Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Discussions Discuss Out of the Park Developments' games, web site, downloads, research and anything else related to OOTP Developments.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:32 AM   #1
Left-handed
Minors (Single A)

Will OOTP migrate to mobile?

As mobile devices such as the iPad Pro become far more powerful, as powerful as some laptops, will OOTP Baseball be migrating to these sorts of mobile platforms? I realize there is currently MLB Manager on the iOS and Android stores, respectively, but let’s face it; OOTP is the creme de la creme.

I personally haul my iPad with me everywhere, to work, vacations, business trips, etc. On the other hand, I do not haul my personal laptop with me everywhere, because it’s just too much of a hassle. Especially when I’m usually hauling my work laptop with me already. OOTP is installed on my personal laptop though. So whenever I am away for business or on vacation, I generally do not have it with me. If it were installable on my iPad (or tablet), however, I could and would bring the game with me nearly everywhere.

Just wondering what the general consensus on this is. As I mentioned before, I realize there was a time when your general tablet would not be able to handle a game like OOTP. But now that they are becoming more and more powerful, I am wondering if that stance is softening and perhaps will change in the future.

Thoughts?
Left-handed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:22 PM   #2
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

My iPad will run the full version of Civilization VI, so it will certainly run OOTP in 2d mode at the very least. I really think a mobile version of the full game would be in demand, perhaps for a much higher price than the current mobile product.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:29 PM   #3
pgjocki
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
My iPad will run the full version of Civilization VI, so it will certainly run OOTP in 2d mode at the very least. I really think a mobile version of the full game would be in demand, perhaps for a much higher price than the current mobile product.
I would pay $20 today and $5 a month if I could play on my tablet. I travel between 10-15 days a month and spend hours on planes.

The issue will be storage, so it will need to less pictures, graphics, etc unless the $5 a month gives me cloud backup.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2018, 01:57 PM   #4
Left-handed
Minors (Single A)

If they could provide us with a trimmed down version, perhaps just without all the 3-D animations built in, I’d pay $29.99, or $10 less than the full computer version. But even if they could provide us with the full game, I’d pay full price for it just like for the PC/MAC/Linux game.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:23 PM   #5
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

People will also want to play Perfect Team on a mobile device.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:47 PM   #6
drksd4848
All Star Starter

I can play FULL OOTP on my IPad. All I do is use the Team Viewer app connected to my home PC. I've played a full season like that right on my tablet. Works like a charm.

That said, I always thought an OOTP express type app would work well: An app that actually syncs with PC ootp, you can do a limited amount of playing on your tablet, then sync what happens when you get home.
drksd4848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:01 PM   #7
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drksd4848 View Post
I can play FULL OOTP on my IPad. All I do is use the Team Viewer app connected to my home PC. I've played a full season like that right on my tablet. Works like a charm.
You are actually not playing OOTP on your iPad. You are playing it remotely on your home computer, which requires your home computer to be on and connected to the Internet. I don't leave my computer on while I am away from home, so this solution doesn't work for me.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:56 PM   #8
Left-handed
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
You are actually not playing OOTP on your iPad. You are playing it remotely on your home computer, which requires your home computer to be on and connected to the Internet. I don't leave my computer on while I am away from home, so this solution doesn't work for me.
I agree with this. It’s a different experience than what I proposed in the OP.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:30 PM   #9
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

For me, the small-screen experience will never replace playing OOTPB on a laptop or a desktop with a standard monitor screen. So while I hope you get what you are looking for, Lefty, I also hope that they never decide to exclusively "migrate to mobile."

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:52 PM   #10
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Having never owned a tablet, I really don't know anything about them or their capabilities. Do they meet these type requirements?
Attached Images
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:33 PM   #11
pgjocki
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Having never owned a tablet, I really don't know anything about them or their capabilities. Do they meet these type requirements?
Some yes but majority no. I have kindles and Samsung Galaxy that run Android and a iPad that runs iOS.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2018, 09:38 AM   #12
Left-handed
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
For me, the small-screen experience will never replace playing OOTPB on a laptop or a desktop with a standard monitor screen. So while I hope you get what you are looking for, Lefty, I also hope that they never decide to exclusively "migrate to mobile."
Agreed, me neither. This would only entail making it available on an additional platform.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:44 AM   #13
Left-handed
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Other than the OS, I do believe the iPad Pro would meet the hardware requirements. So essentially they’d have to build around iOS and possibly Android.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:08 PM   #14
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
I would like this. But in the meantime I can run many games on my Surface Pro 4 which is not much bulkier than an iPad Pro.

Only difference is the cost. But the top end iPad Pro is 1300 Euros.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:34 AM   #15
Left-handed
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
I would like this. But in the meantime I can run many games on my Surface Pro 4 which is not much bulkier than an iPad Pro.

Only difference is the cost. But the top end iPad Pro is 1300 Euros.
While I like the Surface Pro, and have considered buying one more than once, I've held off because of Microsoft's abysmal selection of mobile apps for their mobile devices and touchscreens. iOS and Android are made specifically for touchscreen functions, and hence are a lot more mobile friendly IMO.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:20 PM   #16
Cactusguy21
Major Leagues

To be honest, moving to iOS is probably a waste of their time. Trying to make things run on iOS is notoriously difficult, and in general iOS apps are more bugged. Even as an iPad owner who doesn't have a console, I'd vastly prefer to see their efforts put into a console version, because it would grow the game in a smarter way.
Cactusguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:07 PM   #17
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactusguy21 View Post
To be honest, moving to iOS is probably a waste of their time. Trying to make things run on iOS is notoriously difficult, and in general iOS apps are more bugged.
You must be using different apps from me. I don’t see this at all.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:09 PM   #18
DTFinch
Minors (Rookie Ball)

My understanding from dealing with guitar modeling amps is that Android OS is incredibly difficult to work with.
DTFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:20 PM   #19
Left-handed
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactusguy21 View Post
To be honest, moving to iOS is probably a waste of their time. Trying to make things run on iOS is notoriously difficult, and in general iOS apps are more bugged. Even as an iPad owner who doesn't have a console, I'd vastly prefer to see their efforts put into a console version, because it would grow the game in a smarter way.
Personally, I don’t think OOTP makes sense on a console. It’s a turn-based sim game that doesn’t place emphasis on its graphical prowess, but as an in depth management sim. The game thrives in an environment of mouse clicks and keyboard strokes. I think trying to navigate the game with a console controller would be extremely difficult and burdensome, as it already is in games sports sim games like Madden or NHL. If you are looking for a fun but in depth baseball sim with more emphasis on 3D game play, it already exists on the market with ‘MLB The Show’. OOTP fills a niche market for management sim junkies who just happen to be fans of the sport of baseball. Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t think most of us long time OOTP fanatics care all that much about 3D game play on a console.

Last edited by Left-handed; 09-17-2018 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:11 AM   #20
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

If only you all knew how much I have spent on pcs because of ootp. I don't like windows anymore but I keep coming back only because of I need a system to play ootp on. I prefer the pixelbook, but that cannot run ootp. I have a gaming desktop hooked up to a 50 inch tv but that feels awkward to play on. I would love for maybe a switch version or a more detailed mobile version with 3-d graphics, like football manager has with their touch streamlined version.
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote