Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:56 PM   #1
hillm2ca
Minors (Triple A)

Holy Sid Fernandez!

Over the last few years playing OOTP, I have played dozens of historical franchises between the years of 1988-1990 and I have noticed that Sid Fernandez is always the most dominant pitcher in baseball (In this sim, I am playing as the 1990 Montreal Expos so, unfortunately, he is not on my team). However, in real life, he had a career high of 16 wins in 1986 (I think) and, despite having a few years where he had a good ERA, did not really produce overly impressive win totals. I cannot say for sure, but is it possible that someone on the OOTP team was a diehard Sid Fernandez fan and tweaked his numbers just a little bit? Has anyone else noticed this?
Do not get me wrong, Sid deserves props for having a decent career but I do not think he would qualify as a dominant pitcher during this era of baseball. But in OOTP, he is incredible!
Attached Images

Last edited by hillm2ca; 09-26-2016 at 08:57 PM.
hillm2ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:12 PM   #2
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Hmm. Interesting.

The historical ratings come totally from the stats, not from any specific OOTP folks opinions. There's no hand-rating of historical players whatsoever going on. So any biases are irrelevant.

It's possible Sid is getting overrated, but if so it's not because someone loves him personally, but perhaps because OOTP's engine may somewhat favor the specific type of pitcher he is, high K but high BB as well.

That being said, just looking at the stats you've posted it seems hard to see anyone with that profile actually being the best pitcher in a given league over a muti-year period. Obviously his 1990 is extraordinary but his previous years match up fairly well with his real life performances.

As a a comp here's rl Sid as opposed to your version, looking at WAR:

1985: 3.8 (rl) - 4.1 (you)
1986: 2.6 - 5.2
1987: 1.5 - 2.9
1988: 3.0 - 4.2
1989: 3.1 - 4.0
1990: 2.3 - 8.4

Obviously the only real outlier is 1990. He's been consistently better in game, but not by a crazy amount in any given year except for 1990.

That's somewhat mitigated though by his great 1992 irl, where you haven't reached yet and his 6.0 WAR.

So this mostly seems to me to be well within the bounds of expected variance.

He's just a bit better for you in any given year than irl, but not by a totally crazy amount either.

Actually if you just look at the basic component stats, they're remarkably similar to his rl stats. The K's BB's etc are almost exactly accurate.

What's different and makes your Sid is better in hits allowed stats, and that's more likely to be affected by the Mets D or even just random BABIP luck in your game than by anything specific to Sid himself.

TLDR: He looks almost exactly like the real life Sid, just that he was playing in front of a better D or had better batted ball luck.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 09-28-2016 at 10:38 PM.
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:33 PM   #3
hillm2ca
Minors (Triple A)

Thanks for the post! I forgot to mention in my previous post that I started the sim in 1990, so Fernandez's posted stats before 1990 are his real life stats. However, I have played several sims between 1987-1990 and Fernandez is always the most dominating pitcher in baseball which I thought unusual. Your explanation regarding why he may be performing the way he has makes sense and his in-game ratings are pretty impressive to warrant his numbers.
hillm2ca is offline   Reply With Quote