Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues > Earlier versions of OOTP: Commissioner's Corner
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: Commissioner's Corner Want to run an online league? Want to learn about the 'ins' and 'outs' of being a commish? This is the place!

Old 04-15-2009, 09:35 AM   #1
KennyV17
Minors (Double A)

Question Signing Players in an Online league with Financials turned off

I think I know the answer to this question, but I wanted to be sure.

I am running an online league that currently has the financials turned off. If another manager wants to sign an available player, I just noticed that the option for them to sign the player is not available.

Does this mean as Commissioner, the manager will have to send their request via e-mail (or some other communication method) to me and then I would have to move the player to the right team myself?

Kenny V
KennyV17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
satchel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyV17 View Post
Does this mean as Commissioner, the manager will have to send their request via e-mail (or some other communication method) to me and then I would have to move the player to the right team myself?
Yes. As Commissioner, you "act as" the team claiming the player, and then you can go to the "Free Agents" screen, right-click on the free agent, and choose "sign player" from the mini-menu.
FL New Orleans Black Sox ’56 ’57 ’58 ’59
satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
satchel
Hall Of Famer

Ideally, the owner will tell you where to assign the player. If he doesn't, I'd choose the appropriate level, and put the player there, and slot him somewhere, if there's an opening in the pitching or depth chart. That way, he doesn't just sit, for the duration of the sim.

My game behaves inconsistently when I sign players this way. Sometimes it will assign them to a level (usually either the majors, or single-A). Yet sometimes they seem to be in limbo. Often, to find the newly-signed player, so I can assign them somewhere, I have to go to the major-league club, pull up the "Roster" screen, and then select "Show all players of organization." Then I can sort alphabetically and grab the player and send him where he needs to go.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
satchel
Hall Of Famer

I should have reported that inconsistent behavior of free-agent signings, in leagues without financials, as a bug, but I never paid close enough attention to see any kind of pattern, and it never occurred to me to do so. (My non-financials online league of sixteen major-league clubs probably averages one free-agent signing every other 10-day sim.)
Old 04-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #5
KennyV17
Minors (Double A)

Thumbs up

Sounds good Satchel. I guess I can deal with one more season with the managers e-mailing me the players they want. After this season we intend to turn on the financials so that should take care of it for good.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Kenny V
KennyV17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
satchel
Hall Of Famer

In the JL and the NPBL, we have a subforum where owners claim players. First come, first served, only one signing per team every 24 hours.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:34 PM   #7
satchel
Hall Of Famer

In order to balance roster sizes, teams in the NPBL must cut a player when they sign a new player who had entered the amateur draft, and gone undrafted.

Different variations of that approach can be used, to keep a team from just hoarding players.

Although some teams tend to sign more free agents (the JL calls them "unreserved players") than other teams, I've never had a problem with any team overdoing it.

Different house rules could be used to control the rate and volume of signings. Perhaps a team could only be allowed eight per season, or one per in-game month.