Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:21 PM   #1
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
How to migrate to Windows 10 with OOTP still functional

I posted this buried in a thread and then realized it might help other people who didn't read that particular thread.

Windows 10 is the best, most powerful, easiest to use and most stable Windows ever. It just needs a very little effort to make it work right. Not installing it is basically being kind of dumb because 7 and 8 will be abandoned and the upgrade is both better AND free.

How to upgrade safely, in five easy steps:

First, unlicense OOTP

Second, install Windows 10 cleanly: How to Do a Clean Install of Windows 10
Be sure to make a recovery USB and keep it handy.

Third, stop Microsoft from spying on you: https://fix10.isleaked.com

Fourth, get a better Start menu: Windows 10 Start Menu Alternatives - the best free and paid Start Menu apps which you need

I am a really big fan of StartIsBack++, but any of those listed are a big improvement.

Fifth, reinstall and relicense OOTP and enjoy
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.

Last edited by The Wolf; 05-20-2016 at 12:23 PM.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:15 PM   #2
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Win 10 installed by itself about 2 months back while i left my PC on for an extended period. I have not had to unlicense OOTP or do anything to get OOTP to work normally. So while you guide will help, it may not be necessary.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:51 PM   #3
Charley575
All Star Reserve

I have two machines. My newer laptop was a Win 8 machine and the upgrade went as smooth as a babies arse with no problems of any kind whatsoever. My older, but still vastly superior machine is a desktop that was a Win 7 machine. That upgrade also went fairly well, but I had to put some admin whammy on the My Documents folder so OOTP could write to it. That was the only problem I had on either machine.

Agree with you about Win 10. It's been great and is very stable.
Charley575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:40 PM   #4
mensch
Banned

Infractions: 0/1 (99)
I installed a fresh copy of win10 on my new gaming computer. Edge never worked right. The pages were weird. After a while it gave up the ghost so I started using IE. That was fudgy also. After a while I installed chrome which worked fine. Then other things in win10 started to go wrong. So I installed my trusty win7 and all is well. Win10 needs a solid service pack before it gets my business again. It's the OS of the future but the future has not arrived as far as I'm concerned. Congrats to all you folks who got it to work right.
mensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:07 PM   #5
camerondrucker
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Any advice for the idiot that didn't unlicense prior to windows 10?
camerondrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:14 PM   #6
camerondrucker
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I unlicensed my laptop ootp 17 in order to play it on my PC in the mean time and it's still saying my license key is invalid because I'm over the limit yet it isnt even being used at all currently.. This is unacceptable
Old 05-20-2016, 10:32 PM   #7
camerondrucker
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Really sorry to bombard your thread like this but i found the solution. Just had a to uninstall and reinstall the game and it went back to normal didn't even have to re license it.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:50 PM   #8
RchW
Hall Of Famer

That's how it normally works.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:46 AM   #9
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensch View Post
I installed a fresh copy of win10 on my new gaming computer. Edge never worked right. The pages were weird. After a while it gave up the ghost so I started using IE. That was fudgy also. After a while I installed chrome which worked fine. Then other things in win10 started to go wrong. So I installed my trusty win7 and all is well. Win10 needs a solid service pack before it gets my business again. It's the OS of the future but the future has not arrived as far as I'm concerned. Congrats to all you folks who got it to work right.
We're running it on every PC at the office and I'm running it on two desktops and two laptops at home without a single glitch and have never even heard of a problem like yours.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:34 AM   #10
cheo25
All Star Reserve

I switched to Windows 10 last year, and it would not recognize my 1920x1200 setting on my machine. So I switched back.

If there is a way to switch and keep my 1920x1200 setting, I'd love to hear about it.
cheo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:39 AM   #11
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheo25 View Post
I switched to Windows 10 last year, and it would not recognize my 1920x1200 setting on my machine. So I switched back.

If there is a way to switch and keep my 1920x1200 setting, I'd love to hear about it.
Make sure your video card drivers are up-to-date. It's possible that Windows is just using generic drivers and those tend to be limited in ways like you describe.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:54 PM   #12
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I run it at that resolution. All that you needed was a new graphics driver.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:00 PM   #13
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Does anyone know how Windows 10 handles earlier versions of OOTP? I still play OOTP5, 11, 12 and 14 on my Win 7 computer because I like some of the graphic elements of those earlier versions.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 04:06 PM   #14
cheo25
All Star Reserve

Thanks, eriqjaffe and The Wolf, for the advice. I will give it a shot.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:02 PM   #15
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks, eriqjaffe and The Wolf, for the advice. I will give it a shot.
Please do, it's the best Windows ever. Bonus: it's amazingly stable and virtually uncrashable in normal use.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:28 AM   #16
cheo25
All Star Reserve

Thanks for the help. Installed Windows 10. The highest resolution I could get was 1920x1080, but that's good enough for me. I appreciate the help.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:21 AM   #17
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks for the help. Installed Windows 10. The highest resolution I could get was 1920x1080, but that's good enough for me. I appreciate the help.
What graphics or graphics card are you running?

Old 05-22-2016, 07:02 PM   #18
cheo25
All Star Reserve

Running Nvidia GeForce 840M, I think. I did update the graphics driver before I downloaded and installed Windows 10.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:41 PM   #19
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Update it again and get the specific Windows 10 driver for the 840 from Drivers | GeForce

Also update your display driver.

That should then give you 1920x1200.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:01 AM   #20
cheo25
All Star Reserve

Thank you, sir. I will do just that tonight after I get home from work.