Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues > Earlier versions of OOTP: Commissioner's Corner
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: Commissioner's Corner Want to run an online league? Want to learn about the 'ins' and 'outs' of being a commish? This is the place!

Old 04-28-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
molarmite
Hall Of Famer

Weird emails signing up for forums

In the past couple weeks, I have gotten many weird emails signing up for my site. I was just wondering if anyone had seen these before, if there are just spam or something worse?

pauljkiggins@hotmail.com, fouffunjumb@googlemail.com, nogeinite@uastar.net, ugidfogs@gmail.com, rackflinciatt@gmail.com, fefefermaps@gmail.com, fsdfklsjflksf@gmail.com, polsofdswq@gmail.com, pioducciciesk@gmail.com, pioducciciesk@gmail.com, leila88@megapochta.cn, kath0benn@gmail.com, jifferkise@mail.ru, mpffdasd@gawab.com, eshka@megapochta.cn, oqmxwzeai@maillier.com, buylasikamag@medmail.info

"Now all you need is a signature. A quote or initial, perhaps."

[
molarmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
DWK
All Star Reserve

I also get them too, sometimes it's for the league Forum also
DWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
kq76
Global Moderator

They're probably just spam.

I've always found that the best way to prevent spammers (spammers have programs that can figure out CAPTCHA now), but not people legitimately interested in your forum, is to have your registration page ask them a question where the correct answer is required. It can be easy as asking what does 2 plus 2 equal or as difficult as a code that they have to get from you first. The CBL uses something inbetween by asking what year we started which should be pretty easy to find and if the person can't find the answer they can always ask us. We were getting dozens of signups a day with CAPTCHA, but none with this.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
f.montoya
Hall Of Famer

That pauljkiggins hotmail one is a member of my online league. He has been having trouble signing onto my forums. I wonder if he has a virus on his machine. I'll let him know right away.

Asahi2 Baseball ex-Commissioner(Historical League Since 2004)
www.allsimbaseball.com (OOTP web hosting - Customized sites for online leagues - Sign up, Connect OOTP and Play!)
Share Your Mods - Free, unlimited and easy to upload to share your Mods instantly(free site registration required)
f.montoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
snnort
Minors (Triple A)

You can use reCAPTCHA... it's a lot tougher for spambots to figure than standard captcha. The BCBL uses reCAPTCHA and spam sign-ups have completely gone. Zero. Nothing. We used to get 20-50 sign-ups a day.

About Us
snnort is offline   Reply With Quote