Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 10-02-2014, 09:02 PM   #1
korme
Minors (Single A)

Managers Still Have No Respect For Themselves

How many years in now and this still happens?

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:23 PM   #2
pgjocki
All Star Starter

Maybe he loves the game but wanted less stress
Old 10-03-2014, 10:33 AM   #3
korme
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgjocki View Post
Yeah, maybe they all do. Great thought.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #4
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgjocki View Post
or wanted a new challenge to rebuild a team
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
tejdog1
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl jason View Post
or wanted a new challenge to rebuild a team
As the bench coach?
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #6
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejdog1 View Post
As the bench coach?
sure... he still can have input in the layout of the team (you can click 'ask bench coach for lineups/etc'). And from the looks of those records, the Rhubarbs and Gryphons need some help
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:07 PM   #7
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Let's not make excuses for OOTP. It's better to be honest so that we can continue to improve the game. This needs fixed.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #8
RchW
Hall Of Famer

What? That life isn't fair?

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:50 PM   #9
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Who replaced him with the Fighting Scots?
Old 10-04-2014, 10:04 PM   #10
korme
Minors (Single A)

It's not about who replaced him, I get it, coaches leave on top all the time. But it's like if Bruce Bochy left the Giants, and then became the bench coach for the Indians. He would never do that. Certain managers hit a prestige status where they wouldn't take any job but as the manager, the guy. And yes, maybe once in a blue moon it could happen. But this is literally every manager in OOTP.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:09 PM   #11
ra7c7er
All Star Starter

I think the issue with the game is that their is to many FA managers and often younger cheaper managers have the same coaching levels as the older more expensive guys (just like players). So when the AI decides to let a manager go the AI has a reason for it. Just like when a player trades or lets a player go. It's the same thing.

Outside of that if their aren't enough coaching jobs then obviously that guy is going to take whatever job is available the game doesn't fire coaches mid contract just because a better coach is available. So because he was available as a manager and he is a good one he took a job with a lesser team. Now maybe the game should have given him the most high profile job with the best team but eh that doesn't always happen in RL either.

I don't find any problem with the way the game treats good managers. I find flaws in the entire personnel system. To many FA personnel to start, to much one and done (get a demanding owner and he turns over the GM and coach nearly every year sometimes even when teams make the playoffs), lack of coach progression in leagues with minors, etc.

The way I do FA personnel is I delete everyone except the top 5 overall in each category (counting GM, manager, and bench coach as the same) at the start of the first season. That way instead of nearly 50 or more "coaches" you only have between 20-25 with 10 of those specialized to trainers and scouts. It seems to eliminate a lot of the strange turnover. My usual "world" has nearly 50 teams if I were playing a larger or small "world" I would adjust the number of FA personnel to reflect that.
ra7c7er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:01 PM   #12
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7c7er View Post
The way I do FA personnel is I delete everyone except the top 5 overall in each category (counting GM, manager, and bench coach as the same) at the start of the first season. That way instead of nearly 50 or more "coaches" you only have between 20-25 with 10 of those specialized to trainers and scouts. It seems to eliminate a lot of the strange turnover. My usual "world" has nearly 50 teams if I were playing a larger or small "world" I would adjust the number of FA personnel to reflect that.
OOTP should have a check when it sees a certain amount of available personnel, to stop creating new ones...irritates me to no end when I have 33 available Managers,Hitting Coaches and Pitching coaches and it creates 9 bench coaches. Create trainers instead

and while we are at it...get rid of the bench coach title and use managers who are strong at teaching fielding, high priority Bench coach candidates.

That way when I retire Art Fletcher or Don Zimmer, I can make them weak in pitching and hitting, but great at fielding and Bench coach will be their most likely destination.
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:08 PM   #13
ChiefWahoo
Minors (Double A)

In my opinion, managers need an overhaul. The great ones should be able to be inducted into the Hall of Fame, and their impacts on their teams should be more obvious. They should have some sort of personality system along the lines of their players. As of right now, managers feel greatly and unfortunately unattended to. Thanks Korme, for starting this thread!
ChiefWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:09 PM   #14
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefWahoo View Post
In my opinion, managers need an overhaul. The great ones should be able to be inducted into the Hall of Fame, and their impacts on their teams should be more obvious. They should have some sort of personality system along the lines of their players. As of right now, managers feel greatly and unfortunately unattended to. Thanks Korme, for starting this thread!
How do you know a manager is great until they have success? Are you suggesting that a manager with a good team courtesy of the GM should get artificially boosted by OOTP because he has a good team? That would destroy realism for me. Maybe a more detailed explanation of what a manager actually does vs what players do would help me understand.

Before such things are put into the game I'd like to see some objective evidence to support it. I don't think, for example, that Ned Yost is the second best manager in real baseball. John Farrell wasn't the best in 2013 and is not likely the worst in 2014.

I get the idea but it has to be more than pixie dust.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 11-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #15
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
OOTP is catered to the current Sabermatician MLB fan. It increases with each version. In modern MLB most "esxperts" state that all good managers are determined by who uses statistical analysis the best.

For most of MLB that wasn't the case, managers were vital to the success of a franchise, they were assistant GMs, Scouting directors, shrinks and disciplinarian plus managed the game using tactics.

I don't see OOTP actually going backwards to appease us historical simmers as we are a small % of the cash flow.

But HOF for all personnel should be done, as well as being able to retire or unretire coaches
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:09 PM   #16
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
OOTP is catered to the current Sabermatician MLB fan. It increases with each version. In modern MLB most "esxperts" state that all good managers are determined by who uses statistical analysis the best.
I'm not seeing that at all from OOTP. I'm seeing personality and chemistry and storylines and so on. That's what the majority of posts on the boards seem to be about.

Bruce Bochy is almost the universal pick amongst experts as being the best manager in baseball. I don't see him as a "stat head" type, unless Travis Ishikawa has some stats I don't know about. Mike Scioscia Terry Francona are similarly lauded for their tactical sense. I'm sure they all use stats but I'm trying to figure out what managers you see being put up on a pedestal for their use of stats. What experts are you referring to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
For most of MLB that wasn't the case, managers were vital to the success of a franchise, they were assistant GMs, Scouting directors, shrinks and disciplinarian plus managed the game using tactics.

I don't see OOTP actually going backwards to appease us historical simmers as we are a small % of the cash flow.
Not getting this. The AI managers use tactics, not always well, in my OOTP games based on the baseball era the game is played. What specifically would you change? I'm certainly out there stumping for in game issues to be addressed instead of stories so anything you can give me would help.

The personality part of managers is not my thing so I can't offer anything helpful.

RichW

Old 11-07-2014, 10:34 AM   #17
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

To the OP, in all fairness, Don Zimmer did almost this very thing.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:07 PM   #18
GamerGramp
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Hah! I absolutely agree.

Anyone remember "Sweet Lou" Pinella's amazing rants? Priceless.
GamerGramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:57 PM   #19
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marlin View Post
To the OP, in all fairness, Don Zimmer did almost this very thing.
far and few between. In OOTP it's far too common. Better and more realistic staff development curves is desperately needed.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:48 AM   #20
metsguy234
Minors (Triple A)

Another nitpicky thing with regards to managers, can we get the game to adequately reflect the following:

1) Right now, if the selected Manager of the Year retires at the end of the year, or leaves the team because his contract is up, the award is given to the new manager instead. This is wrong.

2) Right now, if you replace your manager mid-season with another member of your coaching staff, the new manager's history will make it look like they managed the entire season for your team. This is also wrong.
metsguy234 is offline   Reply With Quote