Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 6 > FHM 6 - Dynasty Reports

FHM 6 - Dynasty Reports Talk about your FHM 6 dynasties here!

Old 03-19-2020, 12:12 PM   #1
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Historical Replay - Calgary Flames

Hello all,

Thanks to the global pandemic sweeping the world, I am housebound with the entire family. Thankfully I'm armed with OOTP21 (which I haven't even touched yet) and FHM6 (which I've touched too much to be honest). Anyway, I decided to occupy my time with rehashing and documenting one of my favourite historical replays: What if I was given control over the Flames in the year 2000 instead of the future GM of the year Craig Button?

When Button was hired in Calgary, there was a lot of optimism. He had helped build the Dallas Stars into one of the best teams in the league. Flames fans, like myself at the time, thought good times were ahead.

Instead, what we got was a guy who shipped out some of Calgary's better pieces and relentlessly pursued poor fits like Rob Niedermayer and Chris Drury. He also stood by an inexperienced coach and shipped out Marc Savard for a handful of magic beans. On the plus side he did acquire Craig Conroy, so he's not all bad. His tenure didn't really set the team back that much, but he did not transform the team into a contender as many thought he would. Calgary would have to wait for Darryl Sutter to roll into town and give the roster a kick in the ass.

I had the pleasure of meeting Craig Button once, in a lounge on 17th avenue one night. I jokingly told him he should trade Iginla straight up for Mike Peca. Thank god he was far too intelligent to follow my advice for I was heavily intoxicated on cheap gin and Peca's leadership on a bad Buffalo team. He did seem like a genuinely wicked guy though.

As with my past dynasty with the Expansion Sharks, I will narrate the season through assorted fictional press-releases and editorials.

I hope this brings me a bit of joy and relief from the madness that we are all going through and gives you all something to read that is hockey related. I don't know about you, but I need the distraction.

The parameters are pretty straight forward. I simmed the '99-'00 season from Sept 17 to June 1st and took over the Flames from there.

A couple of bizarre things have happened: The LA Kings won the Stanley Cup on the back of Stephane Fiset in 18 games. The Kings were the 8th seed and routed everyone in 5 games or less. They faced Ottawa in the finals and beat them 4-0. So yeah, pretty crazy.

The second bizarre thing: the scrappy Edmonton Oilers of the late-90s finished first in the west. And, yeah LA beat them in 5 games in the first round.

Individual player stats seem really standard with lots of familiar faces doing familiar things, so nothing really stands out there. Pittsburgh had fun with Mario, Jagr and Straka all topping 100pts for the year. Brian Rafalski won the Calder trophy, Niedermayer won the Norris, Jagr the Art Ross and John LeClair won the Richard trophy with 55 goals. Brodeur won the Vezina. Rob Blake won the Conn Smyth with a whopping 10 pts and minus 7. Fiset's numbers where pretty stellar so I'm not sure what happened there.
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:16 PM   #2
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Flames signal change of direction

Flames signal change of direction
01.06.00 13.26 MST

Caretakers Coates and Sutter out, Dave Fyvie in as new Coach and General Manager

Days after the surprising image of LA King Luc Robitaille raising the cup over his head was beamed across the league, the team that finished 4 points back of the Cinderella Kings has made a radical change in their front office: a new Coach/GM.

33 year old Dave Fyvie, a dual citizen from Naperville Illinois, intends on steering the seemingly forever rebuilding Calgary Flames back into the playoffs.

Name:  harleyhotchkiss.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  16.0 KB

Harley Hotchkiss (pictured), Owner and Team President announced the hiring this afternoon. “As an organisation was have deep gratitude for how Al Coates has carefully steered this hockey club through a very tumultuous time”. He added “With his job as caretaker done, we are happy to announce a new General Manager and Coach for the Calgary Flames effective immediately. A new man for a new decade of Flames hockey”.

“I think we have the pieces to make the playoffs this year”. Dave Fyvie said in front of a packed media room inside the bowels of the Saddledome. “There’s more depth on this team than people realise. With a couple of minor roster adjustments, we can be playing hockey in May and hopefully June”.

Dave Fyvie went further to illustrate the kind of hockey team he wants to build. “I am keen to build this team down the middle and across the back. So much of the game depends on your centres and defenders and the game between the dots. We have areas of strength on the roster, it is now to to build from that and ice a competitive hockey team.”

Careful not to name any players, Fyvie highlighted the need to be thorough and decisive. “We’ve got a busy few weeks. the Expansion Draft, Free Agency and hosting the Draft make this a critical time for the team.”

The 33-36-13 Flames finished 3rd in the competitive Northwest Division, missing the playoffs by 4pts. Calgary is also hosting the 2000 Entry draft next month, and is eager for their new GM to get started. The move signals an end to the Al Coates era which saw the team transition from a winning Hockey club to rebuilding venture, moving out franchise pillars Theo Fleury, and Joe Nieuwendyk for building blocks Jarome Iginla, and Robyn Regehr.

There is no news at this time regarding Calgary’s existing coaching, scouting and training staff. More to follow.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:19 PM   #3
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Where to improve the Flames?

Where to improve the Flames?
02.06.00 09.00MST

Name:  Valeribure.png
Views: 916
Size:  65.5 KB

Editorial - New Coach and GM hard pressed to return to the Post Season

With any new appointment, there is optimism. But as the Flames missed the playoffs for the fourth consecutive year this season, that optimism is fragile. Al Coates’ stewardship of the Flames was not deemed a success, but his hiring was, at the time, seen as more of a band-aid. He was the smart choice. His calm business-like demeanour assured the Flames’ ownership group that Coates was keen to cut costs, and navigate the franchise through the hazardous waters of low Canadian Dollars and rising player salaries. With the ship back into safer waters, and the oil sector in the City thriving, the plan now is to be aggressive. Win now! Get those oil dollars back in the seats, wether they be corporate or proletariate.

Enter Dave Fyvie: a young man in a hurry. Assuming the now rare title of Coach and General Manager, Fyvie is a relative roll of the dice. He has no track record and limited experience. But his ideas impressed Harley Hotchkiss enough that the Team Owner handed him the keys to the City’s pride and joy.

The 33yr old Fyvie assured us the team can make the playoffs. Wether or not that is achievable is open to debate. So let’s begin.

The Flames finished the year with a 33-36-13 record that placed them 9th overall in the Conference, just 3pts shy of 8th place Los Angeles - the team that rode a hot Stephane Fiset all the way to the Stanley Cup. The Flames boast some young up-and-coming talent throughout the lineup with a sprinkling of Phil Housley and other mid-30’s vets adorning the roster.

Dave Fyvie wouldn’t have to look far to realise that Calgary’s goal production could be better along with the penalty killing. Goals against, on the other hand, was top ten in the league whereas the powerplay production was exactly middle-of-the-pack.

Dave Fyvie said “We need to be smart with the puck five-on-five and use our special teams to make plays.”

And where does a new General Manager extract these improvements? One can only guess that moving players in and out offer the new Executive the solution. But as the new chief is hesitant to name names or even positions, it falls on the fans and the media to speculate.

The players that broke-out last season: forwards Iginla, Savard and Martin St Louis all are on the right side of 30 and show signs of improving further still. Cory Stillman and Valeri Bure also dialled in good performances and are in their prime. With the Flames strapped for goals, it would be hard to consider moving any of those names out. Where the team seems to suffer from is the shallow depth of foot soldiers: players that occupy the middle-six of the lineup. Domenichelli, Corbet, Lindsay and Wiemer all have something to contribute, but had trouble complimenting the promising top six forwards. Perhaps augmenting this group of players is where we can expect changes.

As Calgary looks steady with its stable of good young defenders and ‘goalie of the future’ Jean-Sebastien Giguere on the back-end the road seems straight-forward for the new General Manager to improve the forward corps.

All of this sounds simple, but looming just days after free-agency begins, is the dreaded Expansion Draft. Where Mr Fyvie decides to hide his team’s strengths from the hungry clutches of Columbus and Minnesota remain unclear. He needs to simultaneously add to his roster and kick to the curb any deadwood without being stuck with a depleted top-six forward group and top-four blue-line.

The Entry Draft, held in Calgary just days after the Expansion Draft, could proved further agency to the young Executive in his first off-season. The Flames are slotted, after adding two new teams to the order, 15th overall. Not bad, but not a shoe-in to add any assets that can contribute right away. That being said, the trade market on the day of the draft is notably soft. The rest of the league is always keen to upgrade their rosters with the ease of simply walking to the next table with a pen and pad in hand. I imagine the new direction of the Flames will become evident here: in early July under the lights of the Calgary Saddledome.

Fyvie hinted yesterday at his press conference that he intends to “build this team down the middle and across the back.” Sounds to me like centre depth is where he intends on improving the team and looking at teams who have strength at that position could potentially give us some idea of who will be the team’s trading partner in the next few weeks. Narrowing that search to teams deep down the middle but starving for defensemen or wingers could improve speculation.

Calgary’s current centres of Savard, Shantz, Wilm, Dubinsky and Johansson are an interesting group of ‘maybe will be’s’ to ‘never were’s’. What’s missing is a true Franchise Centre that all teams covet, but this is not the 80’s. What Calgary needs most is a centre that can be truly two-way. A pivot that can help the scorers and hold his own in the defensive zone. Savard has proven to be a fantastic playmaker but does not posses a 200ft game. Shantz, and Wilm are great in their own end, but cannot be counted on to provide much offence. Johansson and Dubinsky may not even be good enough for big minutes in the NHL.

An asset that could be spent to shore up the centre corps is the diminutive winger from Russia. Valeri Bure (pictured), blocking a younger, cheaper winger on the depth chart by the name of Martin St Louis, could be the solution to Dave Fyvie’s shallow list of pivots. Bure flirted with the 30 goal mark this season with 28 goals (team leader) and 46 points over a full 82 game schedule. Will Fyvie part with Pavel’s younger brother? It is safe to say, the right handed sniper could be in demand and Calgary has pressing needs down the middle of the lineup. Bure’s even made remarks suggesting he’d be open to go elsewhere if it meant more ice-time.

The coming weeks and months will be critical for this team. Will the route to the playoffs be clear with a steady tailwind? Or will the Flames spend more time toiling in the tempest of mediocrity? Only time will tell.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:08 AM   #4
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Flames qualify RFAs

Flames qualify RFA's
16.06.00 10.30MST

New GM shores up depth, but 3 players reject qualifying offer.

Many pending RFA's signed on the dotted line this past week, as the new Flames boss, and many of his players came to mutual agreements. Three key players were not so happy and rejected their offers leaving them free to pursue other offers.

Defenders Toni Lydman, Robyn Regehr, and right winger Martin St Louis received qualifying offers, but did not sign meaning that Calgary reserves the right to match any offers these three young players receive. If Calgary refuses, then the Flames will receive compensatory draft picks in the 2001 entry Draft as a result.

"I'm obviously not thrilled with these developments. These guys are really important to our team going forward, and I am optimistic that we'll see them all in Flames' colours this September." Dave Fyvie spoke in front of reports this morning.

In other roster news: some notable names were not offered qualifying offers and risk being without a team come July 1st. Former first rounder Andrei Nazarov, pugilist Wade Belak and Red Deer native Paul Manning are some of the names amongst the list of non-returnees.

The deadline for retaining any players whose contracts expire is June 30th.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:37 AM   #5
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Fuhr traded, Players protected

Fuhr Traded, Players Protected
01.07.00 10.25MST

Name:  fuhr.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  74.0 KB

Flames reveal list of protected players and announce All-Star transaction

Future Hall of Fame Goaltender Grant Fuhr (pictured) has been traded to the Expansion Columbus Blue Jackets today in a stunning move that says more about the constraints General Managers face when having a limited number of players they can protect going into tomorrow's expansion draft.

The 37 year old all-star was not shocked. "They can only protect one of us. (Giguere) is obviously the future." When asked how he will remember his time in Calgary, Fuhr wasn't too emotional. "It was great. It's a good group of guys. They'll be fine without me."

Fuhr is the first official member of the Expansion Blue Jackets, as no other player is on the roster.

Close by and available for questions, was winger Jarome Iginla. "We'll miss Coco. He's a legend. I know a lot of us shooters enjoyed listening to his advice on how to improve our scoring. He's a wealth of information, experience and laughs. Great guy."

Fuhr appeared in 38 games for the Flames last season and compiled a 15-15-7 record. He recorded 4 shutouts, a 2.59 GAA, and a .913 SV%.

After announcing the trade with Columbus, a first for rookie GM Fyvie, the Flames revealed the list of players they will protect for the Expansion Draft being held tomorrow. The list is as follows:

Goalie - Jean-Sebastien Giguere
Defense - Albelin,T Gauthier,D Housley,P Lydman,T Morris,D
Forwards - Domenichelli,H Ekman,N Stillman,C Savard,M Shantz,J Wilm,C Bure,V Iginla,J St.Louis,M

One player exempt from the draft due to his age and playing time is RFA defenseman Robyn Regehr.

Notable players left exposed are Fred Brathwaite, Cale Hulse, Jason Weimer, Bill Lindsay, Daniel Tkaczuk and Chris Clark.

The Expansion Draft is scheduled to take place tomorrow at Noon Eastern.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:51 AM   #6
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Flames go to College in the First Round

Flames go to College in the First Round
03.07.00 13:15MST

Hosts draft diminutive winger in the first round

Name:  bhl_bl007906_full_541_676__0_default.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  43.7 KB

Forward Mike Cammalleri (pictured) of the University of Michigan Wolverines, was drafted 14th overall by the host Calgary Flames today in the 2000 NHL entry draft. The expansion team Columbus Blue Jackets selected Calgary raised Dany Heatley first overall, whilst their fellow expansion team Minnesota Wild picked Russian winger Sergei Mozyakin. The first goalie selected was Swede Henrik Lunqvist, who went 3rd overall to the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Listed at 5'9" and 190lb, Cammalleri is under-sized by some standards, but Flames GM Fyvie was impressed by his tools and ability. "He can skate, score, and win battles along the boards. He interviewed really well with us too. I was happy that he was still available at 14." Asked where he saw Cammalleri playing, Fyvie highlighted the player's versatility and ability to play all three forward positions.

This past season, Cammalleri posted 13 goals and 26 points in 39 games for the Wolverines.

Players still left available when Calgary took the podium were Slovak winger Marian Gaborik, centre Antoine Vermette, and Alberta born Scott Hartnell.

The first round draft order was as follows:

1. Heatley,D - Columbus Blue Jackets
2. Mozyakin,S - Minnesota Wild
3. Lundqvist,H - Tampa Bay Lightning
4. Kunitz,C - Atlanta Thrashers
5. Franzen,J - New York Islanders
6. Sharp,P - Buffalo Sabres
7. Kronwall,N - Chicago Blackhawks
8. DiPietro,R - Anaheim Mighty Ducks
9. Moore,D - Nashville Predators
10. Fiddler, V - Montreal Canadiens
11. Bryzgalov,I - Vancouver Canucks
12. Kopecky,T - New York Rangers
13. Smith,M - Washington Capitals
14. Cammalleri,M - Calgary Flames
15. Gaborik,M - Florida Panthers
16. Umberger,R - Los Angeles Kings
17. Vermette,A - Phoenix Coyotes
18. Williams,Justin - San Jose Sharks
19. Liles,J - Carolina Hurricanes
20. LaRose,C - Boston Bruins
21. Hartnell,S - St.Louis Blues
22. Stoll,J - Dallas Stars
23. Martensson,T - Philadelphia Flyers
24. Ward,J - Colorado Avalanche
25. Moss,D - Detroit Red Wings
26. Williams,Jason - Edmonton Oilers
27. Bieksa,J - Toronto Maple Leafs
28. Ehrhoff,C - Ottawa Senators
29. Martin,P - New Jersey Devils
30. Dallman,K - Pittsburgh Penguins

The second and subsequent rounds will take place tomorrow at 9am at the Calgary Saddledome.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:51 PM   #7
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Flurry of moves signal radical change

Flurry of Moves signal radical change
11.07.00 14:30MST

Bure and Fata out, O'Neill, Gelinas and Macdonald in.

Valeri Bure and prospect Rico Fata have been traded to Carolina for veteran winger Martin Gelinas and centre Jeff O'Neil as per GM Dave Fyvie. The deal also includes two 3rd round draft picks going to Carolina, one in 2001 and another in 2002. In a separate move, undrafted College centre Andy Macdonald signed an entry level contract with the club for 2 years worth $865,000 a season.

"Picking up Gelinas and O'Neill addresses several needs we have on this hockey club right now." Dave Fyvie said of the transaction. "Valeri Bure is a legitimate top six winger who will thrive with the players they have in Carolina. We are happy to have had him here."

The 30yr old Gelinas joins his fifth franchise and brings a solid two-way game. "He can score and plays a solid 200ft game" Fyvie said of his new port side forward.

For Jeff O'Neill the trade brings new opportunities. "He's got speed and a nose for the net. I have a feeling he'll be useful on both the powerplay and the penalty killing units. He's so versatile and can play down the middle if we need him to."

With the trade, Fyvie seems to have addressed the need his team has for those elusive middle-six wingers he's been looking for all summer.

Name:  Andymcdonald.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  6.1 KB

With the trade announced, the young GM then unveiled another transaction - signing centre Andy MacDonald (pictured) from Colgate University. The young 5'11" centre went undrafted and produced 67 goals and 154 points in just 137 games over the past 4 years in the college ranks.

"We love his hockey sense and see this signing as found money." Said Fyvie of the move. "We see him playing potentially as a second line centre."

The three new forwards will hopefully signal a return to playoff hockey for the Flames who have finished out of the second season for 4 straight years.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:22 AM   #8
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Flames add grit

Flames add grit
18.08.00 14:30MST

Flames and Sharks swap wingers

Name:  dave-lowry-1998-234.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  30.6 KB

Dave Fyvie has announced that 14yr veteran Dave Lowry (pictured) has been acquired from the San Jose Sharks for winger Nils Ekman. The left winger produced 7 goals and 18 points in 71 games last season and is known for his grit, leadership and defensive acumen. He will join his new teammates in time for Training Camp held in just over a month.

On the other side, Nils Ekman of Sweden will join the Sharks. Last season, the skilled winger split his time between the big club and the minors and produced 2 goals and 9 points in 28 games for the Flames where he played predominately on the 4th line.

"We need someone like Lowry on this team." Noted GM Fyvie. "He brings a lot of qualities that our younger players need right now. There's no doubt Ekman will be a strong player down the line, but he was really getting lost in the numbers game with all the other young wingers we already have on this team."

11 years younger than Lowry, Ekman will join a Sharks team in transition as they attempt to get younger, whereas the Flames have quite a bit of youth on their side and are trying to augment the mix a bit.

The 35yr old Lowry is the 4th new player brought in by the new General Manager, joining fellow forwards Martin Gelinas, Jeff O'Neill and rookie Andy MacDonald. The Flames is his 5th stop on his NHL career that began in Vancouver in 1985. Lowry was an integral member of the Cinderella Florida Panthers team that made the Stanley Cup finals in 1996 where the winger netted 10 goals and 17 points in 22 playoff games.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:24 AM   #9
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Pre-Season Preview

Pre-Season Preview

Can the new regime in Calgary carry the Flames to the Playoffs?

As the Hockey calendar flips to the 2000/2001 season, the Flames will embark on a new path, under the new regime of rookie Coach/GM Dave Fyvie.

How the team does will rest largely with the cast of players Fyvie has retained and brought in. Returning are three key players that we've identified may have a large impact on how the team performs this season.

Below is a quick list of who came in and who went out this summer:

Players in:
F Andy MacDonald
F Martin Gelinas
F Jeff O'Neill
F Dave Lowry
G Ty Conklin (minors)
G Reinhard Divis (minors)

Players Out:
F Rene Corbet (expansion draft)
F Bill Lindsay (expansion draft)
F Andrei Nazarov (free agency)
D Wade Belak (free agency)
F Nils Ekman (trade)
F Valeri Bure (trade)
F Rico Fata (trade)
G Grant Fuhr (trade)

Key Player Profile - Jean Sebastien Giguere
Name:  jsgiguere.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  50.8 KB

Coming over from the Hartford Whalers in 1997 via trade, Giguere has slowly established himself as a legitimate NHL Starter. Last season, Giguere appeared in 46 games and delivered an impressive 2.12GAA and .927 SV%. If the Flames are going to have any chance on breaking their playoff drought, the 23yr old Giguere will again have to perform heroics.

Key Player Profile - Phil Housley
Name:  housely.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  99.4 KB

The veteran Blueliner is currently enjoying his second stint with the Flames. The ageless powerplay specialist can still quarterback on the man-advantage but will now have to be insulated more at even strength. The 36yr old as posted a respectable 24 goals and 94 points over his previous two seasons with the Flames and will continue to provide much-needed leadership amongst his much younger defensive partners.

Key Player Profile - Jarome Iginla
Name:  jarome.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  17.2 KB

It almost seems like yesterday that the Edmonton native was acquired for Franchise centre Joe Nieuwendyk in 1995. Since that time, Iginla has slowly matured into the face of the Franchise that previous GM Al Coates envisioned when trading for the young forward. Blessed with a strong stride and an excellent scoring touch, Iginla is fierce along the boards and often drops the gloves to assert his presence against the opposition. If the Flames are to play hockey next spring, it will be on Iginla's shoulders.

Last edited by DFyvie; 03-21-2020 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:27 AM   #10
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Notes from Training Camp

Notes from Training Camp
20.09.00 09:35MST

Who goes where and who was in the best shape?

With the start of the 2000/01 season on the horizon the annual Notes from Training has arrived outlining where players lineup on the depth chart and who showed up to camp in the best shape of their lives.

Forwards:

There have been some changes this year to the look of the Flames this season as the new General Manager has decidedly placed his stamp on the team.

After a few days of drills, these have been the most common line combinations:

Stillman Savard Iginla

Gelinas Macdonald St.Louis

Lowry Shantz O'Neill

Wiemer Wilm Domenichelli

Clark Johansson

Savard and Iginla paired up hasn't really surprised anyone, but the new second line of MacDonald, with St.Louis and fellow frenchman Gelinas has a lot of people talking. If Macdonald doesn't look ready for his own line, you may see O'Neill take on being the pivot and Macdonald given a minor role on the left side of Wilm on the 4th line.

Defense:

Not a lot of changes on the back-end this season from the previous year. Expect to see a bit less of Albelin and Housley and a bit more from youngsters Morris, and Regehr.

Regehr Morris

Albelin Housley

Lydman Hulse

Smith

The one major difference we've seen is placing Housley on the right side as he was predominately on the left side last season. It may aid his offense a bit more, but hamper him a bit when defending.

Goalies:

Jean-Sebastien Giguere

Fred Brathwaite

Brathwaite slots back in to a major role this season after losing his roster sport to Giguere and veteran Fuhr last season. Both goalies have very contrasting styles, Giguere relying far more on his size and technique whereas Brathwaite is a far more physical goaltender. Giguere is expected to start at least 50 games this season, but Brathwaite has shown he can handle a large workload too.

Other notes:

The powerplay has a different look this year too. Fyvie is utilizing the wingers more for zone entry. The top unit is using a 1-3-1 system with Housley on the point. The second unit is more spread out and conventional with Morris on the point. St.Louis has also been seen on the point.

The Penalty Kill has been amended to using more of a Diamond formation keep shots to the outside, with the units collapsing when down to 3 man formation.

Robyn Regehr showed up to camp early this year and was deemed by the medical staff to be in the best shape with Jean-Sebastien Giguere coming in a close second. Fyvie said he was impressed with all of the player's commitment to fitness in the off-season but was especially encouraged by his younger players.

The first of 7 exhibition games begins tonight as the Flames host the New York Islanders. Puck drops at 19:15MST.

Last edited by DFyvie; 03-22-2020 at 05:29 AM.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:20 AM   #11
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Flames finish pre-season with perfect record

Flames finish pre-season with perfect record
29.09.00 22:15MST

Islanders fall to Flames in final pre-season tilt

Name:  stillman.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  30.1 KB

The Calgary Flames closed out their pre-season schedule the same way it began: with a win over the lowly New York Islanders. Leading the charge tonight, with a first star selection and 3 helpers in the 5-1 drubbing, was left winger Cory Stillman (pictured).

"We had a lot of fun these past two weeks. Our powerplay has been really clicking this fall. Let's hope it continues this winter." Stillman finished the 7 game pre-season with 4 goals and 13 points, 9 of which with the man-advantage.

Flames fans have much to feel optimistic about. Though the pre-season counts for nothing, it was encouraging to see positive results up and down the lineup.

The new-look second line, affectionately referred to as the "M&M's", featuring Martin Gelinas, college graduate Andy MacDonald, and Martin St.Louis were surprisingly effective during the exhibition season. All three players featured heavily on the scoresheet this September, combining for 8 goals and 16 points over 7 games.

The Goaltending battery of Brathwaite and Giguere posted solid numbers too. Brathwaite, eager to impress on his return to the NHL, provided a respectable .913SV% and a 2.33GAA. Giguere was better still, posting an impressive .949SV% and a stingy 1.50GAA.

Coach Fyvie was impressed with how his new look 'shutdown line' worked in September also. Shantz, with newcomers Lowry (from San Jose) and Jeff O'Neill (from Carolina) consistently shutdown the opposition and won key draws in their own end. "They worked really well together. You have no idea until you put them in a real situation. It was nice to see them feed off of each other. They all get it and want to contribute."

Over the 7 game exhibition season, Cory Stillman led the Flames with 13 points, with Jarome Iginla coming in second with a team leading 6 goals and 11 points. Marc Savard was third with 1 goal and 7 points. Leading all defenseman was Toni Lydman with 6pts.

The NHL season starts in earnest with Calgary hosting the Detroit Red Wings October 5th.

Last edited by DFyvie; 03-23-2020 at 05:30 AM.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:22 PM   #12
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Fyvie wins Home Opener

Fyvie wins Home Opener
05.10.00 21:45MST

Flames send Red Wings packing

Rookie Coach and General Manager Dave Fyvie got his first National Hockey League win tonight as the Calgary Flames dispatched the visiting Red Wings by a score of 5 to 2.

Team Captain, and first star selection Jarome Iginla lead the team with 3 goals. Starter J.S. Giguere received the 3rd star for a 47 save performance.

"We really battled and managed to make their PK unit pay dearly for the penalities." Dave Fyvie spoke in front of the media after the game. "Giguere faced a lot of rubber and kept us in the game early."

After 4 minutes of play in the first period, Detroit had already amassed 17 shots on the net, many of them on their first powerplay of the game.

Also scoring for Calgary were defensemen Derek Morris and Phil Housley.

Kirk Maltby of Detroit started the scoring at 4:56 of the first, followed shortly by Derek Morris at 8:09 of the first. After that Jarome Iginla went to work, scoring his first late in the frame at 19:26 on the powerplay.

Deadline acquisition from last year, Peter Bondra scored his first of the year at 2:38 of the second to tie the game for Detroit. Phil Housley took the lead for the Flames for good with his go-ahead-goal at 3:05. Captain Jarome Iginla scored two more to ice the game later in the second at 9:17 (his 200th career point) and at 13:06 respectively.

"Anytime your best player dominates like that, you've got a chance to win. We're lucky that our best players made the plays tonight."

Shots were 49 to 18 for the Red Wings. The Red Wings went 1 for 8 on the powerplay. Calgary went 2 for 7.

Calgary plays host to the Colorado Avalanche October 10th, and Detroit heads North to face Edmonton tomorrow before getting 4 days off.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:38 PM   #13
Perceptor
Minors (Triple A)

This is awesome to read as a fellow Calgarian. I often thought what if with Jiggy and St. Louis if management had handled their situations better.

Love that you’ve kept them and can’t wait to see how you do before the magical 2004 run
Old 03-24-2020, 03:04 AM   #14
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Facing St.Louis in Tampa in the finals in '04 was tough for me. My Dad and I really like St.Louis when he was in Calgary - he showed a lot of promise and was an exciting puck hound. Sadly, the new regime probably just glanced at his stats and small dimensions and cut him and the rest is history.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:00 AM   #15
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Savard nets trick in route of Blue Jackets

Savard nets Trick in route of Blue Jackets
12.10.00 21:47MST

Flames remain undefeated against Expansion Jackets

In what can be termed a foregone conclusion, the Calgary Flames beat the expansion Blue Jackets by a score of 3-0 tonight with Calgary's number one centre registering his first hat trick of the year.

Name:  marcsavard.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  33.6 KB

Marc Savard (pictured), known more for his passing, started the scoring at 14:29 of the second period in the one-sided affair.

"It was a nice surprise to see him shoot the puck as much as he did tonight. He got some good looks and was justly rewarded." Mused Coach Fyvie. "Anytime you host an expansion team, you have to make the game count. You've got to take them seriously, play them hard and earn your 2pts in the standings."

Registering his first shutout of the season, and his first start, was veteran backup, Fred Brathwaite. "I was happy to get a start in just our third game of the season. Coach told me earlier in the week that this game was mine, so I was ready." Brathwaite only faced 7 shots, and was completely redundant in the 3rd as Columbus failed to even register a shot.

Savard added to his goal total in the 3rd tallying his second of the game at 2:45 and capping his hat trick at 6:11.

Shots were 45-7 for Calgary. On the powerplay, Calgary went 0 for 3 and Columbus was 0-4. Calgary now stands at 2-0-1 and the Blue Jackets are off to a 1-2-0 record.

Calgary will hit the road for the first time this season and face the New York Islanders on Saturday. Columbus continues their current road swing with a date with the Avalanche, also on Saturday, the 14th October.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:42 AM   #16
DFyvie
Major Leagues

First Battle of Alberta goes to Calgary

First Battle of Alberta goes to Calgary
01.11.00 22:02MST

Newcomer Jeff O'Neill nets winner in Round 1

The Calgary Flames have thrown down the gauntlet in this season's first edition of the Battle of Alberta with a 3-2 win.

Jeff O'Neill, enjoying his first BoA, scored the winner unassisted at 11:12 of the second period. "So this was my first Battle of Alberta, and it was pretty tense. You'd never know this was November. It felt like a playoff game out there." Said O'Neil, who was brought in over the summer from the Carolina Hurricanes. It was Jeff O'Neill's 4th goal of the season and gave the visiting Flames a 3-1 lead.

Jarome Iginla opened the scoring on the powerplay at 13:22 of the first, from Savard and Stillman. Bill Guerin tied it up early in the second period, also on the powerplay, from Smith and Comrie at 1:20. Cale Hulse, the first star selection, took the lead at 7:38 from St.Louis and Shantz. It was his first of the season.

After O'Neill's insurance goal, Ryan Smyth of Edmonton made it 3-2 at 11:30 of the second with a goal from Laflamme and Devereaux. That was as close as the Oilers would get as the Flames shut the door in the third.

Jarome Iginla led both teams with a whopping 10 shots on net.

Bill Ranford, Edmonton's former starter of past glory days, started in net for the Oilers and made 27 saves on 30 shots. Giguere made 24 saves on 26 shots.

Calgary went 1-8 on the powerplay, and the Oilers went 1-6.

The 6-5-2 Calgary Flames host the Pittsburgh Penguins on Saturday November 4th, and the 7-6-1 Edmonton Oilers host the Minnesota Wild on Friday November 3rd before going on a 5 game road-trip next week.

This was the first of 5 meetings between the two teams. The next Battle of Alberta takes place again in Edmonton later in the on Sunday the 19th.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:55 AM   #17
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Milestones scored in tilt against the Rangers

Milestones scored in tilt against the Rangers
18.11.00 22:14MST

Flames crush visiting Rangers 6-2

Name:  cory-stillman-1997-43.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  35.5 KB

Former first rounder Cory Stillman (pictured) scored his 100th career goal en-route to a 6-2 win over the visiting Rangers. Stillman opened the scoring at 14:36 of the first, with his centenary goal, in what turned out to be a route of the New Yorkers. It was Stillman's 6th goal, and 15th point of the season.

"It was great to get it out of the way. I had no idea I was so close to 100 goals. I think I checked at the beginning of the year and just forgot about it." Stillman added. "It wasn't until they announced over the PA that I realized it. Kind of funny, really."

The Rangers tied the game up at 16:16 of the second off the stick of Petr Nedved before the Flames took the lead once again with a Derek Morris snapshot at 18:21 from Gelinas and O'Neill, who was playing his first game down the middle of the second line.

The game stayed close until the 3rd period when Calgary managed to score 4 to New York's one. Iginla on the powerplay at 3:27, Lydman on the powerplay at 10:09, St.Louis on the powerplay at 10:26 and Regehr at 10:51. The 3 goals in less than a minute sealed it for the Flames who allowed only one goal in the final frame: Tim Taylor at 7:31 from Leetch and Quintal.

The second Rangers' goal capped the night with another career milestone. Brian Leetch's 850th point which received a full standing ovation from the Calgary faithful.

"Obviously it would've been nice to win the game, but I'll take the point. I've had the benefit of playing this wonderful game for a very long time." Said Leetch.

Shots were 53 to 25 for Calgary. The Flames went 3 for 5 on the powerplay, whilst the Rangers went 0 for 3.

The Flames next play the Oilers in Edmonton tomorrow night while the Rangers return home to face the Leafs on 21st November.

Last edited by DFyvie; 03-26-2020 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:02 PM   #18
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Iginla scores 100 against Wild

Iginla scores 100 against Wild
22.11.00 22:25MST

Captain hits milestone in OT

Name:  jarome.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  17.2 KB

Just a few days after his linemate Cory Stillman scored his 100th goal, Jarome Iginla (pictured) followed suit with a milestone of his own, as the Flames downed the Wild in OT by a score of 2-1.

"It feels great to score 100 goals in the best league in the world." Beamed Jarome Iginla, who potted his special goal for the Overtime winner. "To be able to win a game with it too is pretty special." Iginla leads all Flames with 11 goals and 23 points in 23 games.

Tonight's win is the fourth consecutive time the Flames have beaten their new division rivals this season.

The scoring opened with a powerplay goal off the stick of Tommy Albelin 14:44 of the first period. Minnesota tied up the tight contest with a powerplay goal of their own from Espen Knutsen at 18:01 of the second period. The game remained tied throughout the 3rd setting it up for Jarome Iginla to score the winner in at 00:38 of overtime.

Coach Fyvie was pleased the result. "It was a tight affair out there tonight. Anytime you can win a game on the road it is important. We were hungry after that tough loss in Edmonton and are were eager to get the right result tonight."

The shots were 34 to 11 for Calgary. The Flames went 2 for 8 on the powerplay whereas the Wild went 1 for 9 on the man advantage.

The Flames return home to host the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim on Friday the 24th. Minnesota remains at home to host the Chicago Blackhawks, also on Friday the 24th.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:43 PM   #19
DFyvie
Major Leagues

GM shakes up Flames

GM shakes up Flames

Name:  drury.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  20.6 KB

Flames send prospect and Wilm for Chris Drury and Tom Barrasso

Hot off the heels of another loss, a 10-1 drubbing at that hands of the Vancouver Canucks, GM Dave Fyvie pulled the trigger on a deal with the Colorado Avalanche.

Coming to Calgary is veteran netminder Tom Barrasso, who's currently toiling in the minors, and former Rookie of the Year centre Chris Drury (pictured). Going the other way is shutdown centre Clark Wilm and Russian AHL'er Oleg Saprykin.

"Drury offers a lot of what we need on this team right now. We're having a difficult time finding a fit for the second line. By getting Chris, we may be able to move bodies back to where they belong." Fyvie didn't mention names but he did highlight the musical chairs of trying Stillman, O'Neill and MacDonald centring the second line. Whether Drury goes to the second line, or moves to the top line remains unclear. But everyone agrees that the Flames got the best player out of the 4 involved in the transaction.

Going to the Avalanche, Clarke Wilm has slowly established himself as productive shutdown presence down the middle, and the 19yr old Saprykin has shown flashes of brilliance in the AHL.

"We'll certainly miss them." Said Fyvie of the duo. "I think Saprykin is not far from making the NHL. We're quite deep on the wings so it seemed best to move him to a team that needs him."

Coming along with Drury is 35yr old goaltender Tom Barrasso. Currently playing in the AHL, Barrasso is hoping for another chance to play in the National Hockey League. Sources indicate that taking Barrasso was integral to completing the deal for Colorado who were eager to offload the netminder.

Colorado currently sits second on the Conference with 51pts in 38 games. Calgary sits 11th with 36pts in 38 games and are currently mired in a 6 games winless streak.

Drury is expected to start tomorrow when the Flames host the Montreal Canadiens in the annual New Year's eve battle between the two teams.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:26 AM   #20
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Flames snap winless streak with win over Habs

Flames snap winless streak with win over Habs

Drury leads Flames in first as a Flame

In the last game of the year, new Flame Chris Drury helped his new team to an emphatic win over the visiting Canadiens 4-2. Drury finished the game with 1 goal and 1 assist and received the first star selection while skating on the new look line of St.Louis, O'Neill and Drury.

"It felt really good out there, and having a chance to play with two wingers that can really skate makes my job easier." Noted the new forward. "I got a chance to play on the powerplay with them too we scored so I hope it makes the coach happy."

The new line combined for 6 points as St.Louis, O'Neill and Drury figured on the both of the line's goals, one on even strength and the other on the powerplay.

Rookie Michael Ryder opened the scoring at 00:56 of the second period on the powerplay from Koivu and Linden. The Habs held the lead until O'Neill tied it up in the third period from Drury and St.Louis on the powerplay. Calgary kept scoring with goals from Shantz at 4:11, and Stillman at 8:35 of the third before Montreal answered back with a goal from Sergei Zholtok at 12:21. Chris Drury scored his first as a Flame at 13:52 to ice the game for the hosts.

Shots were a whopping 47 to 17 for the Flames. Calgary went 1 for 6 on the man advantage, and Montreal went 1 for 4.

With the win, the Flames come within one game of .500 and puts an end to their 6 games winless slide which has seen them go 0-5-1 over the past few weeks.

Drury and the Flames next play the Sharks in San Jose on 3rd of January. Montreal returns home to play the New York Islanders on 2nd of January.