nothing annoys me enough that I can come up with it right now

4. Please put the ball park factors in the opening screen when you go to play a game. It was there for a version long ago (maybe 9 or 10?) and was removed in the first patch. Would be nice to see how the park plays at a glance which could influence how one sets their lineup.

On the tab that shows how a batter hit against a pitcher two things. First could we make the columns sortable? Second add base on balls to the table?

5. I used dark and really liked the v17 version.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:47 PM   #42
hillm2ca
Minors (Triple A)

I don't know if this was mentioned anywhere else or not, but I think it would be cool to have the option to re-use the play-by-play skins from previous versions of OOTP. I believe that it was OOTP '13 that utilized my favorite skin, but I even like some of the play by play skins from OOTP 10 and 11. Anyway, just a suggestion.
hillm2ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:11 PM   #43
DreamTeams
Hall Of Famer

Please make it so that the play by play box in broadcast mode (custom configured) acts more like a windows screen so it can be pushed or pulled/stretched so it fits perfectly under the ballpark image instead of having to overlay it, which takes away valuable real-estate and some times cuts off the catcher photo. Also, try to insure that none of the play by play words are cut off in custom configure node no matter the box size chosen.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:21 PM   #44
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Quote:
You can accomplish this already by right-clicking your mouse while in the player screen.
Holy Crap! Why'd you keep this secret for so long! The quality of my life just went up by about 13%!!
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:25 PM   #45
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You can accomplish this already by right-clicking your mouse while in the player screen.
LOL it never occurred to me that people didn't know this. I mean no disrespect. Seriously it has never come up in a thread until now to my knowledge.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:29 PM   #46
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
LOL it never occurred to me that people didn't know this. I mean no disrespect. Seriously it has never come up in a thread until now to my knowledge.
I know. Same here

It's second nature to me now.

I do it in every game I play other than OOTP and it rarely does what I want it to anywhere else, but I've just been conditioned by OOTP so much that I do it anyway, even when it's useless

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:42 PM   #47
tgreitsma
Minors (Double A)

Not sure if this is an "interface" thing, but I would love to see an option to include retired players in the 'sortable stats' section of your league. That way, comparisons between various eras would be easier.
tgreitsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:21 PM   #48
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

For the classic skin in OOTP 17, I felt the need to create a custom top_background.png that went well with the other wood grains of the skin but also allowed logos and player pics to stand out better. Dark colored logos especially. For pics, this was even more important in that I was playing historically, with sepia and black and white player pics. The default top_background.png was too dark for this purpose and the ballpark crowd scene in it did not help.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:52 AM   #49
kq76
Global Moderator

1) I wish we could have an option for a consistent color (regardless of the team) for the header. Most of the colors are fine, but some I'd rather not see so much of. Maybe more importantly, I think it'd be better from a marketing standpoint if screenshots were more uniform and thereby more recognizeable ("oh, that must be OOTP17!", not "huh, what's that program with all those weird colors?"). I do like some color change depending on the team, but I think the header should stay the same.

2) I still think the upper area wastes a lot of space. I'll admit that the schedule widget is an interesting idea, but how many people really want it? I almost never pay attention to it. And there's a tonne of unused space to the right of the team name.

What you could do is: put the team's record to the right of the team name, get rid of the widget (or at least make it hideable) or make it shorter, and have the tab bars start to the right of the team logos but higher up. That way you'd still have room for the extra large logos and you'd get more screen space for what people are actually interested in when they go to each screen.

I hesitate to say it because it's so different from what we're used to probably very few will want to even consider it, but I'd love to see what the game would look like if we actually removed the league/team logo from the header and instead added a vertically short OOTP18 graphic to the top left, again moved up the tab bars, maybe did away with the team name and record in the header, but put the league or team logo and the team name and record somewhere in the top part of the screen bodies when appropriate. The header would be maybe half the size (I think of the tab bars as being part of the header), which would result in a tonne more screen space for the data you're interested in.

Whatever you do, don't try moving the menu into the left column again (I don't remember when, but I do remember this was once experimented with and it scared the hell out of me). Having a short top header plus a wide body really is best, especially when you want to look at tables of data. For long text, sure, it's best to break it up into columns (think newspaper design theory), but considering that a big part of this game is analyzing data, the wider the body the better.

I do think the widget idea could be further explored, but if anything I'd say try to make a team screen that is full of widgets. It'd be like those personalized home pages that the major websites used to have where you could select exactly what you wanted on your page. I don't think widgets should be forced onto us wasting space when we don't really want them though.

3) I don't get the point of the teams submenu in the small team menu when you get the same menu by clicking on the big team name. It's just another waste of space.

I'd still like to see the "Game" menu be renamed the world or universe menu as they're more descriptive and less confusing when you're trying to tell someone what to click.

I can't think of which ones they were at the moment, but there have been a number of screens in the game that I've tried to get to from finding them in the menu, but I haven't been able to find them, which is because they're not in the menus (you can only get to them from other screens). I think it'd be good if someone: 1) made a list of absolutely all the screens in the game, 2) checked to make sure they were in the menu somewhere, 3) asked themselves if they were in the most appropriate menu, and 4) asked themselves whether they should be higher or lower in the menu. This reminds me of the recent thread where a number of people said they didn't know the newspaper feature even existed when it's been in the game since OOTP12! What other features do people not know about simply because they're difficult to find?

4) I'd still like a customizeable toolbar where we could decide what shortcuts to put on it.

Last edited by kq76; 10-01-2016 at 04:54 AM.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:29 AM   #50
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

1) In a 1 league 2 divisions setup, I'd like to see the finalists labeled on the league history screen the way it only does with 2 leagues.

2) Draft Summary breakdown by team similar to FHM Showing the Pick by Pick but include the basic stats. Helps show the number of great picks and busts by each team.
2005 Arizona Diamondbacks Picks in the MLB June Amateur Draft | Baseball-Reference.com

3) Current League Draft History screens - ability to combine pitchers and batters to one view to show a complete list in order they were drafted.

Last edited by dave1927p; 10-01-2016 at 11:31 AM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:35 AM   #51
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Maybe making team/profile header pages glossy?
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 12:33 PM   #52
adamj
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
2) I still think the upper area wastes a lot of space. I'll admit that the schedule widget is an interesting idea, but how many people really want it? I almost never pay attention to it. And there's a tonne of unused space to the right of the team name.
Since I play out most of my games, I absolutely love the schedule widget in the upper right for two reasons.

1. I can quickly see who are the next few teams/pitchers I'll be facing. If I'm working around a day-to-day injury, for example, and I see the next few opponents will be RHP, I don't need to worry about adjusting my starting lineup against lefties.

2. And perhaps more importantly (for me) is the ability to click on the PLAY button directly in the widget. This avoids the need to open the play drop-down menu, where in the past I would sometimes accidentally click "Finish Today" when I meant to click "Play Game."
adamj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 02:03 PM   #53
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Personal Views:

1) Please, please, please, let us export and import views from earlier versions. This annoys me every new version.
2) Please use and make the same views available everywhere.
3) Please allow us to sort views in whatever order we want them

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 10-01-2016, 04:50 PM   #54
injury log
Hall Of Famer

Just about making stats and ratings views more usable:
  • in player Profile views, do something to make Major League stat lines look different from minor league ones, make the minor league lines a slightly lighter shade or something else. Same in the Batting Stats and Pitching Stats tabs. It's too difficult to quickly get the info you want (usually MLB performance data) from those stat lines, especially when a guy has changed teams a lot, because you constantly need to reference the 'League' column.
  • stop defaulting to 'All Levels Combined' when you switch to the Batting Stats or Pitching Stats tabs, when you're looking at a Major League player. If I'm signing a 30 year old FA, I don't want to see what he did in A-ball as a 20 year old. I want to see what he's done in the Majors recently.
  • abandon the "more is more" philosophy used in a lot of the stats and ratings displays. "More" is often less, if it makes a screen unreadable. Trying to cram all the batting stats and all the pitching stats into a single view during the Amateur Draft, for example, makes that screen almost unusable. I can't even see the lead digit in the ERA column. Same for the ratings display view for International Amateur FAs.
  • related: prioritize information on spreadsheet views. If you go to your pitching staff, and choose the Pitching Potential view, that's an example of a view done well - all the key ratings (Stuff/Move/Ctl) are together near to the player names. The less important info (Stamina, G/F, Hold Runners) is shunted off to the right. That's how it should be. The Batting Ratings view, on the other hand, is confusing - too many columns you rarely care about are in the middle of the display (two different Bunting ratings), and the platoon columns are very hard to make any sense of. For new users in particular, the screen should prioritize what's important - maybe some people care about AvoidK, but that's boiled into the Contact rating already. Putting it off to the right would make clear it's not important to consider it separately from the core ratings - CON/GAP/POW/EYE/SPD/STL. The Batting Stats view is even worse, I'd bet most users never look at a third of the columns in that view. Those who do can customize, I'd rather have a default I can read.
  • When I'm making a lineup vs LHP, what I want to see is how well all my batters will do against LHP in all their ratings, and in a view where it's very easy to compare players with each other. I want checkboxes at the top of the screen: vs all P, vs RHP, vs LHP. If I choose vs LHP, say, I want to see all my players' ratings vs LHP, and all their stats only vs LHP. It should be easy for any user to do that, even those unaware of the view customization, because platoon strategy is one of the most important strategies available to a real life manager. And I want to access that info with one click, not by going through submenus to find a custom view.
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:53 PM   #55
BKL
All Star Reserve

Ability to Move Questions Windows that Pop Up in Game

I mentioned this as a suggestion for OOTP17, but it never got implemented. When playing out a game, sometimes a window will pop up asking if you want the runner to advance to third or home, etc. However, that window most of the time will hide the player in question and his ratings (speed, stealing). It would be nice to be able to move that window so you can then assess the player's skill level as well as the arm of the defender.
BKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:00 PM   #56
dewelar
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
1) Did you like the OOTP 17 color scheme and use of team colors.
This was a definite improvement over 16. I like having the team colors limited to the banners.

Quote:
3) What interface quirks would you like to see fixed / improved?
I know I've said this elsewhere, but having the ability to choose actual font sizes rather than having just three choices (which on my monitor are nigh indistinguishable and painfully small) would be most welcome. Also, the ability to adjust column widths in any and all views, but especially player/personnel lists, would be good. I like to have a fair number of columns in my views, but would prefer to have them all on one page. Not being able to shrink the column size of, say, the Stamina column means I have less room for other ones.

Quote:
5) Which skin did you use in OOTP 17? Would you like to see an alteration to our usual default / dark / classic skin themes?
I swap between them occasionally to keep my eyes from getting tired, but I probably use the dark skin the most because it's easiest for me to read. Still, more choices never hurt!
dewelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:09 PM   #57
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

One thing I would love as a historical player/random debut is the option to hide the "REAL" stat line on a players info card. The key word there is option, because I know lots of folks really like it being there. I do at times as well, but more often than not I would rather it not be there.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:08 PM   #58
zappa1
All Star Starter

Skins

I would like the option to set up a certain skin for different leagues. Say I have 6 different leagues going. I could set the 1st league up for classic skin. The 2nd for dark skin and so on and so forth. Then when you load the league you want to play, the skin you set for it loads as well.
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:11 PM   #59
zappa1
All Star Starter

pitch type

No biggie here, but I would like to see the pitch type on the scoreboard right next to the last pitch speed.
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:36 PM   #60
BKL
All Star Reserve

More Skins

It would be cool to have more options for skins.
BKL is offline   Reply With Quote