Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:55 PM   #1
hillm2ca
Minors (Triple A)

Worst Team Ever

I am playing with the 1988 Chicago Cubs and near the midpoint of the season, our team record is 18-51 (.261). The bullpen is atrocious (7.13 ERA) and it seems as if I hardly ever have a 1-2-3-inning when I bring in a reliever. I have played OOTP for several years and this has to be the worst team I have ever played with. Granted, the 1988 Cubs were not a good team in real life, but this is absolutely terrible.

I was wondering what other people's worst single season performances are with a team?

Obviously, the club morale and team chemistry is embarrassing. I have fired the pitching coach, traded for pitching, promoted/demoted players and nothing seems to work. This team stinks.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

Last edited by hillm2ca; 04-15-2016 at 09:57 PM.
hillm2ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:12 PM   #2
webrian
Minors (Triple A)

Great post! I had a couple of chuckles while reading this. I can vaguely remember catching those 1988 Cubs on TV on lazy afternoons that summer after my high school graduation. But man, 18-51? I bet Harry Caray sounds downright morbid on those TV broadcasts.

One question: The "Batting Leaders" column has Rob Deer with 6 HRs and less than 24 RBIs (he's not listed in RBIs) but on the right side where the lineup is shown, he has 14 HRs and a team-leading 34 RBIs. Is this because you picked him up from Milwaukee?

I admire your patience and commitment to this 1988 Cubs project. I wonder how you find the desire to keep plowing forward.

Great post!
webrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:19 PM   #3
hillm2ca
Minors (Triple A)

I did acquire Rob Deer in a trade with the Brewers in exchange for Rafael Palmeiro to (1) please the owner who wanted a power hitter, and (2) free up a spot for Mark Grace at first. So, yeah, he has 6 HR as a Cub but 14 overall.

Thanks for the response - I must be patient indeed! Thank goodness Harry loved Budweiser; he'd need quite a few to call the games for this team.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:34 PM   #4
webrian
Minors (Triple A)

This won't cheer you up any .... the real-life 1988 Cubs were 36-33 after 69 games and they finished within sight of .500 (77-85). So ... maybe it will get better?
webrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:46 PM   #5
hillm2ca
Minors (Triple A)

Yeah, I guess there is a long way to go and maybe things will become a little more promising. I cannot image the 1988 Cubs maintaining such a dismal pace throughout the year but who knows On a side note, the Phillies have a team batting average of .199 and have a better record than the Cubbies because of their pitching. What a weird sim!
Attached Images

Last edited by hillm2ca; 04-15-2016 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:52 AM   #6
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrian View Post
Great post! I had a couple of chuckles while reading this. I can vaguely remember catching those 1988 Cubs on TV on lazy afternoons that summer after my high school graduation. But man, 18-51? I bet Harry Caray sounds downright plastered on those TV broadcasts.
Fixed your post.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:12 PM   #7
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I think you can catch the Phillies. Forget about .500. If your not playing single season I'd say let the bench warmers play. Can't do any worse.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:58 PM   #8
hillm2ca
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
I think you can catch the Phillies. Forget about .500. If your not playing single season I'd say let the bench warmers play. Can't do any worse.
Agree - .500 is an impossibility at this point and I will definitely give some guys playing time that otherwise would not get much of it - Hector Villaneuva, Gary Varsho, Darrin Jackson, etc. I'm hoping for at least a 50 win season, but who knows with these guys.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:01 PM   #9
Orioles
Minors (Single A)

Just curious, are you playing each game out? I started a league once not knowing the 'warmup pitcher option' was turned on. It drove me nuts until I finally figured it out. My Bullpen pitchers didn't stand a chance.
Orioles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:01 AM   #10
hillm2ca
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles View Post
Just curious, are you playing each game out? I started a league once not knowing the 'warmup pitcher option' was turned on. It drove me nuts until I finally figured it out. My Bullpen pitchers didn't stand a chance.
I play out about half of the games and simulate the rest of them. As far as the "warm up pitcher" option, I have turned that off so it is not factor. Currently, the Cubs are on a 3-game winning streak which is the longest of the season and are 6-4 in the last 10 which is encouraging. I did make an additional trade to upgrade the offense by acquiring Dave Parker and he has done well. So, atleast for now, things are improving.
The Phillies, on the other hand, have improved their team batting average to .207 so I imagine things will start to balance out a little more going forward.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:13 PM   #11
1994WSChamps
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I'm going into my 4th year of sim, started as the Expos in 1969 went:

1969: 42-120
1970: 49-113
1971: 57-105

My entire pitching staff is BRUTAL, but especially my bullpen, my staff low is 5.26, bullpen has never been under 6. Though I think I finally have a decent pair of relievers to close out games.

I usually play out the games but it's been way to frustrating so I've summed 95% lately. Hopefully I will be back to playing in 1972 as draft picks like Rick Rescheul, George Brett and Dave Kingman help out
1994WSChamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:39 PM   #12
hillm2ca
Minors (Triple A)

Dang, that is pretty brutal! I gave up on the Cubs franchise and started a new game with the 1981 Detroit Tigers and, even though we are below .500 for the year coming up the halfway point of the season, it's a bearable mediocrity that I can deal with.
I always thought an Expos franchise starting in 1969 would be interesting and something I might try out in the future.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:21 PM   #13
1994WSChamps
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Those early brutal seasons are paying off now. Last 3 seasons:

1974 86-76
1975 89-73
1976 89-73

Unfortunately the Mets pitching staff was too much for me. They won their 4th & 5th straight NL East titles in 74-75. In 76 the Phillies got lucky and won 13 more games than expected to win the division. My 1977 team is 17-7 so far but are a 1/2 back of the Cardinals. Starting to feel like the real life Expos, no matter how good they are someone is always a little better.
1994WSChamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:01 PM   #14
bigsmooth
Major Leagues

Have any of you had any problems with OOTP 17 and the draft?

I started a league in 1969, and players that are drafted for example Rich Reuschel was drafted in 1969 by the Oakland A's, signed a contract - and the next year he was not traded or released and signed with the St. Louis Cardinals. Same thing happened to George Brett - he was drafted by the helpless Expos, and the very next year he was on the White Sox. Do I have setting off or something? I used the basic default settings.
bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:25 PM   #15
dpd376
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillm2ca View Post
Yeah, I guess there is a long way to go and maybe things will become a little more promising. I cannot image the 1988 Cubs maintaining such a dismal pace throughout the year but who knows On a side note, the Phillies have a team batting average of .199 and have a better record than the Cubbies because of their pitching. What a weird sim!
I love the idea that Don Carmen was ever good even for a moment in his major league career
Old 08-03-2016, 07:26 PM   #16
hillm2ca
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmooth View Post
Have any of you had any problems with OOTP 17 and the draft?

I started a league in 1969, and players that are drafted for example Rich Reuschel was drafted in 1969 by the Oakland A's, signed a contract - and the next year he was not traded or released and signed with the St. Louis Cardinals. Same thing happened to George Brett - he was drafted by the helpless Expos, and the very next year he was on the White Sox. Do I have setting off or something? I used the basic default settings.
I have not noticed anything like this in my historical sims, but I have seen where teams will draft a player and then release them before the following season even starts. For example, in my Detroit Tigers franchise - which I started in 1981 and now am in 1987 - I signed Jose Lind as a minor league free agent. When I looked through his history, he had been drafted by the Toronto in the 1982 draft (which took place in November) and was released by April of 1983 which did not make too much sense to me since he had not played a single game at that point. He would later sign a minor league deal with the Cleveland Indians in June of 1983 and was released in September of that year. I ended up signing him a few days later.
I have seen similar issues elsewhere so I am not sure what is going on.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:04 AM   #17
bigsmooth
Major Leagues

I have never noticed it before either! But, I believe there is a problem with the reserve clause era - draft process. Those players were not released. They were drafted played for the team that drafted them for one year, then signed somewhere else - they were not released, waived, or traded ---- this is not right, and has not been addressed yet!
bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote