Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2010, 08:25 AM   #1
clamel
All Star Starter

Schools.txt file ????

I created some College and Feeder Leagues and hoped that the school.txt file could make names that really was correct.

BUT NO.

Both HS and College was created in full fantasy...

This was an extra work since I hoped to edit this file and getting the schools I wanted filled in with correct states, cities and such.
Then I could just edit league structure and move them around to the "correct" conferences/divisions.

WHAT IS school.txt file really do. The first 0 or 1 should be if it´s a HS or College, so what did I miss ????

I don´t like funny names like Anchorage HS Nuts. The only correct is they are playing in Anchorage Alaska.
I can only find Nuts in the team-nickname file.
clamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
Muzamba
Hall Of Famer

Sorry for the inconvenience. I realize the current setup is a bit confusing.

The schools db isn't used to populate feeder leagues. (That's something we're hoping to implement for OOTP 12, but that's yet to be officially determined.)

For now, the schools.txt file is simply used to assign real high schools and colleges to players in the amateur draft pool when feeders are disabled. In other words, if you don't use feeders in your league, players in the ammy draft will be assigned one of the schools from the db. If you do have a feeder league(s) enabled, fictional schools will be generated and your draft-eligible players will be assigned to these schools instead.

The schools db is a pretty decent reference, however, when manually setting up your feeder leagues.

Hope this clarified things and sorry again for the confusion.
Muzamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #3
clamel
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzamba View Post
Sorry for the inconvenience. I realize the current setup is a bit confusing.

The schools db isn't used to populate feeder leagues. (That's something we're hoping to implement for OOTP 12, but that's yet to be officially determined.)

For now, the schools.txt file is simply used to assign real high schools and colleges to players in the amateur draft pool when feeders are disabled. In other words, if you don't use feeders in your league, players in the ammy draft will be assigned one of the schools from the db. If you do have a feeder league(s) enabled, fictional schools will be generated and your draft-eligible players will be assigned to these schools instead.

The schools db is a pretty decent reference, however, when manually setting up your feeder leagues.

Hope this clarified things and sorry again for the confusion.

It clarify things 100%, and I do hope the issue in creating those Colleges and High Schools from the school.txt file.
Getting it almost correct will then demand a HUUUGE man-hour work.
The school-file do seam to have all the info in craeting very complicated College feeder leagues. If NCAA , NAIA junior college and what level and what conference they play in.
All the settings for a program to just import it....

Thanks
clamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:26 AM   #4
iggyhood
Minors (Single A)

Has anybody tried adding additional countries to the school database?

I am trying to work on a Canadian League and would like the draft eligible players to come from genuine Canadian Colleges/secondary schools (without having to set up feeder leagues so the game size is kept down) so that drafted Canadian players come from local schools in the same way US players come from genuine US schools in non-feeder play

Am playing with the Schools file - still not sure what the frequency level equates to - but wondered if anyone else had tried anything similar?
iggyhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:18 AM   #5
Muzamba
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyhood View Post
Has anybody tried adding additional countries to the school database?

I am trying to work on a Canadian League and would like the draft eligible players to come from genuine Canadian Colleges/secondary schools (without having to set up feeder leagues so the game size is kept down) so that drafted Canadian players come from local schools in the same way US players come from genuine US schools in non-feeder play

Am playing with the Schools file - still not sure what the frequency level equates to - but wondered if anyone else had tried anything similar?
It's actually very easy to do.

1. As always, back up your schools.txt file. (In this case, simply make a copy.)

2. Change the extension of your new schools file from .txt to .csv and open the file in Excel (or another spreadsheet editor.)

3. Add the extra schools you'd like to include at the end of the database in Column B (school_name).

4. Identify whether the school is a college or a high school by adding a 1 for college or a 0 for high school in Column A (school_type).

5. Put the name of the city in which the school is located into Column C (city_name) and the abbreviation for the province in Column D (region_name). Be sure that the city you enter appears in the cities.txt file. If it doesn't, you'll have to enter the next closest city that does.

6. Place the Nation_ID in Column E, which should be 36, assuming you haven't changed your nations.txt file.

7. Enter the latitude and longitude in Columns F and G, respectively. Be sure that the lat/long coordinates you enter match those found in the cities.txt file.

8. For Competition_Level (Column H), you'll want to give you school a rating between 1 and 5. If you're leaving the American schools and want the levels to be realistic, you'll probably want to give all your schools a 1. However, if you're JUST using Canadian schools, you may give them ratings relative to one another. (For ideas on this, compare the ratings of the US schools.)

9. Here's how Frequency (Column I) works: Schools that have a frequency of 1 produce the least amount of draft-caliber players. Schools with a frequency of 5 are 5x more likely to produce a player that goes into the draft. And a school with a frequency of 50 is 50x more likely. So use this to gauge the relative number of players you want to come from each school per draft.

(The last 3 fields - association, conference, and nickname - aren't required.)

10. Save your edits and change the extension back to .txt (so it's again named schools.txt)

That should do the trick!

Let me know if you have any trouble getting it to work or if you have any further questions.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
iggyhood
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzamba View Post
It's actually very easy to do.

1. As always, back up your schools.txt file. (In this case, simply make a copy.)

2. Change the extension of your new schools file from .txt to .csv and open the file in Excel (or another spreadsheet editor.)

3. Add the extra schools you'd like to include at the end of the database in Column B (school_name).

4. Identify whether the school is a college or a high school by adding a 1 for college or a 0 for high school in Column A (school_type).

5. Put the name of the city in which the school is located into Column C (city_name) and the abbreviation for the province in Column D (region_name). Be sure that the city you enter appears in the cities.txt file. If it doesn't, you'll have to enter the next closest city that does.

6. Place the Nation_ID in Column E, which should be 36, assuming you haven't changed your nations.txt file.

7. Enter the latitude and longitude in Columns F and G, respectively. Be sure that the lat/long coordinates you enter match those found in the cities.txt file.

8. For Competition_Level (Column H), you'll want to give you school a rating between 1 and 5. If you're leaving the American schools and want the levels to be realistic, you'll probably want to give all your schools a 1. However, if you're JUST using Canadian schools, you may give them ratings relative to one another. (For ideas on this, compare the ratings of the US schools.)

9. Here's how Frequency (Column I) works: Schools that have a frequency of 1 produce the least amount of draft-caliber players. Schools with a frequency of 5 are 5x more likely to produce a player that goes into the draft. And a school with a frequency of 50 is 50x more likely. So use this to gauge the relative number of players you want to come from each school per draft.

(The last 3 fields - association, conference, and nickname - aren't required.)

10. Save your edits and change the extension back to .txt (so it's again named schools.txt)

That should do the trick!

Let me know if you have any trouble getting it to work or if you have any further questions.
Thats great Muzamba - thanks!! Bang goes the rest of my Sunday...!!!
Old 08-01-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

By the way, there are files for English and Scottish colleges floating around the forum, and Wales will be added later today.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:20 PM   #8
iggyhood
Minors (Single A)

Can you clarify at all - if I add all the colleges to the cities fiel, will it mean that - say - any English player in the draft will only come from an English domiciled college/school as the nation ID is used?

Thanks
Old 08-04-2010, 07:51 PM   #9
Chicagofan76
Banned

Infractions: 2/2 (3)
i have been editing my cities, nations and schools .txt files for my EBL league i havent tried editing just the schools file to see if they would show up but its very tedious work. 700 cities between 11 nations and 120 schools
Chicagofan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #10
iggyhood
Minors (Single A)

Have been playing with Canadian schools - attached is a file with about 800 high/Secondary schools and major/minor colleges (not all play baseball I guess though) that can be used in the game
Attached Files
File Type: txt OOTP Schools Canada.txt (50.6 KB, 289 views)
Old 08-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #11
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Can you clarify at all - if I add all the colleges to the cities fiel, will it mean that - say - any English player in the draft will only come from an English domiciled college/school as the nation ID is used?

Thanks
I think that's how it works, not too sure though.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:53 PM   #12
iggyhood
Minors (Single A)

Seems to - been playing around with it - where a country has schools in the txt file, any players from that country in the first year draft get an appropriate school from their home country
Old 08-11-2010, 04:16 PM   #13
iggyhood
Minors (Single A)

Just a quick question on the region_name column - for non-US/Canada countries that have a region in the Cities database, where do I find the abbreviation for them?

E.g. Rome is in the Lazio region in the cities data, do I just assume an abbreviation or is there one somewhere else in the data?

Thanks

Last edited by iggyhood; 08-11-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:39 AM   #14
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just a quick question on the region_name column - for non-US/Canada countries that have a region in the Cities database, where do I find the abbreviation for them?

E.g. Rome is in the Lazio region in the cities data, do I just assume an abbreviation or is there one somewhere else in the data?

Thanks
I didn't use abbreviations when I did the English one, I just used the county name. For the example you give I'd just put "Lazio".

Although, the English counties aren't in the cities database anyway.

Last edited by Cryomaniac; 08-29-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:22 PM   #15
Muzamba
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Thanks
Region names (as well as city names) in the schools db are purely cosmetic. They show up in the amateur draft pool to indicate where a particular school is located.

Example:

Notre Dame (South Bend, IN)

The schools db only uses the latitude/longitude coordinates from the cities.txt file. So the location in the schools db can say whatever you want. In other words, if you want to use the full name, that's fine. The main advantage to using abbreviations is that there's only so much room on this line and longer school/place names tend to get chopped off.

Also, if you want there to be a fictional school in a fictional city, but want it to be located in a real place, you would find the lat/long coordinates where you want the school/city to be and add the school, along with the fictional city and region name, the lat/long coordinates, and the other required data. Depending on the frequency you set for your new school, you would see the school listed for players in the draft pool. (However, your fictional city would not be available to set for a team location or a player's hometown. That would require the cities db to be edited.)
Old 02-12-2011, 02:07 AM   #16
Chicagofan76
Banned

So for my Endor league.

a school line could look like this?
1,Endor City Central,229, long/lat

and nothing else or do i still need competition level/freq?

Full line i guess would be:
1,Endor City Central,Endor,NC,229,long,lat,5,25,ENCAA-DIVI,MidAmerica,Tigers

from what i see the #1-5 the higher the # the better the school. Miami and cal state fullerton are both at 5 and freq is over 70 for both.

and then for a HS
0,Rock City Central,Rock City,MT,229,long,lat,3,1,,,Tigers

just trying to figure out what i can get rid of.

I have approx 400 cities and 52 nations to add and 214 college schools and the 400 HS's

This has already taken me 3 months longer then i had anticapated.

and i cant figure out how to open the txt into a csv using Open Office.

I do alot of copy & paste from the orig file to a new 1 then i cut my new cities and paste into a copy of the orig.

muzamaba i am gonna email u since i havent seen ya post in awhile.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:58 AM   #17
Muzamba
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagofan76 View Post
So for my Endor league.

a school line could look like this?
1,Endor City Central,229, long/lat

and nothing else or do i still need competition level/freq?

Full line i guess would be:
1,Endor City Central,Endor,NC,229,long,lat,5,25,ENCAA-DIVI,MidAmerica,Tigers
I'm not exactly sure how the game reacts to leaving certain fields blank. However, I believe we designed it so that everything up to frequency is required and everything after is optional (although I think you still need to include the appropriate number of commas.)

Quote:
from what i see the #1-5 the higher the # the better the school. Miami and cal state fullerton are both at 5 and freq is over 70 for both.
Actually, the #1-5 (competition level) has more to do with the quality of schools the team regularly plays. So generally, you should think of this number more as a conference rating. For example, all schools in Miami's conference, the ACC, have a comp level of 5. That's because the ACC is one of the stronger conferences, top to bottom, with schools like Miami, Florida State, and Clemson. Frequency, on the other hand, indicates the strength or quality of an individual program. So lesser ACC schools like BC, Maryland, and Virginia Tech each have a relatively low frequency of 20, but still have the maximum comp level rating of 5.

Quote:
and then for a HS
0,Rock City Central,Rock City,MT,229,long,lat,3,1,,,Tigers

just trying to figure out what i can get rid of.
Your example is correctly formatted. (To clarify for anyone else who may be wondering, the '0' indicates a high school, whereas a '1' indicates a college.)

By the way, I realize all the comp levels and frequencies for high schools are set to 3 and 1, but that's basically because we ran out of time. You can change these to reflect disparity between the various high schools in your universe, if you want. (Keep in mind that comp levels for high schools are independent of those for colleges. In other words, a HS comp level of '3' is not the same as a college comp level of '3'.) And of course, you can always add associations and conferences if you choose, but associations, conferences, and nicknames aren't necessary.

Quote:
I have approx 400 cities and 52 nations to add and 214 college schools and the 400 HS's

This has already taken me 3 months longer then i had anticapated.

and i cant figure out how to open the txt into a csv using Open Office.

I do alot of copy & paste from the orig file to a new 1 then i cut my new cities and paste into a copy of the orig.
Yeah, Open Office is a real PITA when it comes to editing the bigger OOTP databases, since it cuts off at a little over 16,000 lines. I know that if you try converting the default schools.txt db to a csv file and opening it in Open Office, it's too big. However, I'm not sure why it would have a problem opening a file with only 614 schools.

Do you currently have your schools in a .txt file? If so, you should be able to simply change the extension from .txt to .csv and it should open up in an Open Office spreadsheet. You should then be able to make your edits (Remember to include the header row in the first line), save it, and switch it back to a .txt extension.

Just to clarify, though, you shouldn't have to do any editing to the default schools db. But for future reference, if you ARE wanting to edit the schools db (or any other large db, like the cities.txt, for instance) you'll need to go ahead and open it in notepad and divide it into multiple sections. For the schools db, that means saving the colleges as one file and splitting up the high schools and saving them as two separate files. You should be able to convert these files to csv, open each of them (fully) in Open Office, make your edits, save them, switch them back to txt, and re-combine them.

Anyway, I hope this helps. If not, please let me know and I'll see if I can get it figured out for you.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #18
Chicagofan76
Banned

I am trying to keep to the for mat that the existing .txt's have in place this way it looks more real. As I add my cities I am copying those into the schools file and editing the correct stuff to those. For most of those I am not bothering to correct a fictional HS I just use the city name.

thx for the help.