Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 04-04-2020, 03:06 PM   #1
thesmokeshow
Minors (Double A)

Injury Proneness

Does this rating lower for players that stay healthy over an extended period of time??

I’m aware players go to fragile after a series of injuries or a major one. But does it work the other way? Where players get more durable for staying healthy. Any feedback is appreciated.
thesmokeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 05:21 PM   #2
discodude5
Major Leagues

I ran a test since I always wondered about it as well.
All players were fragile when I added to my shortlist. I only added younger than 28 year olds, except Gonzalez by mistake.
Checked the ones that are now iron man and they had no serious injuries.
So yes, it does seem they can improve.
Attached Images

Last edited by discodude5; 04-04-2020 at 05:23 PM.
discodude5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:09 PM   #3
thesmokeshow
Minors (Double A)

Just to confirm your data. The ones showing up Iron Man were Fragile at one point?

This is a pretty huge thing from my perspective. The only reason I don’t run challenge mode is because I think OOTP is too harsh with giving the Fragile tag to young players especially after one major injury.

So, if you could then regain durability, I would never alter them. I would just allow things to play out and see if they can work their way back to being more durable.

It would be awesome if someone from the OOTP team could comment on this. I looked in the manual and didn’t find anything on this specific situation. Which is nuts considering how thorough that thing is. You guys did a really good job with that.

Last edited by thesmokeshow; 04-04-2020 at 06:10 PM.
thesmokeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:27 PM   #4
discodude5
Major Leagues

Yes, they were all fragile when I added them to my shortlist.
discodude5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:46 PM   #5
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by discodude5 View Post
I ran a test since I always wondered about it as well.
All players were fragile when I added to my shortlist. I only added younger than 28 year olds, except Gonzalez by mistake.
Checked the ones that are now iron man and they had no serious injuries.
So yes, it does seem they can improve.
First, awesome for doing that
Second, AWESOME for sharing it

A few thoughts
1) this rating is for "Injury History". This gives an impression that it's backward looking and not forward looking, so players should "improve" if they go without injuries.

2) This makes sense. We don't know which players are more or less likely to get injured, except players that have been injured are more likely to be injured again - and pitchers are more likely to be injured than hitters.

3) I took a quick peak under the hood (the player editor - in OOTP 19) and found some interesting things
--when you sort by "injury" it doesn't sort by the text. All the "Iron Man" rated players weren't together. They were interspersed with the "Durable" players.
--Some of the "Durable" players had lower "Injury Proneness" ratings than the "Iron Man" players.
--It appears to sort by the "Injury Proneness" rating - and not by "Injury History".

I started looking at a the "Fragile" players. They were, for the few I looked at, in perfect order of their "Injury Proneness" rating. I then looked at players with a "Normal Rating". There were a lot more of them, so I only looked at the players on the edges and a few from different sections of the list. The players on the edges had ratings close to the ratings of the next group. For example, the first player in the "Normal" group had a 119 "Injury Proneness" rating (the "Fragile players all had "Injury Proneness" ratings above 122). While the last player in the "Normal" group had a 31 "Injury Proneness" rating (the "Durable" players all had "Injury Proneness" ratings below 30).

If this is true, one can sort by "Injury History" and see which players within a subset (Normal, Fragile, Durable, or Iron Man) are more or less likely to be injured.

4) Any injury rating should have a lot of uncertainty in it. As I mentioned before, we don't really know which players are going to get injured, and which won't. Ideally, for me, players would have a set "Injury Proneness" rating that his hidden to the user (outside of the editor). This rating should change over time (higher when older, higher right after and injury, etc...) Then, a separate rating that is displayed to the user based off of Injury history and input from the team's trainers and, maybe, scouts.

Last edited by CBeisbol; 04-04-2020 at 08:48 PM.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote