Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues > Earlier versions of OOTP: Commissioner's Corner

Earlier versions of OOTP: Commissioner's Corner Want to run an online league? Want to learn about the 'ins' and 'outs' of being a commish? This is the place!

Old 02-14-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
Stu
All Star Starter

Off-Season Sim Schedules

Just looking for ideas on how other leagues handle the off-season. This is the current schedule we're using:

1) Offseason 1 - Playoffs to Pre Arbitration
2) Offseason 2 - Pre Arbitration to Post Arbitration
3) Offseason 3 - Post Arbitration to Rule 5 Draft
4) Free Agency 1 & Rule 5 Draft Length: 7 days.
5) Free Agency 2 Length: 7 days
6) Free Agency 3 Length: 7 days
7) Free Agency 4 Length: 7 days
8) Free Agency 5 Length: 7 days
9) Free Agency 6 to Start of Pre-Season Length: ~30 days
10) Start of Pre-Season to Spring Training Length: ~30 days
11) First half of Spring Training
12) Second half of Spring Training

The current problems we're having is that the off-season takes too long and free agency doesn't work that well. Most major free agents sign during the pre-season stage when they don't receive a counter offer for awhile. The first 3 sims of FA are basically useless since almost no free agents sign, unless they've only gotten one offer.

Right now I'm thinking I can cut out #2. I'm also thinking of either making all the free agency sims 14 days or start FA on January 1st instead of December 1st.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:18 PM   #2
Corsairs
Hall Of Famer

If it makes you feel any better, our offseason schedule runs considerably longer than yours. We held 21 sims during our last offseason. Of course some of these were happening in rapid-fire succession. In general I find more sims to be beneficial, but then we haven't experienced the issue you're reporting where players won't sign during the early FA period. We really take it slow on the way to arbitration (to allow owners time to resign pending free agents) and shortly after FA arrives. After we hit the Winter Meetings it's a mad rush to Spring Training.
Corsairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:55 AM   #3
gollum65
All Star Reserve

I recently completed my 2nd offseason in the league I commish, and we use about the same schedule you do Stu. Our last one went from December 31st to January 15th with a day or 2 off because of the holiday.

I would disagree that your early free agent sims are useless or that you have a problem. Those early sims are when teams are making offers and counter offers to the players. By the time you get to the preseason everyone has already reached their max offer (in most cases), and that's why the free agents sign during the long preseason sims. If you cut out early free agent sims you're going to have GMs upset that players are signing before they get to exhaust their negotiations with them.

That's my opinion anyway.
gollum65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
EKomrska15
All Star Starter

What we do in my league is we complete the rule 5 drill and then sim all the way till Feb. 1st, while allowing no bids on FA's until Feb. 1st. We then sim 3 days at a time till 15th of Feb and then we sim 5 days at a time till Spring Training (my draft is in June). It defintley cuts down on the offseason all the while giving teams enough chance to be able to counter with FA's.
EKomrska15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
mikev
Hall Of Famer

This was ours the past offseason:

#1: Tues, sim up to 11/11/14. Process options.

#2: Wed, sim up to 11/21/14. Last chance to cut arbitration eligible players.

#3: Thur, sim up to 11/30/14. Salary Arbitration hearings take place, players file for Free Agency. After sim owners are free to make offers to Free Agents.

#4: Fri, sim up to 12/1/14. Free Agency begins. Rule 5 availables finalized. ROSTERS FROZEN UNTIL AFTER RULE 5 DRAFT.

#5: Sun, sim through 12/15/14 - NO TEAM IMPORTS PROCESSED. Rule 5 draft off-line - lists only.

#6: 2/9, sim through 12/31/14. Free Agency continues.

#7: 2/10, sim through 1/15/15. Free Agency continues.

#8: 2/11, sim through 1/31/15. Free Agency continues.

#9: 2/12, sim up to 3/1/15. WATCH YOUR DFA!! FA ends.

#10: 2/13, sim up to 3/8/15. Clear your DFA / get setup for Spring Training.

#11: 2/14, sim up to 3/18/15. First half of spring training.

#12: 2/15, sim up to 3/30/15. ST completed. Teams need to get ML rosters back to 25 players.

#12: 2/17. Opening Day sim. 4/1/15 - 4/10/15
Old 03-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
vwxy686
Banned

Infractions: 0/1 (99)
I'm really trying to be clever

I'm posting spam in a bunch of different threads so that the admins can't find them all. Ain't I smart??

Last edited by CommishJoe; 03-11-2009 at 11:49 AM.
vwxy686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:09 AM   #7
Max Boyer
Minors (Double A)

Thanks for this tread! I was doing it right.
Here's how I do things since I'm here...

Free Agency starts with a 3-day sim, followed by a 5-day sim and the it's a 14-day until pre-season.

We want to avoid having crazy GMs burning their budget.
Max Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote