Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:49 PM   #1
thehef
Hall Of Famer

historical "what if" ... how to?

As I near the end of the 1974 season in my historical replay, I'm thinking of trying a what-if for 1975: What if the Dodgers were healthy? How would they have fared against the Big Red Machine? In order to accomplish this, among other things I need Bills Russell and Buckner to have stats as if they were injury-free in 1975, and I want Tommy John to be available. Since both Russell and Buckner had very similar '74 and '76 seasons, for my "what if" I would like them to be rated based upon '75 stats that are - instead of actual - an average of their '74 & '76 seasons. Same for Tommy John (who, as we know, did not play in 1975).

I would imagine that there would be at least a couple of ways to do this... Changing stats prior to import might be difficult/impossible since the game has been pulling from the .odb file. As for editing stats/attributes in OOTP after import, I have found that monkeying around with stats in OOTP - especially for pitchers - is pretty challenging, since you don't end up simply keying in straight actual stats. But perhaps there are some tricks or shortcuts to make this do-able.

Any suggestions on the best/simplest way to do this? (Please note that I'm not interested in using the 3-year recalc to "smooth out" the 1975 stats. It might be too late for that, and that's not really what I'm going for anyway.)

Thanks in advance!
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 02:56 AM   #2
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

1 year
3 year
5 year
Career (for some things)

Note that 2 year is not an option, neither is 4 year nor 6 plus. I suppose the line needed to be drawn somewhere.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:01 PM   #3
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the suggestion, but for this replay I'm happy with 1-yr recalc, and it's just for a few players that I want to introduce a "what if." With 3- or 5-yr recalc, Russell's and Buckner's decent '74 and '76 seasons would be weighted down by their awful, injury-plagued '75 seasons, and that's not what I'm going for. Rather, I want to continue with 1-yr recalc, but I want to see Russell and Buckner (and T John) healthy in '75.

I'm thinking the best way to do this might be to screenshot their '74 (from my current game) and '76 (from a test game, since I'm not there yet) "resulting stats" from the Player Editor panel, then throw all of those into a spreadsheet, add together and divide by two, then enter those resulting stats (which are the avg of their '74 & '76 season) into their '75 versions, and then click "Create current ratings based on stats."

Unless someone has a better idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
Note that 2 year is not an option, neither is 4 year nor 6 plus. I suppose the line needed to be drawn somewhere.
I'm guessing 2-4-6 are not options because those would, by definition, end up weighting past and future seasons unequally, whereas with 3- and 5-yr, the same number of years both before and after the current season are weighted equally.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:20 PM   #4
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Create a different league on the side. Start your league in 1974 and use 3-year recalc. Use the ratings for Russell, Buckner, and John from that league. I don't think the ratings would be dramatic reduced by the one injury-shortened season, but you would able to judge that for yourself. Tweak them up a little to compensate if you wish.

Last edited by Orcin; 07-08-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:33 PM   #5
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

If you're happy with one year recalc for all of the other players, do the following:

1. Start a new 1974 game with one year recalc. Go to the editor page and copy the ratings on the right hand side (take a screenshot and print it out).
2. Start your 1975 game and edit those players to have the same ratings they did in 1974. That may take a little trial and error, but it's doable.
3. Disable player development.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:45 PM   #6
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
If you're happy with one year recalc for all of the other players, do the following:

1. Start a new 1974 game with one year recalc. Go to the editor page and copy the ratings on the right hand side (take a screenshot and print it out).
2. Start your 1975 game and edit those players to have the same ratings they did in 1974. That may take a little trial and error, but it's doable.
3. Disable player development.
I'm in September of 1974 in my current game. Is there some reason why I wouldn't want to take screenshots from my current game instead (rather than starting a new '74 game)?

BTW, yes, player devel is disabled.

Also, why would this take a little trial and error? Seems pretty straightforward to me. Am I missing something?
Old 07-08-2016, 03:53 PM   #7
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Because I'm not sure you can edit that contact rating directly. You may have to do it through stats, and the same stats may not lead to the same ratings in 1975 as they did in 1974, so you may have to fiddle with them a little bit. But just match up as much of that right hand side of the edit page as you can, and you'll be close enough.

Edit: If you already have player development off, I think you can use the September numbers. If it's on, you probably want to go back to April.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis

Last edited by swampdragon; 07-08-2016 at 03:55 PM.
swampdragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:56 PM   #8
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Got it. Thanks for your help!